PDA

View Full Version : 83 stars and stripes

fox-rod
02-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Hello,
i was wondering if you guys could take a look at this boat for me and let me know how i can find out if its the full fiberglass stringer model? also maybe what to look out for?
thanks,
Troy
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/574809795.html

its very low hours looks like a nice boat.

east tx skier
02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome. I'd contact the seller and get the Hull ID number. Then call MC and ask them (unless the seller volunteers it and you trust him). They went to composite stringers mid 83.

Covi
02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Here is a good history chart on MC. They say 1983 was the year of fiberglass.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Boat-Innovations-s/118.htm

liledgy
02-20-2008, 06:19 PM
fox I have a 83 and my good friend also has an 83. Before this web site was around (12-15 years ago) we used to kid around that he had a 83 1/2. It was slightly different in that it had an access hole in front of pylon for bilge, its water seperator was under the engine cover ( mine was back by the tank) and I believe his engine mounts may have been slightly different. Both are floors were wood but his piece in the middle behind engine cover over the shaft was kinda spongee. when we lifted it up and turned it over it was like a piece of fiber or plastic ina accordian or fluted style, the rest of the floor was wood. Their is probably other subtle differences as well. looking back he probably has fiber stringers. If this boat your looking at has some of these features it also may have them. My boat has1200 showing on hour meter, It was a tournament boat its first year with hour meter unplugged from what previous owner told me. I have had zero engine, trans, drive shaft problems or stringer floor or structural problems. 12 years ago I changed the belts. My friend pulled me throught the course a couple of times and the suddenly dropped me in the middle and lifted engine cover. I swam to the boat and we saw that the belt had jumped off the impeller pully, the water was so hot that it melted holesin the 3" exhaust hoses. We quickly put belt back on and started boat back up to cool the block not knowing if itwould prevent more damage or crack the block. I've said every year that " this will be the year that it locks up or start hearing the bearings". So far it still runs great. The most expensive thing I've changed and it was in "07" was the impellarhousing , the bearing was starting to lockup. One of these days I'll get to posting some pictures, I put an interier in it in "04" and I had the person remake my back seat like a 1988 American skier Advance I had. The rear seat comes in three individual seats, now I can take out the middle (for the skier stepping back in boat) and still have to seats on the side for passengers when just cruising. Its a pain taking the back seat in and out. One more thing, when I traded my 1982 slot in on a 1987 prostar the dealer said " you must of gotter hot once" I only had that boat 2 years and didn't know at the time what he was talking about, he could tell just by looking at the PCM engine, instead of being silver it looked like it had been varnished with a yellow tint. Thats exactly what happened to my 1983 when the belt flipped off and over heated, it varnished over. Sorry to go on and on about the glory days but I really like the SS's and the 1983 was a great year no matter what part of the year it was made. I especially like the SS's when picking a skier back up and just putting my arm out on the side of boat and getting the ski, no standing up stepping back away from windshield to get ski. Those boats (hulls) were ( are) more functional for the skiers than the new ones.

fox-rod
02-20-2008, 07:28 PM
the owner was pretty prompt with the reply, so I should email or call mastercraft then:confused: maybe there are some decoders on this board:confused:

The Hull ID Number is MBCDE519M83FPD
and Registration Number WN2297JM

love the feedback so far.

Cloaked
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Built in June 1983.

Look at the stringers where the engine mounts and see if they are fiberglass covered or not.

fox-rod
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
what will that tell me?

sdesmond
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
what will that tell me?

The answer to your question. If you see fiberglass on the stringer then they are not just wood stringers.

EricB
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I am of the understanding ALL 83's were glass stringers. If you review the old ads, none of them say "1/2 way through 1983 we changed". I believe that would be false advertising.

Now, granted, ther was still wood in 83 (dash parts, floor parts, seat parts) but the stringers were supposed to be glass. I have some of the old ads that push this.

6ballsisall
02-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Thats a decent price for what looks to be a really nice looking 83. I'd jump on it quick!

fox-rod
02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
I am definately going to go look at it.

What should i look for when i go for a demo? What is normal quickyness for that boat?

ie:
-bouncy guages
-exhaust white smoke on startup
-dirty under the engine?
-how much leaky is normal, say we go out for 10 minutes, is it normal to have any water at all in the boat?
-where should I feel for play in the drivetrain? how much is acceptable?

thanks for the replies so far:guitar: , if I buy it I will certainly post up some pics :dance: and just so you guys know I have made my mind up on a mastercraft.

one more thing and I apologize for the list of q's :eek3: , but how much driveway room do i need for one of these babies :uglyhamme.

H20skeefreek
02-21-2008, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, you should stop using so many animated smiles.......j/k.

Anyway: Eastie has a boat buying checklist on here some where, that would help.

If that boat is a low hours boat, then at some point the hour meter has been unhooked, but hours aren't a problem. These boats will go 2000+ hours easily.

I think that $6500 is a little high for that boat, but not insane. It really depensds on the condition. I payed that for my '85, four years ago, and my boat has NO wood anywhere in the construction. I just ran the NADA value of my boat the other day, and it was around $5500. I'd try to get it for a little less, maybe throw in some equipment for that price. If he won't budge, as long as the boat is in good shape, don't lose the deal over small change, but as with buying anything, be willing to walk away, don't get emotionally attached/excited.

As far as the list you posted goes....most likely the gauges are going to be jumpy, particularly the fuel gauge, they all are.

