PDA

View Full Version : how much ballast is too much ballast?

Aric'sX15
02-20-2008, 09:14 PM
trying to dial in the 205V, and im trying to find out how much to weight it down. for starters i have two 400's in the locker and thats it. sometimes i put 120ish in the bow of dumbells.
Any help appreciated,
Aric

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
100 more pounds and a tower and he'll have it just right,

Aric'sX15
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
holy crap! ha. that looks like something my idiot neighbors would do to their mb.

JoshBuzz
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
that's cause they have an MB...

:D

never to much ballast!! Remember water is buoyant in water so if you start to go down it won't make you sink, lead and weights aren't, they;ll take you straight to the bottom!!

duckguy
02-20-2008, 09:58 PM
TMC-that monkey thing creeps me out.

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
TMC-that monkey thing creeps me out.

Tarzan just left the treehouse and he just saw Jane naked!:rolleyes: :D :uglyhammeWo Wo Wo Wo!

88 PS190
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
You can overdo ballast in ways, location and balance are far more important than sheer pounds.

Its easy to find people with alot of weight in the wrong place and therefore with a washy cruddy wake.

Best to experiment with the least ballast that gets the results you want, so you don't throw away your boats good qualities.

Harvey
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
With a 205V I would suggest 400-500 in each rear locker. I would put close to the same amount up front. I would look to put a 400-500 lb fat sac in the walkway of the bow and then 300-400 of equipment/lead/ballast bags/etc under the front seats or in locker under the walkway. That should give you a nice wake. A little rule of thumb with that boat is start with a 50/50 ratio (the motor weight will throw of the balance) and if you want a steeper wake add more to the rear or take away from the front. If you want a mellower wake then add more to the front or take away from the rear.

Aric'sX15
02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
i have two v-drive sacs(400 each) and i want to be able to have a rampy wake. and also would 750 in the front and 800 in the back? sound okay?

uawaterskier
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM

:( :( :( ......

Rich_G
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Aric, your first question asks "how much is too much?" There are lots of guys running 750's on each side of the engine and then about that same amount up front (floor locker and in the bow), so you are not close to "too much".

Personally, I don't want to run that much in mine. I have the Pro-X v-drive sacs (which are really closer to 450 each when filled out), a full floor locker (400), and then lead weights under the bow seats (200). I may add another sac in the bow walkway. I think this hull puts out an amazing wake with the 1500 to 1800 lb ballast setup.

STLer645
02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
To follow up on the feedback you got on WW, I'd swap out that factory prop if you are loading it up like that.

swatguy
02-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Aric, your first question asks "how much is too much?" There are lots of guys running 750's on each side of the engine and then about that same amount up front (floor locker and in the bow), so you are not close to "too much".

Personally, I don't want to run that much in mine. I have the Pro-X v-drive sacs (which are really closer to 450 each when filled out), a full floor locker (400), and then lead weights under the bow seats (200). I may add another sac in the bow walkway. I think this hull puts out an amazing wake with the 1500 to 1800 lb ballast setup.

I am with Rich

I run the same exact setup as he does except with closer to 350-400 in the nose. Nice and firm and consistant at 23mph all the way back to 85ft. I have a buddy who runs the 750's back there the factory belly and just adds more to the nose like around 600 and that thing is massive. This boat will take all the weight you can throw at it as long as you disperse it right. If I Recall the used to weight the Pro Tour boat close to my buddies setup.

Like it has been said if you like a steeper wake put a little more in the rear. If you like it ramped a bit put more in teh front. That is another great thing about this hull. You can tweak it to your liking.

JoshBuzz
02-22-2008, 05:37 AM
:( :( ......

Sorry, sorry, just poking fun!!

Rich, that's not all the weight Davis puts in the boat if I remember right!! Chris keeps telling me about these gas can's filled with lead!!

