PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Questions: 01 Prostar 190 postive and negative lines

bridomine99
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I read that there is a feature on my 01 Prostar 190 that will shut the radio of when the battery voltage gets to a certain point to make sure you can start the engine if for instance you were floating with the radio going for too long. First, is this reliable and what are your experiences with this feature?

My thought is that if this is works well, when I wire the amp in it should not change anything because if the system shuts the radio down, the remote wire on the radio/amp should then shut the amp down and I would be able to start the engine and not worry about running the battery too low. Any reasons this would not be true?

Now on to amp wiring... I noticed there is a large diameter (4ga?) positive and negative line that runs up under the dash and then each have a distribution bar where lots of little items hook up to the positive and negative feeds. My thought was in an effort to not add additional lines to the actual battery, I would get 2 splitter blocks (like they use when running multiple amps) and take this single 4ga supply into the box and then split it 2 ways; one to the dash (4ga) and the other to the amp (8ga). Anything pop into mind why this would not be a good plan? Alternatively it would be a 3rd set of positive and negative wires to connect to the battery.

One last question... on my battery there are 2 positive lines; one fused (40a) and one that is not fused connected to the battery. What does what? I'm assuming one goes to the dash (discussed above) and the other goes to the starter solenoid. Is this correct?

Thanks

rspiecha
02-21-2008, 06:41 PM
On my 2005, the fused line on + post is for accessories, the other goes to the engine for starter.

Then I have added another + line that goes to the amps.

I also have a battery switch for two batteries. If the system you mention in your first question fails, I have another battery to start the boat. Great piece of mind.

Your second question, I would just run another line for your amps back to the battery. I don't like messing with stock wiring.

Rob

bridomine99
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Your second question, I would just run another line for your amps back to the battery. I don't like messing with stock wiring.

Rob

This is a good point, although it is not ideal to have so many lines running to the battery, it is probably better than digging into the stock electrical system