PDA

View Full Version : Canadian or Globally talented?

thijs
02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Canadian law states (I have heard) that Canadian radio needs to play a certain percentage of Canadian artists. I am curious if some of the following 'local talent' is known by people in the rest of the world. Are they really talented and famous??????

88 PS190
02-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Love Rush, of course I don't like seeing them... That dude is ugly.

Nickleback is mainly a leave it. The other ones... not so much.

TMCNo1
02-23-2008, 06:51 PM
I'll just stick with the Beach Boys!

ProTour X9
02-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I'll just stick with the Beach Boys!

I've only heard of Nickelback.:) And I like their songs, but....

ELVIS FOR ME!!:o :cool:

88 PS190
02-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I've only heard of Nickelback.:) And I like their songs, but....

ELVIS FOR ME!!:o :cool:

bet you know Rush and don't realize.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA

ShamrockIV
02-23-2008, 08:26 PM
nickelback are canadian???
dang and i like them, well i used to!!

BIGBADBLUE
02-23-2008, 08:44 PM
They are Alberta boys ...

The Canadian law is a bit strange, but so are the taxes they pay. Ouch!!! I thought it was 50% Cnadian content ... man that is a lot of Rush, Triumph, Nickleback and Shania Twain. Just watch Hockey and do not turn on the radio is the battle cry.

I love Canada ... great place just would not want to live there.

Jonathan94
02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
for anyone (appears to be many) not familiar with Corb Lund (another bunch of good ole' Alberta boys), check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

D3skier
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
now I see why I don't know Corb Lund.... I HATE Country music....

shepherd
02-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Back in the day, my buddy swore that Rush was better than Led Zeppelin. I never really liked Rush. :cool:

But as far as current bands go, Nickelback has got to be in my top five. They rock IMO.
What about the Guess Who? The were Canadian I think. So was Neil Young.

And then there is that great Canadian from the UP..... UMP

thijs
02-24-2008, 02:05 AM
I hate Rush and Nickleback becasue they are way over played. IMO they are not that special anyways.

Corb Lund was in a band called the Smalls before he was country. Excellent band, too bad there are no youtube vids of the Smalls.

Tragically Hip are awesome, but got a little weird.

I actually know and work alongside Paul Brandt's dad. Both are very nice people.

michael freeman
02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I didn't know Rush where Canadians, but I still like them anyway. :)

Thanks for the save on the second link. The Country music link could have scared me for life.

ProTour X9
02-24-2008, 09:23 AM
bet you know Rush and don't realize.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA

Still have no clue...:o 8p

damaged442
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Rush has so much good stuff out there. Too bad the radio dwells on playing three or four of their songs into the ground! It's the stuff you don't hear on the radio that I would recommend. They are ridiculously good musicians. Geddy Lee's voice is an acquired taste. You either like it you don't. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium. I am a bigger fan of their older stuff, up to about Signals/Power Windows era. Beyond that, I never really got into it. For drummers out there, Neil Peart is one of the best!

Tragically Hip also has some good stuff. I agree they got weird though. Day For Night is a pretty good album. I saw them live at "the joke called Woodstock 99" in NY. For a short set, they did a great job.

I have never been much of a fan of Nickelback. Too much of the same sound/same song overkill. Oh well. To each their own!

TX.X-30 fan
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
2nd that on Pert, I have a dvd that shows him and he is amazing. Good music to to wakeboard to.

Leroy
02-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Thijs; Definitely very complex and detailed rules. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm

Did you ever hear of the beaver hour?

thijs
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Thijs; Definitely very complex and detailed rules. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm

Did you ever hear of the beaver hour?

Beaver Hour??? Sounds gooooood to me ;)

If we are not careful we are going to get invaded and liberated from this communist government we have been residing under. (The conservative gov right now isn't too bad, and heh they lowered our Goods and Service's Tax from 7-5%. That has got to be votes next time around????)

Roonie's
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Some more Canadian artists........

Alanis Morisette and Anna Nalick.

Also some other bands........

Avril LAvigne, bare nacked ladies, Cowboy Junkies, Crash Test dummies, Neil Young, Nelly Furtado

88 PS190
02-24-2008, 12:48 PM
See here rush is not overplayed. I listen to them quite a bit.

Alanis Morisette is pretty good, as are the barenaked ladies.

Crash Test Dummies... well if you are in the mood for mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm. I suppose.

tommcat
02-24-2008, 02:16 PM
i have heard of nickelback and rush. i hate them but i've heard them

bucky
02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I can not believe that more people have heard of Nickelback than Rush!

Gerd
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
You can't forget about guy's like Neil Young, The Guess Who, and The Band. All great Canadian artists in there own right.

damaged442
02-24-2008, 11:23 PM

I'm with ya there! Is there no hope?

Blair
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
I hate Rush and Nickleback becasue they are way over played. IMO they are not that special anyways.

Corb Lund was in a band called the Smalls before he was country. Excellent band, too bad there are no youtube vids of the Smalls.

Tragically Hip are awesome, but got a little weird.

I actually know and work alongside Paul Brandt's dad. Both are very nice people.

haha pretty much the same way i feel about music... the hip's last good album was phantom power...

another good canadian band was the "headstones"

Hrkdrivr
02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I gotta pile onto this comment. Must be a pretty young crowd on this board!

I'm with ya there! Is there no hope?

thijs
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM
another good canadian band was the "headstones"

I have seen them twice. Small venues. Once at my college, in our tiny little bar. What a show!!!!