A SMALL amount of smoke on a cold start is pretty typical, it should be mostly steam, but if you get a lot, it's not the end of the world, the boat is 25 years old, a little engine work will go a long way.

Overall cleanliness will tell you how well the boat was taken care of. It is actually really hard to clean a bilge that has been dirty for years. You have this large engine in your way, and most bilge cleaners aren't really that efficient at cleaning without scrubbing, (chime in if you know one that is, anyone).

In a 10 minute ride, you will have some water, but not a lot, but in my opinion, 10 minutes is not ANYWHERE long enough to test drive a boat. I'd make sure you are there for the cold start up, then I'd go out and run it pretty good. Do plenty of skier take offs. Shut it down, start it back up, everything that you'd do on an outing on the lake. And I'd stay out on the water for at LEAST an hour. And if you can SKI behind it. I personally think that the wake on these boats is almost as good as the current boats (with the HUGE exception of SPRAY), but some people don't like it. It depends on what you've been riding behind previosly. I've you've been skiing behind a Four Winns, you'll LOVE it, if you've been skiing behind a 2007 196, you may be disappointed.

There really shouldn't be any play in the drive train. A little slop in the steering is normal, and fixable.

Try to spin the engine mount bolts with a wrench, if they spin freely, walk away.

And as far as the "quikyness" for that boat, it should be able to pull a house off the foundation. Top speed should be around 43-44 depending on transmission.

In this age of boat, you are definitely right in going with Master Craft. As far as they competition at that stage of the game....they were no competition.

Good luck.

Jim@BAWS
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
FOX-ROD,

Please remember. you are purchasing a 25 year old boat. I know that you are spending over $5000. It is a $5000 that you will always be able to get back as long as the boat is kept up. From the looks it looks clean.

From experince...I don't know who posted it. 83 was a transition year 1/2 wooden stringers 1/2 fiberglass. Look carefully you will be able to tell. If you have wooden ones and they are on good shape. That will tell you something. It has been taken care of. Go for it you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy

Jim@BAWS

EricB
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Jim;
So what you are saying is that the advertisements for 1983 were not true?

bxroads
02-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll sell you mine for $7000 and give you an awesome mechanic to speak with to verify its integrity. It's a tight boat. Definitely fiberglass stringers too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/1983%20Mastercraft/IMG_1048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/bxroads/1983%20Mastercraft/IMG_1064.jpg

Bruce Carr
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
The attached photo is of an early '83 SS with wooden stringers and floor. Notice the notched cutout in the floor for the engine mount and the absence of a round access hatch in the floor forward of the pylon.

The fiberglass stringer models will not have the notch cut into the floor but will have angle iron lag bolted along the edge of the floor. Also there should be a plastic access hatch about 8 inches in diameter in the floor forward of the pylon to access to bilge pump.

There are several othe rdifferences but the above are easy to identify.

Bruce

Bruce Carr
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I accidentally responded to your question on how to identify a 83 with wood stringers on the post entitled 85 SS. Have a look.

Jim@BAWS
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Jim;
So what you are saying is that the advertisements for 1983 were not true?

Sorry...I really don't get your point here. I have been told that half way through the model year in 1983 is when MC went to fiberglass stringers. That is a topic that has been discussed here time and time again. You can pick it up pretty easy in your boat to see if yours has fiberglass stringers. On the other side I have never seen a 83 w/o fiberglass stringers. MasterCraft has and still does today have running changes in production. It would not make much sense to do a running change like that. But this is the info that I have been given time and time again.

Hope that this explains my beliefs

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Sorry...I really don't get your point here. I have been told that half way through the model year in 1983 is when MC went to fiberglass stringers. That is a topic that has been discussed here time and time again. You can pick it up pretty easy in your boat to see if yours has fiberglass stringers. On the other side I have never seen a 83 w/o fiberglass stringers. MasterCraft has and still does today have running changes in production. It would not make much sense to do a running change like that. But this is the info that I have been given time and time again.

Hope that this explains my beliefs

Jim@BAWS

I still remember the thread when we beat that dead horse. I don't doubt it's been excreted out the back of the archives by now. But as I recall, at least someone chimed in that he had an 83 with wood stringers, confirming that it was a "some time in 83" change.

fox-rod
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
good morning everyone here is a recap:

-there are some 83's with wood stringers but less then the ones with fiberglass.

-mastercraft is the best boat.

-the stars and stripes models are timeless classics which hold value well.

-demo the boat as if you were out on the lake skiing.

-the wood stringer 83's have a reccessed cut were the motor mount is.(THANK YOU BLUE CARR!!!)

:banana:

anyone disagree :dance:

fox-rod
02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
just to finish this off as a pretty darn comprehensive thread on the transition between hul designs I have found some pics on this site of the motor mounts of an 84.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6783&d=1140280914

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6785&d=1140280945

thanks to all who contributed

:)

MMCCAR12
02-22-2008, 03:32 PM
My 83 has glass

Jerseydave
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
fox-rod for your own peace of mind you could always have a survey done on the boat prior to purchase. People that do surveys can discover things that you or I cannot, including condition of engine, stringers, transom, gelcoat, etc. Sometimes problems are found that the seller honestly didn't know were there. If any such problems exist, you could walk away or use them to get the owner to fix them or adjust the price accordingly.

This happened to me when I bought my Formula, although that boat was around $70K I didn't want to take any chances. You could also get a mechanic that you trust to look things over.

The older Mastercrafts are great boats! Many people incl. Cypress Gardens have put them to the test and they can take alot!