PDA

View Full Version : A Few Loose Screws!

russlars
02-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Does anyone else have trouble with the screws coming loose in your MC? The ones I have problem with on my "99 205 are under the observers seat and the screws holding the trunk to it's hinges. Has anyone tried "lock tite" on these are have you found another solution?

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Unless you plan on removing the screws anytime in the near future, a very small drop of Gel Super Glue will work.

bigmac
02-24-2008, 08:21 AM
LocTite can have a nasty effect on some plastics. I'd use Super Glue like Harold suggested.

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Slight threadjack, but when I read the thread title, "A Few Loose Screws", some of the members on here, yours truely included, came to mind!:rolleyes: :uglyhamme
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbacktopic.gif

damaged442
02-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Almost all of mine are loose. Oh wait, you're talking about the boat. :uglyhamme

Yeah, I have a bunch behind my back seat in the storage compartments that are loose, and a few behind the observers seat. I just go through and retighten them in the spring when I reconnect the speedo lines, which I drain in the fall. I'll give the super glue a shot and see how that holds up. Thanks for the idea!

Monte
02-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Who me??????

88 PS190
02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I use a little dab of clear silicone sealant. You can still get the screws out, but they won't vibrate, and it forms a bit of a gasket to keep moisture out of there.

Another thing that works great is good thick wax, like carnuba, plug the hole, then drive your screw into it. The pressure will squeeze the wax back around, and it resists the backing out. Wax works great on those bolts that hold interior pannels in as well.

JohnnyB
02-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I use a little dab of clear silicone sealant. You can still get the screws out, but they won't vibrate, and it forms a bit of a gasket to keep moisture out of there.

Another thing that works great is good thick wax, like carnuba, plug the hole, then drive your screw into it. The pressure will squeeze the wax back around, and it resists the backing out. Wax works great on those bolts that hold interior pannels in as well.

Good idea...much less permanent solution than super glue

SunCoast 83
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Parents had a '99 Sammy Duvall with the same problem, just kept tightening.

JoshBuzz
02-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Slight threadjack, but when I read the thread title, "A Few Loose Screws", some of the members on here, yours truely included, came to mind!:rolleyes: :uglyhamme
http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbacktopic.gif

Harold, you came to mind first when I read the title, go figure!

:D

JBaker
02-25-2008, 03:56 AM
If you didn't want this to wander FAR off topic, I would have chose a different thread title. :D

flipper
02-25-2008, 01:36 PM

That's what I have done in the past also. Works good for me.