PDA

View Full Version : Panama City Vacation (What to do?)

VOLFAN
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
I am going to Panama City in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions on things to do while I am down there. I usually play a couple rounds of golf, go to the dog races, and lounge around the beach or pool. Other than that, shopping and going out to eat I was just wondering if there is something fun I am missing in that area. I would like to go deep sea fishing, but we are going to have our 16 mos. old boy with us and I do not think that will be an option.

shepherd
02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Go to St. Andrew's Park. Very nice wide beach, they have a little "kiddie lagoon" behind the jetty. And if you like fishing, the fishing is pretty good from jetty there. Rent a pontoon boat and go to Shell Island. Very pristine, uninhabited island with a great beach. Best place to eat that's on the beach is Schooners - get the grouper sandwich. They have a sunset countdown and shoot off the cannon every night. Probably our favorite restaurant is Boatyard.

Go for a bike ride down 30A through Rosemary Beach, Seaside, Grayton Beach. There are plenty of bike rental places or better yet bring your own. Visit the Red Bar in Grayton Beach.

Where are you staying?

Do you ski? I may be able to give you a few pulls depending on when you're here. Let me know.

wakolman
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I am going to Panama City in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions on things to do while I am down there. I usually play a couple rounds of golf, go to the dog races, and lounge around the beach or pool. Other than that, shopping and going out to eat I was just wondering if there is something fun I am missing in that area. I would like to go deep sea fishing, but we are going to have our 16 mos. old boy with us and I do not think that will be an option.

Until I saw your last sentence, I thought it was a typical "spring break" trip. It will be a good time just to be in some warm weather.

Last time I was in PCB was in 96. It was for spring break and I ended up on MTV. Oh, the memories...lol. I probably have pics somewhere...

VOLFAN
02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
It is going to be a family vacation (my wife and I, our son, a cousin, my sister, my mother and her boyfriend).Taking the grandmother along so so maybe we can sneak out for a night on the town while she babysits :)! She says that is why we ask her to go anyway. We are going to be down there from the 8th through 15th of March. A friend owns a condo at Emerald Beach and we are staying there.

I don't ski or I would take you up on the offer Shep! I will take your other advice though.

shepherd
02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Definitely, pack a picnic, load the cooler, rent one of those pontoon boats and take the whole family over to Shell Island. You won't be disappointed.

sand2snow22
02-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Shepherd,

Have you been to Bocas? The boat ride from mainland Panama to Bocas is spectacular!

shepherd
02-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Shepherd,

Have you been to Bocas? The boat ride from mainland Panama to Bocas is spectacular!

Nope, never been to Panama City, Panama. Only Panama City, Florida!

Here's a pic of Shell Island, showing you where to go (red circles). Park on the Bay side and walk a couple hundred yards across the sand to the Gulf. Have fun!

uawaterskier
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
try not to get kicked out of your hotel and have to run from the cops...thats my only advice.

VOLFAN
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
try not to get kicked out of your hotel and have to run from the cops...thats my only advice.

No worries in that.

uawaterskier
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
No worries in that.
i didn't really figure there would be. I'm not saying me and buddies are irresponsible, just young and stupid sometimes.:D

VOLFAN
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
i didn't really figure there would be. I'm not saying me and buddies are irresponsible, just young and stupid sometimes.:D

I was once there(young and stupid) Had more fun then too.

Bruce
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
I was once there(young and stupid) Had more fun then too.

AMEN! (At least the parts I could remember the next day!)
As you know there are a lot of great golf courses over there. If you have never played Kelly Plantation in Destin it is worth the short ride over. We go to Dune Allen beach near there every year and have for 38 years. Going again end of May.
Have a great time with your family. It makes for some special memories.

weskix4
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
It's been about 10 yrs since I was there on business. As I recall I stayed at the Marriott. They had a golf course that I believe is/was rated as one of the most difficult in the US. I think the slope rating was something stupid like 161. I started out well then it kicked my butt. It is the same course that Hubert Green's ex lives on in there old house. I remember seeing a S.E.A.L. musium sign but did not get a chance to check that out...that may be fun. Shep may be able to shed more light on how often the Navy is out training, but when I was out on one of the islands I was able to watch one of those huge hover crafts go blasting by...it was sweet.

shepherd
02-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Our base serves as the design/engineering agent for the Navy's hovercrafts (LCACs). We also have a cool twin-hulled ship called the Seafighter that is used for research missions on the Gulf. I'ts pretty evil looking, and fast. The best place to see them is from the jetties at the state park. Unfortunately, they don't follow a set schedule and don't go out every day so you never know if and when you'll see them.

