PDA

View Full Version : Help CMD4 install problem

teeter
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
My old stereo more or less crapped out and only worked on occasion so i bought a CMD4 on ebay because it was a good price and i went to install it today and immediately ran in to problems. I didn't do the proper research and the CMD4 does not fit where my old CD deck was. I attached a pic of shep's to describe the problem. The CMD4 is too wide to mount in the same spot and even more clearance is required to flip the stereo open to play CD's. Does anyone have any ideas on an alternate mounting location, and if so what would you do with the hole in the dash where the old stereo was.

JBaker
02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
That's a tough one. I don't think you are going to be able to alter that hole to fit a CMD4 or any watertight unit, although I don't see how it would be too wide...just too tall.

I'm not sure where you should move it to, but I would definitely move it. You can't fit a watertight unit or a splash guard where you have the head unit now, meaning it is entirely exposed to the elements (might have something to do with why it shot craps.)

Good luck.

teeter
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
yeah my bad, its too tall

rwoznock
02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmm.. Don't think there's much you can do with that. Will they take the stereo back or exchange it for something that'll fit in there?

teeter
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I went ahead and installed it below the bow, think ill replace one of the speedo's with the wired remote. Does anyone know if the speedometer and wired remote are the same size? and as for that hole where the old deck was i'll probably just get one of those black plastic empty boxes that you sometimes see in cars just to take up that space.

denverd1
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
you should be able to find a "pocket" that will fit perfectly where the old deck was. It would be good for keys, chapstick, a bottle opener or whatever you got laying around on the floor. It would be black plastic to match the dash and you'd never know the stereo was there.

check auto parts store