PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Bimini question for today

ProStar Slalom
02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Shopping for a new bimini. Most websites list them with ranges of widths....for example, 73-78 inches wide. So, are they adjustable, or do they have to be cut to your specific width once you receive it? Thanks.

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 09:46 AM
there is no dumb question, only people who are not smart enough to ask!!!

seems to me they have some flex in them so this would account for the size variation. you will get a better answer soon on here so keep ur eyes open!!

BHT
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
The bimini is flexible at the attachment points giving the ability to have a 2-3 inch range in width. When I had a custom bimini made the frame was slightly narrower than the beam of the boat so when you looked at the bimini from the front or back the frame would angle out at the lower attachment points. I mounted a second bimini to give the kids that extra shade for those really hot days in the summer and purchased it from Overtons. The frame is the same width as the beam of the boat and from a strictly cosmetic stand point I think it would look better if the frame legs angled out at the bottom like the custom bimini.

TMCNo1
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Shopping for a new bimini. Most websites list them with ranges of widths....for example, 73-78 inches wide. So, are they adjustable, or do they have to be cut to your specific width once you receive it? Thanks.

Most bimini manufacturers have instructions on their sites on how to measure a bimini to fit your particular boat and some even have a listing of boats/models that they can make one from.
As a example, www.johnsonbimini.com (http://www.johnsonbimini.com), click 'How to Choose a Bimini', then click 'Measuring'.

Jesus_Freak
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
My only general advice would be not to buy from coversearch.com. The materials and quality of construction are somewhat lacking.

mayo93prostar
02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
they are flexible so the one size noted will cover over a 2-3 inch range. I have bought two from Overton's with the sunbrella fabric and they have been very good. Keep in mind when measuring of where you will put the mount. the standard mount with a bimini is usually for a flat horizontal surface. many times you need to put the mount on a steep angle surface outside of the window. I did this on my 87 and 93 prostars. I recommend getting a stainless steel adjustable angle mount from a local cover shop. I picked mine up for approx $15 a pair and they work much better than the plastic ones you can buy at boating stores or on line. good luck.