PDA

View Full Version : Need some Garage height advice

msutoad
02-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Looking for advice on garage height challenges. My garage is not quite 84 inches like it is supposed to be, so my 08 X2 will not fit with town foled with the light bar and my tower speakers because the tower does not fold completely flat to the lockers. I have heard of people lowering the air pressure in the tires, and that sounds scary since I have to jack-knife the trailer into the garage spot. Anybody have some creative ideas for for me on how to get the town down farther? I need about 2 inches total of more clearance and could probably get away with 1 inch.

Jason

uawaterskier
02-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Is it not 84 inches at the door? I know when we put our "other" boat in the garage for the summer it wouldn't clear the door by about the same amount. We stood in the boat and pushed up on the door to get ours in. Also if your turning the trailer hard to get it in the garage then lowering the tire pressure is not a good idea at all. It would be likely to blow the bead off the rim. When you turn a trailer, it puts TONS of strain on the sidewall of the tires, unlike when you turn a car.

D3skier
02-24-2008, 03:35 AM
if your garage door doesn't clear the complete opening on the garage you can adjust the door by the pin on the guide and move it back about an inch to give you a bit more clearance. This will bring the door back more to the complete opening of the garage.

Farmer Ted
02-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Looking for advice on garage height challenges. My garage is not quite 84 inches like it is supposed to be, so my 08 X2 will not fit with town foled with the light bar and my tower speakers because the tower does not fold completely flat to the lockers. I have heard of people lowering the air pressure in the tires, and that sounds scary since I have to jack-knife the trailer into the garage spot. Anybody have some creative ideas for for me on how to get the town down farther? I need about 2 inches total of more clearance and could probably get away with 1 inch.

Jason

might be time for a boat port?

as mentioned, cranking a sharp turn and not being able to relieve the stress on the side walls will not do your tires any good

I think there was someone here on Team Talk who raised the header of their garage door and got a new door to get their boat to fit in the garage

good luck!

msutoad
02-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info so far. Let me clarify the problem a bit since I wasn't as clear about it. The problem is not the door part. It is the frame of the opening is not quite 84 intches. Even at 84 inches I do not think the boat would fit with the light bar because the tower does not fold down as far. I know if I take the lightbar off, it folds down plenty far and will fit into the garage.

Yeah I agree about the tire pressure 100%. I think it is a bad idea for many reasons, the biggest being the chance of the bear breaking.

Anybody have a measurement of the amount of clearance needed for an X-2 with the lightbar and the tower folded?

I have considered making some minor modifications to the garage framing. However I am not able to make too many mods other than to the trim boards because it would change the strength of the framing if I cut up too much.

Thanks for the input.

emnesto
02-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I had a similar problem with the boat before my Mastercraft. On the top of my garage opening there was a piece of trim (1x2) that was just deco. I removed it. The area that was the highest was near the back of the boat. Raising the height of the hitch lowered the back. You could try a receiver that is 1 inch higher, or how about air shocks or lifts that you can inflate with a button. One other idea my dealer offered up, you can change the adjustment on the trailer tortion bars (slightly) which will lower the boat height.
When I bought the X45, the height needed was a few more inches. I ended up replacing the 14 inch wooden header above the door with a 6 inch high steel I-beam. It was time for a new door anyway, so I replaced the 7 foot with an 8 footer. Hope this helps.

2RLAKE
02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
typically when you frame a garage opening, the header goes on top of the 2x studs and the actual trim/framing you mentioned is nailed into a horizontal 2x stud and not the header. You might want to cut into the drywall and look. A friend of mine had the exact same thing last year when he bought a X15 and he install a taller garage door. I keep my X14 at the lake house, but when I brought my X9 home to sell it did not fit ... my brilliant idea of having a slight brick arc over each door opening, while looking great, makes it a little difficult ... i just lowered the air pressure to get it through the opening, then pumped it right back ... good luck

JohnnyB
02-24-2008, 09:56 AM
IYou could try a receiver that is 1 inch higher, or how about air shocks or lifts that you can inflate with a button.

On the right track here. I'm not familiar with your boat or its tower's relationship with the axles when folded down. In measuring up my boat/tower before I started mounting it, I was within an inch of the frame of my garage door with a straight receiver hitch. using a 3" drop bought me almost two inches of clearance. They make hitches up to 6in drop or more....a dropped or raised hitch may buy you the inches you need. If your tower folds forward, i'd bet a 4 or 6in drop hitch would buy you the 2"

Let us know what your solution is.

JohnnyB
02-24-2008, 09:58 AM
On the right track here. I'm not familiar with your boat or its tower's relationship with the axles when folded down. In measuring up my boat/tower before I started mounting it, I was within an inch of the frame of my garage door with a straight receiver hitch. using a 3" drop bought me almost two inches of clearance. They make hitches up to 6in drop or more....a dropped or raised hitch may buy you the inches you need. If your tower folds forward, i'd bet a 4 or 6in drop hitch would buy you the 2"

Let us know what your solution is.

