PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug wires

CRAIGTHEMAN
02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
does anyone know on a boat how long do there plugs wires last...i have a 2000 x star with the LTR and i know that they r at lest 4 to 5 seasons old..it has a little over 600 hours on it and the wires do look good..it has 8mm talor wires on it so i don't know if that is factory or someone else put them on?????

flipper
02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I replace mine every other season. That's probably overkill though.

TMCNo1
02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I installed a set of Accel 8mm wires on our '89 18 years ago and they are still on there! I don't see changing them anytime soon. My mechanic did a test on them 4 years ago while doing some ignition work and said they were good to go for several more years.

WTRSK1R
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I suppose it depends on the number of hours you put on, but my '92 had the original wires on it for all 14 years I owned it, and never had an ignition issue. My '04 still has the originals in it now and I have no plans to replace them any time soon.

Steve

CRAIGTHEMAN
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
seams like they last a long time if you take care of your boat..thanks guys

hester
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Anyone know the current plug wire part number for a 1999 LTR motor with the northstar distributorless ignition? Current wires are Packard Electric Marine which I believe was bought by delphi.
Others said they have Taylor but no mention of part number. Contacted skidim but the special order price was a bit high. Might consider making a custom set. Thanks

Thrall
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
14yrs and 500hrs on my PS 190 wires, still ran like a top last fall when I sold it.

JimN
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
does anyone know on a boat how long do there plugs wires last...i have a 2000 x star with the LTR and i know that they r at lest 4 to 5 seasons old..it has a little over 600 hours on it and the wires do look good..it has 8mm talor wires on it so i don't know if that is factory or someone else put them on?????

The way they look tells you precisely squat. High RPM running with high voltage means a bad conductor can cause problems for the spark intensity. Run it hard and look at the plugs- if they all look the same and they're the right color, you may be OK. If they're unevenly colored, probably not.

Finnsdad
04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
for the older boats they're cheap ($28), so i dont have a problem with replacing every couple years.

1redTA
04-14-2010, 07:27 PM
You can test wires for the amount of ohms present. But you would have to find the wires "resistance" to see if they are worn out. I like to look at the wires at night and see if there is a light show

JimN
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
You can test wires for the amount of ohms present. But you would have to find the wires "resistance" to see if they are worn out. I like to look at the wires at night and see if there is a light show

You can check for that but when the motor is running, DC resistance means nothing. A good DC resistance can still be a high impedance wire at high RPM.

I definitely agree about looking for a light show in the dark.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
We used to mist a little water from a spray bottle onto the plug wires and listnen and watch the tach. A bad wire will sometimes show itself.

robin
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
still running the OEM wires from 1999. have 300 hours on em and counting. stored indoors in the winter, cleaned regularly, etc keeps em going

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Another way we used to test wires on points vehicles was to grab the wire and remove from the plug while the engine was running. If you felt the spark the wire needed to be replaced. You could also record the drop in RPM and have a cylinder balance.

JimN
04-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Another way we used to test wires on points vehicles was to grab the wire and remove from the plug while the engine was running. If you felt the spark the wire needed to be replaced. You could also record the drop in RPM and have a cylinder balance.

Have you done this on a motor with HEI? I'd recommend passing on that, especially if someone has a pacemaker. It's a little tingle on a points distributor with a standard coil but on a newer one that puts out over 50KV, it's a pretty good wake-up call.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Have you done this on a motor with HEI? I'd recommend passing on that, especially if someone has a pacemaker. It's a little tingle on a points distributor with a standard coil but on a newer one that puts out over 50KV, it's a pretty good wake-up call.

Thats why I specified points. I do remember trying that when the HEI came out and being rather regretful that I was leaning up against the fender. Current when in my hand and back to the fender via............, well, you know.

Most of the people on here haven't had the fun of charging up a condenser and tossing it to someone who just finished washing their hands. Good Tech School humor right there.

