PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charging Question

1boarder
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a question on dual batteries. It is the standard MC setup and can I charge both by hooking up to one. Also, can I just cut off the battery selector instead of unhooking the batteries. I know this is a basic question, but didn't know how others do it.

1boarder
02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
no one??????

Sodar
02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
When charging batteries, it is always a good idea to unhook the battery leads and charge them individually. I am sure you could get away with using the selector switch, and not disconnecting them, but I would not want to take the risk of messing with the electrical system!

michael freeman
02-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Your alternator charges them both at the same time, not sure why that would hurt anything.

If you are concerned, the Battery selector switch could be used to segregate the batteries from the rest of the electrical system.

Cloaked
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a question on dual batteries. It is the standard MC setup and can I charge both by hooking up to one. Also, can I just cut off the battery selector instead of unhooking the batteries. I know this is a basic question, but didn't know how others do it.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-plus-12v-1_25a-battery-charger.html

Done deal.

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-plus-12v-1_25a-battery-charger.html

Done deal.

I've been using one of those since 2001 and does just as advertized. I leave it on the boat, the van and the lawnmower for 3 weeks each and keep rotating it during the off season.

CHaus21
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
TMC#1 - So do you just charge this thing up and then clip it to your batteries on the boat?

Does it need to be plugged in when hooked up to your boat? If not, this could be helpful - Since I don't have electricity at my storage lot..

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 10:10 PM
TMC#1 - So do you just charge this thing up and then clip it to your batteries on the boat?

Does it need to be plugged in when hooked up to your boat? If not, this could be helpful - Since I don't have electricity at my storage lot..

It's a trickle charger/maintainer and has to be plugged into 110V. Take the batteries out, bring them home, put in the house, basement, garage and charge them close to power. You put it on the battery and leave it on and it keeps the battery charged till you want to use it. I swear by mine. I have a '98 John Deere with the original 10 year old battery in it and I cranked the mower last week after the maintainer had been off of it for 6 weeks.

EricB
02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Boarder;
To answer your questions, yes they can be charged while hooked together. They are connected in parallel, which means that when charging the weakest battery will get the most. Once it is equal to the other then they will both charge at the same rate.
Michael is right, the alt. charges both at the same time and it will hurt nothing.
You can use you selector switch to isolate the batteries in the off season. A trickle charger is a great option, but I would charge for a day once a month vs. leaving on all the time.

Cloaked
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
I've been using one of those since 2001 and does just as advertized. I leave it on the boat, the van and the lawnmower for 3 weeks each and keep rotating it during the off season.
I have 7 of them in my garage for 8 batteries of various purposes.

I put the pigtails on the battery and plug it in. Best accessory investment in my garage.

Trickle charging is a common issue with the destruction of a battery. Get one of these gadgets and forget about it. The Battery Tender is not just for charging. It monitors your battery for peak maintenance and life.

1boarder
02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
thanks everyone for all the feedback.

rwoznock
02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
FYI I found these maintainer/chargers in Wal-mart for $19.00 each made by Shumacher. Bought 3 of them for the 2 boat batteries and the jet ski battery.

deminimis
01-19-2010, 03:13 AM
so to be clear, if using a Batt Tender, one could set the batt switch to "both" and use a single Batt Tender hooked up to only one batt and it will maintain both, correct? That's how ive been doing it, so I hope the answer is yes.