I don't know of a SEAL museum, but there is a "Museum of Man in the Sea" (or something like that) out on Hwy 98. I've never been though. They have a bunch of deep dive submersibles outside the building.

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 08:33 AM
destin is better for family!! can i go with u volfan????

VOLFAN
02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Sure Shamrock come on.
My wife and I got married in Destin, and like that area.

We got a friend with a condo in PCB that is why we are staying there plus seems there is a little more to go and going on in PCB.

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
sweet bro!!! we got a friend that has kicka$$ condo in destin!!!! we hope to go back this year!!!

bro i am afraid if me and u went we might be divorced when we return!!! especially spring break timeframe!! lol

plus i really hate the ocean!! would rather be on center hill anyday!!
but the scenery on the beach sure is nice!!

mbeach
02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
do not know if it is still there, but there used to be a country and western honky tonk named the golden nugget. was a great place for good live music and during the off season anyone can and may show up. was in there one night and hank jr. came in and sat in a set. alabama band also used to drop in. probably a high rise now since my last visit was in the early 80's.

andrewtimko
02-25-2008, 04:05 PM
do not know if it is still there, but there used to be a country and western honky tonk named the golden nugget. was a great place for good live music and during the off season anyone can and may show up. was in there one night and hank jr. came in and sat in a set. alabama band also used to drop in. probably a high rise now since my last visit was in the early 80's.

Definately check out the nugget. There may be a few ladies dancing there too...!

bxroads
02-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Go to St. Andrew's Park. Very nice wide beach, they have a little "kiddie lagoon" behind the jetty. And if you like fishing, the fishing is pretty good from jetty there. Rent a pontoon boat and go to Shell Island. Very pristine, uninhabited island with a great beach. Best place to eat that's on the beach is Schooners - get the grouper sandwich. They have a sunset countdown and shoot off the cannon every night. Probably our favorite restaurant is Boatyard.

Go for a bike ride down 30A through Rosemary Beach, Seaside, Grayton Beach. There are plenty of bike rental places or better yet bring your own. Visit the Red Bar in Grayton Beach.

Where are you staying?

Do you ski? I may be able to give you a few pulls depending on when you're here. Let me know.

Shepard nailed it. Make sure you check out 30A, Seaside, etc. You'd not regret renting the pontoon boat and checking out shell island. If you're into eating let me know and I'll give you the name of some mighty fine joints. Around Panama City, make sure you eat at Captain Anderson's. Angelos has some fine steaks if you need a break from seafood. These two are large restaurants with lots of tourist. There's more quaint establishments along 30A.

EDS
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Come on down... Spring break starts when you get here. Seriously everyone has given some very fine recommendations. I have lived in Panama City for over ten years and frankly there has been an unbelievable change in the visitor spots and also the amenities. I live on the "town" of the Hathaway bridge and only go over when the beach belongs to us locals. Certainly eat at Capt Andersons resturant but the lines will be loooong. The secret is to walk into the resturant and walk all the way to the waitress station. If you stop at the front desk as you walk in you could be waiting up to an hour. My family and I go to "Mexico Beach" (about 20 miles southeast of Panama City). No crowds, plenty of white beach but the night life lacks fire. If anyone is looking for a pull... the water temp is getting fine. We live on Deerpoint Lake about 20 miles from the beaches. Ya'll come ya hear.

EDS
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Shepard, it sounds like you live in the Panama City area... Where do you ski? That is one awesome ride you got. I'm picking up an x-7 this weekend.

shepherd
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Shepard, it sounds like you live in the Panama City area... Where do you ski? That is one awesome ride you got. I'm picking up an x-7 this weekend.

EDS, I ski on Deerpoint. If you see my boat or a faded blue/aqua Prostar 205 (my buddy's boat) skiing the course, stop by and say hi. I usually only take my boat out on weekends and use my buddy's boat on weekdays - he lives on the lake overlooking the slalom course.

