PDA

View Full Version : LY6 in 197, how fast?

Benny Boy
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
If you put a bigger prop, has anyone tested how fast that rocket can go?

Andyg
02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I am on my second 197 with the LY6. My 2007 did about 45 mph with the stock OJ prop and was 47.8 per the GPS with the ACME 1281, 13.25X15 .090 cup.

My 2008 with the stock prop was also right around 45 mph. The ACME pushed it to about 47.5 mph.

I talked to Keith St Onge and he said his 197 with the LY6 and the OJ was doing about 50mph.

My local dealer did a lot of prop testing and settled on the ACME as the best all around prop for this setup. I talked with Bill Weeks at ACME and he also recommended the 1281 prop. You might be able to put a larger pitch prop on the boat, but you will be dropping the RPMs to a point where you might be lugging the engine. Also your hole shot will suffer with a larger pitched prop.

ncsone
02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Andyg - Do you have the Powerslot trans or just the 1:1?

Andyg
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Andyg - Do you have the Powerslot trans or just the 1:1?

The LY6 setup does not have a 1:1 option. It only comes with the powerslot, which I think is 1.22:1.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 01:24 PM
The stock propeller was 13.7 X 15 LC 4-blade. While the 4-blade is not faster than a 3-blade it did provide better RPM (lower) at skiing speeds allowing for a softer pull. We do have a 3-blade that is faster and much quciker then the stock 4-blade but raised the mid range RPM for a stiffer pull. We are currently testing some different 3-blades to optimize low end, mid range RPM and speed. The transmission is a 1.26:1.

Andyg
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
The stock propeller was 13.7 X 15 LC 4-blade. While the 4-blade is not faster than a 3-blade it did provide better RPM (lower) at skiing speeds allowing for a softer pull. We do have a 3-blade that is faster and much quciker then the stock 4-blade but raised the mid range RPM for a stiffer pull. We are currently testing some different 3-blades to optimize low end, mid range RPM and speed. The transmission is a 1.26:1.

Eric,
Are you sure about the prop size on the 197 with the LY6? I just went out and looked at both of my original OJ props that came on my 2007 and 2008 and they are both 3 blade 13X12 .65.

Andyg

Jim@BAWS
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
The one I drive gets it at over 45MPH.

Running the stock prop from OJ...works great

Jim@BAWS

Andyg
02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
The transmission is a 1.26:1.

Eric,
I always thought it was a 1.26:1 tranny also. When I changed my tranny fluid last year I saw a label on the tranny itself that states it is a 1.22:1, not that .04 is much of a difference. I would believe that label on the tranny over any marketing material that MC puts out in regards to specs. I have found so many errors in the owners manual around specs that I tend not to trust what it says.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Andyg; You are correct the 1.26:1 comes with the MCX motor. The 13 X 12 LC 3-blade does come on the boat. It seems the 13.7 X 15 is an option. Most of the TT boats will see the 13.7 X 15. By the way, great dog. I'm hoping to get my new yellow pup by the end of March.

erkoehler
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Eric,
I always thought it was a 1.26:1 tranny also. When I changed my tranny fluid last year I saw a label on the tranny itself that states it is a 1.22:1, not that .04 is much of a difference. I would believe that label on the tranny over any marketing material that MC puts out in regards to specs. I have found so many errors in the owners manual around specs that I tend not to trust what it says.

I'd agree with 1.22:1 on the tranny.

No Skeez
02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
To clarify - the LY6 has it's own unique transmission, which is in fact a 1.22 : 1. The "Power Slot" is no longer, as it was replaced with a "Soft Slot" a few years back. The soft slot is the 1.26 : 1 ratio that you see in the MC marketing materials. The original "Power Slot" was a 1.5 : 1, and although this is no longer, MC still refers to the "Soft Slot" (1.26 : 1) as the power slot.

