PDA

View Full Version : another swim platform bracket thread

cbryan70
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Well i just found out today that some brackets that i have for the platform will NOT work with my boat. I have a low budget and ALOT of free stainless steel that i have access to so i would like to make the brackets. I was wondering if anyone who is good with cad would beable to send me their bracket measurments from a 78 era

flipper
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
No clue....but I'll give you a bump.

76S&S
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I don't have a cad drawing but I built mine for the 76.

I used a straight edge down the side of the boat and an old angle finder (don't know what else to call it) to get the angle correct. Really wasn' t bad at all to do.

Measure twice, cut once.........

Mag_Red
02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Get a couple of Stainless L brackets and bolt her up!;)

76S&S
02-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Get a couple of Stainless L brackets and bolt her up!;)

That's what I thought at first too but it wouldn't work. The back of the 76 is convex and a standard L bracket points out to the sides instead of following the lines of the boat. If you taper the platform to follow the hull lines the brackets wind up sticking out the sides of the platform.

SkiDog
02-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry, I don't have a cad drawing but I built mine for the 76.

I used a straight edge down the side of the boat and an old angle finder (don't know what else to call it) to get the angle correct. Really wasn' t bad at all to do.

Measure twice, cut once.........

It's called a "Sliding T bevel"

SkiDog
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Does anybody know if you can get stainless brackets for an 08 X2. Just took my platform off to find all the paint is peeling of the brackets!

76S&S
02-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Or just a thingamajig, after a few beers:D

TMCNo1
02-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Also, Adjustable Triangle, with a built in degree scale.

cbryan70
02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
alright these measurments are off of a SS block that was on the other boat. The part screwed into the boat was 2 inches but lets say 5 inches. the hight ( coming off of the boat) One side was 1 inch the other was 5/8ths of an inch. what is that angle?

Covi
02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I spoke with the guys at Alloy the other day about getting a removable platform bracket for my 86'. They say that in order to use the drop down version your transom can not have a radius. it needs to be straight or very minimal radius. Harold is correct, when using the lift off version on older boats the platform may need to be notched in order to clear the rear lift eyes. Alloy is currently reconstructing their website to show more pics and give better info. They currently work of a "cheat sheet" to figure out what bracket works for each specific boat model. Very nice people to work with and the brackets are very affordable.

cbryan70
02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Also i will not want to use a block and a bracket i would like the bracket just cut with that angle in it if that makes ANY sense

h2oskifreak
02-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I think I gave you my 2 cents before on this. But here goes again. Stainless in the guage you need for strength will be very heavy when all said & done. Consider alum., I glassed in stainless bilts from the inside of the transom and attatch/detatch w/stainless double nuts. Just get it right the first time absolutely no room for error when drilling your boat. I went as far as taking my mock uo to the water for ht. purposes. Measure x 10 and sleep on it and measure again. The brackets can be made by a water jet and can be much prettier than just an L bracket as suggested earlier. P.M. me if you want photos of mine.

cbryan70
02-21-2008, 07:25 PM
ok if im not a moron i think i got it. one angle would be 90 one 63 and one 27... does this sound right?