With my tower folded down, if I go slow with the straight receiver, I just brush the weather stripping. :eek:

T Scott
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I htink Johny B is right. Here is the hitch that I have. Might solve your problem.

http://www.hitchsolutions.com/rapidhitch.html

damaged442
02-24-2008, 11:07 AM
You could always jack up the house. ;)

Roonie's
02-24-2008, 11:15 AM
You could always jack up the house. ;)

I have done that on my old house as the garage was sinking as well as the house. I got better clearance for sure.

I would try the different hitch first then look into changing the header for 8' door. I have the X2 and luckily I have the 8' door so no problems as I have measured the folded tower and it is right at 7'. My main problem is the width clearance as I only have about an inch on both sides to clear the door with the trailer guides. To make it more difficult I am turning the boat on a sharp turn at the same time. There have been times where I have had to unbolt the trailer guides to get it back out. Good luck.

ShamrockIV
02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
The problem is not the door part. It is the frame of the opening is not quite 84 intches.

sounds like a major project!! u might have to move!!

Roonie's
02-24-2008, 12:25 PM
sounds like a major project!! u might have to move!!

It is not that big of a project by any means. I took out old door and reframed my garage opening higher in a morning and trimmed it out all before the garage door installer showed up with new door in the afternoon. Then one more day to paint the new trim.

msutoad
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice. To change the header would be a reasonably large job on my house. I have a room above the garage and the header is load bearing as in most homes. However, I have a 2 car garage and a 1 car garage. I would have to raise both garages ( big bucks). I think I will try the hitch first. I was using a 2in drop. If I got the adjustable hitch and went from a 2in drop in the driveway to no drop just before putting in the garage, I bet that would solve the problem for me. I will order the hitch and let everyone know how well it works.

Thanks for all the replys. Are any of you near NC and heading to the reunion @ Lake Wylie in May?

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice. To change the header would be a reasonably large job on my house. I have a room above the garage and the header is load bearing as in most homes. However, I have a 2 car garage and a 1 car garage. I would have to raise both garages ( big bucks). I think I will try the hitch first. I was using a 2in drop. If I got the adjustable hitch and went from a 2in drop in the driveway to no drop just before putting in the garage, I bet that would solve the problem for me. I will order the hitch and let everyone know how well it works.

Thanks for all the replys. Are any of you near NC and heading to the reunion @ Lake Wylie in May?

I'm thinking about going!:rolleyes: :D 8p

TheOneandOnly
02-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I tried to get ours to fit with every thing mentioned above, in the end we raised our garage door header to the 8' height. one thing to think about is the possibility of it scratching on the trim, I cant phantom purchasing a 65k boat and having to A.) lower the air in the tires all the time, or B.) have it scratch cause a rock was in the road, etc. When we tried to get it in (our 08x2) it was toooo tight by 2 inches. We paid 1400.00 total to raise it and got an upgraded insulated new garage door in the process... I was all done in one day on a saturday... Good luck

JohnnyB
02-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Since its in the driveway, you could go to a couple inch raise to gain a little more. The slick thing about the hitch Tom posted is that you might be able to use your tongue jack to adjust the hight of the hitch without completely disconnecting the coupler from the ball

TheOneandOnly
02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
One note not sure if anyone suggested but a tandem trailer, they sit 1-2"'s lower

msutoad
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I have a tadem trailer (you can see my rig in my gallery). I need every bit of 84 inches to get mine in the garage with the lightbar, and the tower folded.

T Scott
02-24-2008, 10:23 PM
The slick thing about the hitch Tom posted is that you might be able to use your tongue jack to adjust the hight of the hitch without completely disconnecting the coupler from the ball

Yes you can do that......

msutoad
02-24-2008, 10:25 PM
alright well that is the immediate plan right now. I have ordered the hitch and we shall see in a week or so when it arrives. Thanks for all the info again.

peels
02-24-2008, 11:53 PM
I have to tear tower completely apart to get mine in, but this summer there will be a larger door installed. It only takes about 10 min to pull apart the tower.

sand2snow22
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
alright well that is the immediate plan right now. I have ordered the hitch and we shall see in a week or so when it arrives. Thanks for all the info again.

Have you tried opening the rear hatches, then folding the tower? That should give you another inch or two. At least it did with the 05-06 towers. I know someone on here had to do that.

Peels, man that's heavy. I did that once by myself when we first got the boat and it wouldn't fit in the garage. I promised myself I would never do that again!

msutoad
02-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Interesting you should mention opening the rear hatches. I did try that, but the tower hits the engine cover and will not collapse properly. If I do not have the lightbar, what I used to have to do was turn all the speakers sideways so the tower would lay perfectly flat. Then I could get it in, or atleast I could get the 07 in. Now that I have the 08, on which I ordered the lightbar :), I have the issue. I have removed some of the unnecesary trim, and with the some wheel jack games, and the hitch I think I can solve this. I just wish I had an 8 foot door;).