Benny Boy
02-21-2008, 02:16 PM
You guys are better than a library when it comes to that teck stuff. Actually, I should give you more details:
The guy asking me this info is a decent slalom skier, decent barefooter who weighs 200lbs,and wants to have the fastest ski boat on the lake.

What's the best set up for speed without loosing too much torque (he admits to be willing to sacrifice a bit of torque in order to beat all his friends in a race:D )

Andyg
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
By the way, great dog. I'm hoping to get my new yellow pup by the end of March.

She just turned 5 last month and is still has as much puppy in here as when I took that picture. That is despite just being diagnosed with severe Hip Displaysia. Now that I know what I am looking for I can see how it effects her. It doesn't seem to slow her down except on rare occasions when she yelps due to the pain. I guess I could always shell out the $5000 for a hip replacement, but man that is a lot of money to pay for fixing one of her two bad joints. I say that while I am sitting here talking about a $4000 engine option that I got on my boat.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Like I said, we are currently testing some new propellers for this specific application. The goal being to keep the very strong low end that the 13 x 12 has now and improve the max speed as well as lowering the mid range RPM. It will be a few weeks before we have all the props cut and tested. I would say by the end of March we will have a prop in production. Currently we offer the 13 X 12 and a 13 X 12.5 3-blade that work well.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear about her hips. Thats a tough one. She is a beauty.

Benny Boy
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Like I said, we are currently testing some new propellers for this specific application. The goal being to keep the very strong low end that the 13 x 12 has now and improve the max speed as well as lowering the mid range RPM. It will be a few weeks before we have all the props cut and tested. I would say by the end of March we will have a prop in production. Currently we offer the 13 X 12 and a 13 X 12.5 3-blade that work well.

What are your expectations for top speed with the LY6? Are you guys there?

Thanks for the info

Andyg
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
You guys are better than a library when it comes to that teck stuff. Actually, I should give you more details:
The guy asking me this info is a decent slalom skier, decent barefooter who weighs 200lbs,and wants to have the fastest ski boat on the lake.

What's the best set up for speed without loosing too much torque (he admits to be willing to sacrifice a bit of torque in order to beat all his friends in a race:D )

I hate to say it but it won't happen. Even if he props up to the point where he can get into the 50+ range the other guys will kill him in hole shot to the point where he won't have enough top end to compensate.

My buddy has an 05 BU that runs 47-48 mph with the 340 HP monsoon. The Kwahamots ski club had a BU with the 383 Hammerhead and that thing did 50 plus mph.

The thing about the LY6 is that it holds speed better than my MCX did. When I was barefooting by myself behind my MCX I was at about 39-40 mph. I tip the scale at 210 so I went looking for more speed to help my poor size 10 1/2 feet. The LY6 with the ACME prop holds me at 45 mph when I am footing. I like that much better.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
At the factory, this week, we saw 48 + MPH, even with the current 13 X 12. It's never easy to guesstimate (new word ) how much speed you expect to increase. As Andy pointed out, if the increase in speed comes with a reduction in low end you really don't gain much. We will build a propeller that works well in all areas, the best we can. The LY6 with the current 13 X 12 is very strong throught the RPM range, very responsive all the way through, hoping to improve it a bit.

Jim@BAWS
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
What are your expectations for top speed with the LY6? Are you guys there?

Thanks for the info

What??? Go back and read the posts that where entered...Your answers are right there

Jim@BAWS:)

Jim@BAWS
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM

I am sorry...MasterCraft builds GREAT/AWESOME/THE BEST boats in the industry. They do not build SPEED BOATS. They build ski and Wakeboard boats

Jim@BAWS

3event
02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
DITTO on what Jim said.

Nevertheless, maybe your bud needs to grab a 2002 197, the hull without the hook. Less wet at speed. See if you can find one with LQ9 powerplant. I seem to recall guys claiming 50+ out of that setup. Won't be as tight of a slalom machine, and IIRC must run premium gas.