JimN
04-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Thats why I specified points. I do remember trying that when the HEI came out and being rather regretful that I was leaning up against the fender. Current when in my hand and back to the fender via............, well, you know.

Most of the people on here haven't had the fun of charging up a condenser and tossing it to someone who just finished washing their hands. Good Tech School humor right there.

Sorry, I didn't see the points reference.

I had my left hand on an exhaust manifold and grabbed a whole handful of sparks when I needed to adjust the timing on a MC with TBI. At 9AM, it kinda set the tone for the whole day.

My friends' college roommate couldn't not touch other peoples' stuff and Steve, having worked with electronics as a hobby since he was about 9 years old, decided that a dual cap with about a 500WVDC rating could get Bob's attention if it was charged. It was left under the daily newspaper and after digging through the pile Bob picked up the cap, tossed it in the air a couple of times and the last time, caught it in his open hand with the legs pointing straight down. It was warm and his hand was moist enough that he ended up with four little burns and Steve ended up with a cap that got a flying lesson.

That's just good, clean fun- I don't care where you are.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the points reference.

I had my left hand on an exhaust manifold and grabbed a whole handful of sparks when I needed to adjust the timing on a MC with TBI. At 9AM, it kinda set the tone for the whole day.

My friends' college roommate couldn't not touch other peoples' stuff and Steve, having worked with electronics as a hobby since he was about 9 years old, decided that a dual cap with about a 500WVDC rating could get Bob's attention if it was charged. It was left under the daily newspaper and after digging through the pile Bob picked up the cap, tossed it in the air a couple of times and the last time, caught it in his open hand with the legs pointing straight down. It was warm and his hand was moist enough that he ended up with four little burns and Steve ended up with a cap that got a flying lesson.

That's just good, clean fun- I don't care where you are.

While learning about distributors in tech school, while everyone was out for lunch, I ran wire under the u-shaped shop table and connected one end to box end wrench that the guys across the table from me were using. At my end I had a HEI dist. clamped in a vise. When class resumed, and the wrench was picked up, I gave that dist a good spin. Got a good holler out of that one. My instructor even appreciated the ingenuity.

JimN
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
While learning about distributors in tech school, while everyone was out for lunch, I ran wire under the u-shaped shop table and connected one end to box end wrench that the guys across the table from me were using. At my end I had a HEI dist. clamped in a vise. When class resumed, and the wrench was picked up, I gave that dist a good spin. Got a good holler out of that one. My instructor even appreciated the ingenuity.

I have a customer who puts ceramic planters at the top of the steps leading to the front door and just about every weekend, drunken college students knock them over, sometimes breaking them. I'd like to put something on them that would give a good jolt to the little dorks but knowing that at some point one with a scheister lawyer for a father will come along and they'll sue my azz off for hurting their little, fragile, liquored mess of a kid.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I have a customer who puts ceramic planters at the top of the steps leading to the front door and just about every weekend, drunken college students knock them over, sometimes breaking them. I'd like to put something on them that would give a good jolt to the little dorks but knowing that at some point one with a scheister lawyer for a father will come along and they'll sue my azz off for hurting their little, fragile, liquored mess of a kid.

I see the temptation.

east tx skier
04-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Kind of like a spring gun. Satisfies our sense of justice to no end, but taint legal.

ahhudgins
04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I do circuit board repair and my sister-in-law brought a board from her employer to our office and some how managed to carry the board from her company to our office with no problem. When she handed me the board she let out a scream and got two burn marks on her fingers from a 160V DC capacitor that was still charged. I felt sorry for her but I had to laugh, it's my sister-in-law!:D

I just replaced the wires on my 95 because I was doing a tune up. The inside of my cap was in pretty bad shape so I replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. After all of the discussion on the octane issue, I'm also going to start putting 89 octane in my boat. I've been using 87 octane since I purchased the boat 3 years ago, but after checking my manual, I see it calls for 89.