TRBenj
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Its sad, isnt it? Even if you dont care for their music, you have to appreciate their musical abilities. Im not a superfan, but Ive been told that all 3 of those guys have PhD's in music, and I dont doubt it. If you listen closely you can hear that their stuff is very complex (the few good cover bands Ive asked cant play it). Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, and you have to admit they have a huge sound for a trio.

Nickelback has a knack for writing catchy tunes, and they get a ton of airplay. Im almost ashamed to say that I actually like some of their songs.

Ive only heard of Tragically Hip because a friend of mine is from Buffalo. Ive never listened to their music.

Ive never heard of any of the other artists, but I dont listen to country.

Jorski
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Here is a fairly complete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_rock

atlfootr
02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Who's ask'n and y ...

Blair
02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I have seen them twice. Small venues. Once at my college, in our tiny little bar. What a show!!!!

yeah i saw the head stones live at "the nest" at NAIT... still to this day the best bar show i have ever seen... i also saw them at the shaw conference center... best concert i have ever seen... its too bad they are no longer together... they are my all time favorite Canadian band.

the second best bar show i ever saw was big sugar acoustic at the Nest again... just 2 of em up there with guitars... and we were sitting pretty close to the stage... killer show

thijs
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Nickelback has a knack for writing catchy tunes, and they get a ton of airplay. Im almost ashamed to say that I actually like some of their songs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they buy their songs. They are that talentless IMO. And the lead guy really needs a haircut.

Jorski
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
And the lead guy really needs a haircut.

I am gonna trade this life for fortune and fame
I'll even cut my hair and change my name

chudson
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
There's Shania Twain, she ain't rocky roll but geeeezz!!!! I would have to break my no toobin rule on the boat if she wanted to tube!!!

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Canadian music industry claims to love "free market," but sucks greedily at govt teat

The Canadian music industry's mouthpiece has a real hate-on for "alternative compensation schemes" -- systems that legalize filesharing through flat fees paid by Internet users. In fact, he implies that the proponents of these systems are Communists (amazing how Red-baiting is back in vogue these days, between Bill Gates and these guys), and wraps himself in the Free Market Flag, calling for music that's free from "government intervention." This week, Michael Geist picks up the story in his Toronto Star column, and neatly dissects the music industry's claims of hating government intervention and loving the free market.
Since a market-based approach to music would presumably lead to no government funding, the industry has unsurprisingly ignored its own advice and sought millions of dollars in taxpayer assistance. For example, at last November's music lobby day on Parliament Hill, the industry urged the government to expand its scope and funding of the Canada Music Fund, calling for at least $35 million in annual support.
Not only does the industry rely heavily on government financial support, it also looks to government to intervene in the marketplace by establishing new rules that provide protection against upstarts that threaten longstanding business models.

thijs
02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Canadian music industry claims to love "free market," but sucks greedily at govt teat

The Canadian music industry's mouthpiece has a real hate-on for "alternative compensation schemes" -- systems that legalize filesharing through flat fees paid by Internet users. In fact, he implies that the proponents of these systems are Communists (amazing how Red-baiting is back in vogue these days, between Bill Gates and these guys), and wraps himself in the Free Market Flag, calling for music that's free from "government intervention." This week, Michael Geist picks up the story in his Toronto Star column, and neatly dissects the music industry's claims of hating government intervention and loving the free market.
Since a market-based approach to music would presumably lead to no government funding, the industry has unsurprisingly ignored its own advice and sought millions of dollars in taxpayer assistance. For example, at last November's music lobby day on Parliament Hill, the industry urged the government to expand its scope and funding of the Canada Music Fund, calling for at least $35 million in annual support.
Not only does the industry rely heavily on government financial support, it also looks to government to intervene in the marketplace by establishing new rules that provide protection against upstarts that threaten longstanding business models.

Ummmm,.........yeah, what TX-X30 said.

jpattigr
02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Well a subject that I like!
Good Music from wherever is good music!

Some more Great Canadian bands,

Bryan Adams, Lots of great tunes
Great Big Sea, Fun Newfie music, expand what you listen too!
54-40, Ocean Pearl

And one that I am ashamed of:rolleyes:

Celine Dion!!

beef
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
What about (aboot) Kim Mitchell?

kingu
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I voted for The Tragically Hip cause I figured Rush was a given...go figure. The Hip's album "Up to Here" is one of my all time favorites...check it out.

thijs
02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Bryan Adams, Lots of great tunes
Great Big Sea, Fun Newfie music, expand what you listen too!
54-40, Ocean Pearl

And one that I am ashamed of

Celine Dion!!

What about (aboot) Kim Mitchell?

I guess we each have our own taste. Has anyone heard of The Smalls?.....

Farmer Ted
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Canadian law states (I have heard) that Canadian radio needs to play a certain percentage of Canadian artists. I am curious if some of the following 'local talent' is known by people in the rest of the world. Are they really talented and famous??????

don't forget Bryan Adams, Bare Naked Ladies, Richard Simmons ( I heard he's from Quebec)

André
02-28-2008, 06:42 AM
don't forget Richard Simmons ( I heard he's from Quebec)
:D :D :D ...

Jet
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Do like Tragically Hip a lot.

Rush, I used to like but don't hear it much anymore. As for Nickelback, it is good when you want to hear heavy rock from time to time.

Don't like the Canadian bashing I read on this thread though.

thijs
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't like the Canadian bashing I read on this thread though.

Not sure if I read any Canadian bashing. I think that I have said the most abrasive things and I am a Canadian.......