PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE!!! This could happen to your boat

bran7869
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Last week we took the boat out for an afternoon set. During the set a small thurnderstorm passed through causing rain for about 10-15 minutes. We rode out the storm and finished our set for the afternoon.

I currently rent a covered area about 5 miles from my home to store my boat when not in use for 4-5 days. Because of the rain I decided to bring my boat home so I could remove the cover throughout the day to allow the carpet and interior to dry. I unloaded all the my gear and wiped down and removed all removable interior seats and stored them in the garage. Over the next 3 days I would uncover the boat and open all storage compartments in the morning before I left for work then cover it back before dark.

Yesterday (sunday) came and we decided to again get in a few sets. During uncovering of the boat and loading all my gear I noticed an abnormal spot on my carpet about the size of a silver dollar. Upon further inspection I noticed it was melted!! It wasn't melted all the way through to the fiberglass but just enough that it liquified the carpet then cooled down to become a hard spot. This spot was not there when I removed all my gear and wiped down the interior after my last set. I started looking around the interior to see if there was anymore spots like this or any debris from something that would burn this area and nothing was found. I could not figure out where or how this burn came about.

I continued loading my gear and putting all the seats back in the boat. As I was standing in the cockpit near the burned area moving gear around under the seats I felt the burning sensation on TOP of my foot and I said "what the hell"? It seems that the sun was reflecting off my new mirror and concentrating onto that spot. This is very similar to using a magnifing glass to incenerate ants when you were a kid, although I had never heard of this happening with a mirror. Normally I have a cover on my mirror and turn it down when I get through riding but over the winter I purchased a CIPA 3 piece mirror and the way it mounts on the tower arm it will not allow it to turn down. My old cover also does not fit.

Being an engineer I could not stand it and I researched this over the weekend and found that it is possible for mirrors left out in the sun to create a small scale Concentrating Solar Thermal (CST) system. Over a period of 3 clear sunny days my boat never moved so the sun made the same pass day after day. At one certain time each day the reflection off the new mirror (which has convex outer mirror sections) concentrated the sunlight to one particular area on my carpet raising that temperature to the melting point of the carpet material.

I don't know if this has ever happened to any other members but I thought it would be a good post to warn other boat owners of this issue. If possible keep your mirrors covered when storing your boat for an exteded period of time. Although this is unusual and rare but if the circumstances present themselves this could happen to you. I'm just thankful this happened to my removable carpet and not a seat skin, speaker or even my cover!!!

I will post picture tonight!

Thanks.

Brandon

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
good info!! thanks!!!!!

flipper
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Never herd or thought of that....makes sense though. Thanks for the head up.

CarlosCabanas
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the post!! Could even start the boat ablaze!!!

chudson
02-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Very good information to pass along, I don't have that type of mirror but I do have friends that do, Thanks

mayo93prostar
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
thanks for passing this along. this is another one of the benefits of this site. I agree with Carlos, my first thought was that it could have caught on fire!!

wakolman
02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Jeez, that sucks. I thought you were going to tell us that parts of the spy satellite shot down last week hit your boat and melted the carpet.

bigmac
02-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Interesting. Most ski mirrors are convex in nature, so I'm not clear on how yours could concentrate sunlight. That would normally require a concave mirror. Is your mirror the one that has the two 4x6 "wings" on it like this?

http://www.cipamirrors.com/scan250d.JPG

bran7869
02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
yeah thats it. i will post some pics tonight!

WTRSK1R
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
That stinks. Thanks for the heads up. I too have that mirror, and occasionally leave the boat out to dry for the afternoon after a morning set. I will keep it in mind. Thankfully have not had any issue yet.

Muttley
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow. My boat had a melted spot on the carpet when I bought it. I never dreamed that that's what it was from!

JohnnyB
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Fit-Baby-In-Sight.pro

Had a mirror like this fall off the car seat and lay face up in my truck for a 1/2 day....it melted a 1/2" wide by 20+" long stripe in the headliner of my then brand new Chev Tahoe.

Chas
02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I saw a brand new Moomba advertised for sale with a burn in the carpet. They said it was from the sun being focused by the window, but it sure could have been a mirror. I don't recall if the boat was advertised on Ebay or Boat Trader.com

wakolman
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Fit-Baby-In-Sight.pro

Had a mirror like this fall off the car seat and lay face up in my truck for a 1/2 day....it melted a 1/2" wide by 20+" long stripe in the headliner of my then brand new Chev Tahoe.

We have that same one! I need to get it away from my wife before Murphy's law kicks in.

JBaker
02-26-2008, 03:42 AM
We have that same one! I need to get it away from my wife before Murphy's law kicks in.

I've found Murphy to be a bit sexist...always seems to be targeting women...

Good info to have and, like you said, I guess it could have been much worse than a burn in the carpet.

bran7869
02-26-2008, 09:50 AM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/bran7869/CIMG0751.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/bran7869/CIMG0750.jpg

Here are a couple pics I snapped last night!

hydro-therapy
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
So if the sunray is that intense then it is feasible that someone with a large enough mirror could aim the reflection towards the lake to thaw the ice???????? winter sucks..... :D

TI Skiier
02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Interesting. Up here in the cloudy old northwest we never see the sun so it's not a problem I have encountered!

JimN
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
How does a convex mirror concentrate the light on one spot when the focal point is behind the mirrored surface? I would think the reflected light would be diffused, unless it's passing through the mirror and focusing behind the assembly.

atlfootr
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Last week we took the boat out for an afternoon set.
During the set a small thurnderstorm passed through causing rain for about 10-15 minutes.
We rode out the storm and finished our set for the afternoon. What? No pic's ...