TRBenj
02-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I hate to say it but it won't happen. Even if he props up to the point where he can get into the 50+ range the other guys will kill him in hole shot to the point where he won't have enough top end to compensate.
I havent found the phenomenon of "propping up" to work for ski boats. Sometimes less pitch (which gives you more RPM) will give you more holeshot AND more top end. Sometimes you need a slightly steeper prop to dial back the RPM's into the engine's powerband. As Eric alluded to, sometimes you cant predict how a different prop will behave. Its all about finding the right combination of engine, hull and prop.

I doubt you could get the current 197 hull over 50 with the LY6 no matter what prop you put on it. Going from 45 to 48mph with a prop change is essentially a miracle already!

You may not ever make a ski boat fast, but theres no harm in making one faster. For many of us, it allows us to make better use of our boats. If my boat only pulled a footer at 39-40, half the guys I ski with couldnt foot behind it. At my 190 lbs it would be barely adequate, and one-foots wouldnt be an option. Instead, it'll hold a strong 45 with 2 big footers in tow- now thats a ski boat.

Eric, I owe you a phone call. I still have the 498 out on loan since I didnt get a chance to ski with it last fall. Id like to try a 428.

#47of100TeamMC
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
DITTO on what Jim said.

Nevertheless, maybe your bud needs to grab a 2002 197, the hull without the hook. Less wet at speed. See if you can find one with LQ9 powerplant. I seem to recall guys claiming 50+ out of that setup. Won't be as tight of a slalom machine, and IIRC must run premium gas.

I've got the 2002 TT197 with the hooked hull and the LQ9. I've seen 53.2MPH on the handheld GPS. Load it up with people and ski's, we still see mid 52's.

EJ OJPROP
02-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm here. Give me a call to exchange.

3event
02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I've got the 2002 TT197 with the hooked hull and the LQ9. I've seen 53.2MPH on the handheld GPS. Load it up with people and ski's, we still see mid 52's.

Nice... What prop ya running? That's my kind of setup.

#47of100TeamMC
02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice... What prop ya running? That's my kind of setup.

Whatever came on the boat, 4 Blade stainless OJ of some sort. Never touched it just run it cuz I like!

03 35th Anniversary
02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm here. Give me a call to exchange.

Can you recomend a prop for me????

I have an 03 197 LQ9 that is SuperCharged (525hp) with the Powerslot.

I get about 55mhp or a little better on a good day and a empty boat. But outta the hole it seems its not pulling as hard as it could. It does have alot of top end throttle.

east tx skier
02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Have you considered putting some rocket engines on the back of it? 8p

525 hp and it's not pulling strong out of the whole even with the slot? Exactly how big is this landmass you're trying to pull???

03 35th Anniversary
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Have you considered putting some rocket engines on the back of it? 8p

525 hp and it's not pulling strong out of the whole even with the slot? Exactly how big is this landmass you're trying to pull???It pulls good but it has alot of wasted power on the top end, I want to move some of it to the hole shot.

I can't complain it will run 53mhp all day with 8 people in the boat. But I'd rather have the performance in the hole and good holding power in the 30-40mhp range.

Also I gotta alotta fat friends...... 8p

J/K

Benny Boy
02-22-2008, 01:59 PM
What??? Go back and read the posts that where entered...Your answers are right there

Jim@BAWS:)

I meant with the new props they will be testing!

EJ OJPROP understood what I meant with his new ''guesstimation'' 8p

Benny Boy
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I am sorry...MasterCraft builds GREAT/AWESOME/THE BEST boats in the industry. They do not build SPEED BOATS. They build ski and Wakeboard boats

Jim@BAWS

Jim, you don't have to tell me this and don't have to be an *** about it in the process. I was just trying to get more info about the whole thing to see the possibilities, see what the best combination can be to make a MC fanatic even happier about his new boat.

I pretty much got all the answers I needed. Thanks guys. I wanted to ask this forum because I know there's a whole bunch of you guys who love to test these things out. Me, I'm very happy with my MCX, so I figured there must be a barefooter or a tech fanatic out there who can answer me on these things. You did.