Congrats on the new boat. Who are you buying it from?

shepherd
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
BTW, Captain Anderson's is one of the most overrated, expensive, tourist traps at the Beach :twocents: Go to The Boatyard next door. You probably won't have to wait for a table and they usually have live entertainment.

mbeach
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
agree with bxroads in that capt. andersons is a must for good seafood. think it is owned by the petronis brothers who own some good dining spots in tallahassee.

VOLFAN
02-26-2008, 06:28 AM
I will be sure to use all the advice I have gotten here. I have never ate at Capt. Andersons. I have ate most everywhere else.

shepherd
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Go to Capt. Anderson's - everybody else does. But during the hour or two you're waiting for a table, look at the menu, look at the noisy overcrowded dining room, then pop next door to look in on the Boatyard.

EDS
02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Shepard, I know I've seen your boat out on Deerpoint. I also met (I think his name is Jeff) that lives over looking the course. I have a Green Maristar and have been on the lake for 8 years. Last year we moved to the lake off Greenleaf Cir (three doors down from Ross Levene if you know him). I have from time to time skiied with Ross Levene and Jody Seal when I'm invited. Slalom behind a Maristar is painful. This weekend I'm trading for a yellow X-7 and will be out and about. Look forward to meeting you. If you're ever looking for a driver call me. 850-819-3165

EDS
02-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Act like a local and bypass the waitress. I've never waited more that two minutes. Expensive yes, tourist trap yes, good seafood yes. If you're looking for cheap but good seafood cross the bridge and go to Cato's on hwy 231.

VOLFAN
02-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I am looking forward to getting down there to some warmer weather. Is there a Mastercraft dealer around there close by? Maybe one with some MasterCraft merch. and any good stores that sell wakeboard acc.?

shepherd
02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Shepard, I know I've seen your boat out on Deerpoint. I also met (I think his name is Jeff) that lives over looking the course. I have a Green Maristar and have been on the lake for 8 years. Last year we moved to the lake off Greenleaf Cir (three doors down from Ross Levene if you know him). I have from time to time skiied with Ross Levene and Jody Seal when I'm invited. Slalom behind a Maristar is painful. This weekend I'm trading for a yellow X-7 and will be out and about. Look forward to meeting you. If you're ever looking for a driver call me. 850-819-3165

Yeah, I ski with Jeff all the time. I know Ross and Jody. I'll see you out there some time, looking forward to seeing your new boat. I'm hoping to get out this weekend after it warms back up (and this freakin' wind dies down!).

shepherd
02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
I am looking forward to getting down there to some warmer weather. Is there a Mastercraft dealer around there close by? Maybe one with some MasterCraft merch. and any good stores that sell wakeboard acc.?

There is not a Mastercraft dealer within a thousand miles of this place. :( (ok, I exaggerate... a little)

VOLFAN
03-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I have played Emerald Bay, Ft. Walton Beach, Marriott course in PCB, and another small course north of PCB. I would like to play a nice course and was wondering if any of you locals know either a way to get on to a nice course like Kelly Plantation earlier in the day without paying the larger rates. I do not mind to pay them, but a couple of the people playing with me do not want to pay that much to play golf. Also are there any courses that are nice that are not as advertised as some of these course like Kelly Plantation? What courses do you guys recommend for say 50.00 and under? Maybe there is a hidden jewel I am unaware of.

Also thanks for all the other information. I am going to use it for sure. I only wish it was going to be a little warmer while I am there.

Bruce
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
That price range is going to be tough. They get a premium in that part of the world. Also, you best rate usually comes in the aft. rather than early. There is a nice little course on Dune Allen Beach. I believe it is called Santa Rosa Golf Club. Not an easy course but well maintained. I would google and you can find all the courses and prices in that area.
Good luck!
P.S. speaking of Santa Rosa a good friend of mine owns a Restaurant there i.e. Goat Feathers is the name . Good family spot. Good food.

SDAhockey21
03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh but Shep..... You forgot ___________!! ekkk

"Oh you want to look at a rock star boat" What??? The Master things something craft Oh..... I (sigh)

OR this should give you an idea too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGdRjurKiQI

Speechless.....?

Anyways.........

Shep whatever you do just don't tell them about the Ditch... Its all MINE! But, I guess I am willing to share... a little.

It is the most amazing place I have ever riden.... PM me for details its that good!