Aric, 60/40 is the best ratio you can get, some people may disagree, that's fine, this is our tried and true method, and the best wake's I have been on have had the same ratio be it a MC, Nauti, or Bu!!

refer here!!

http://wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip029.asp

Rich_G
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Josh, you are right, when the guys go out they slam it with sacks all over the floor and weights under the seats. But they are hardcore.

You will have to make a trip down here this spring!

ShamrockIV
02-22-2008, 10:18 AM

never to much ballast!! Remember water is buoyant in water so if you start to go down it won't make you sink, lead and weights aren't, they;ll take you straight to the bottom!!

water is bouyant????????????????????????????????

so if u fill a submarine up with water it will float???
the titanic filld with bouyant water and it did not float too well!!

am i off here??:confused:

sizzler
02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
i may be wrong......but they are designed to float up to the gunwhales,,,,,,so any (ballast) water below those lines will be neutral.....the titanic was not designed to float with a belly full of water...if ,on the other hand you are using lead,metal.etc as ballast ,then it will negate the bouyancy built into the hull......and subsequently sink......

6ballsisall
02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
i may be wrong......but they are designed to float up to the gunwhales,,,,,,so any (ballast) water below those lines will be neutral.....the titanic was not designed to float with a belly full of water...if ,on the other hand you are using lead,metal.etc as ballast ,then it will negate the bouyancy built into the hull......and subsequently sink......

Dead on the money my british brutha!

ShamrockIV
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
should u still not put more in than the hull is rated for?? sorry i am new to the put water in my boat game. lol

88 PS190
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
should u still not put more in than the hull is rated for?? sorry i am new to the put water in my boat game. lol

The ratings have nothing to do at all with the amount of weight a boat can hold.

They are simply a way to define how much gear the boat can float when completley swamped, or rather, the floatation in the hull is rated to float the boat, the engine + whatever poundage listed of gear and persons when it is full of water.

Water in water is neutral

Foam in water is bouyant.

So its a balancing issue, you can add water ballast in bags in excess of the rating, because if you take a bow wave you will still have bouyancy.

Now if you load the boat with that equivalent in lead or sand and you swamp the lead or sand will still have weight in relation to the water, and will bring the hull to the bottom.

Now that doesn't mean it is safe to have a ton of ballast particularly in a small boat. Something like an X-Star has very tall sides and when on plane has no chance of taking a bow wave and swamping.
In a smaller boat like an X7 or Prostar 190 it is going to be much easier to risk the taking of a bowwave when you are heavily ballasted. In which case you will have a swimming pool surrounded by a lake.

Harvey
02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
i have two v-drive sacs(400 each) and i want to be able to have a rampy wake. and also would 750 in the front and 800 in the back? sound okay?

If you have the two Vdrive sacs (800 lbs total) in the rear and you want a rampy wake you will need to add more than 800 lbs to the front to get what you want.

JoshBuzz
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Josh, you are right, when the guys go out they slam it with sacks all over the floor and weights under the seats. But they are hardcore.

You will have to make a trip down here this spring!

I think I'll be in Quitman over spring break, and I'll probably stop by!! The boys told me about the lessons they're taking, should help a ton!!

The titanic was also filed with tons of equipment, bed frames, furniture, and many other items that are not neutral in the water. much different than a wake boat especially seeing as if your quick you can chunk all the lead etc. out while going under.

In aric's boat I would slam the back with the 800 in water, 260 in lead, and put 640 in the front. That completes the 60/40 ratio, and will leave you with an outstanding wake. if you go 50/50 the rear hull doesn't sink as much washing out the sides of the wake at times, and also increasing your probability of swamping your boat!!

Aric'sX15
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the input.
i will be getting some new sacks soon, so what should i get for the front? the 750? and i am gonna put lead in the back. i would like to plumb it too, so i will also be looking into that.

JoshBuzz
02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd go integrated bow sac in the front, and just don't fill it up all the way. the IBS is usually a 750!

Aric'sX15
02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
thats what i am lookin at now. and mybe 200 pounds of lead to make in 1750?