PDA

View Full Version : Unplug trailer lights?

rjfenger
03-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Noticed that my trailer manual contradicts itself in regards to unplugging the trailer lights. On one page it says the "disc brakes will not release without the special connector wired to your back-up lights on your two vehicle" and on the next page it says "be sure to unplug the lights each time before backing into the water".

Should I unplug my lights before backing into the water?

Thanks,
RJ

Ric
03-27-2005, 12:23 PM
some say yes, some say no
are your lites the sealed type?
I never unplug mine (sealed type) and you are correct, if you unplug them, you cannot back up.
(at least not on level ground or backing uphill at all)

Noticed that my trailer manual contradicts itself in regards to unplugging the trailer lights. On one page it says the "disc brakes will not release without the special connector wired to your back-up lights on your two vehicle" and on the next page it says "be sure to unplug the lights each time before backing into the water".

Should I unplug my lights before backing into the water?

Thanks,
RJ

ski36short
03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
If you have disc brakes and you unplug (without setting the manual override, which can be a PITA), you won't get any further unless the ramp is pretty steep. The lights are sealed so you shouldn't have to worry about getting them wet.

NatesGr8
03-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I always unplug mine to prevent them from blowing out, or blowing fuses in case some water leaks into the light housing or in the connector where it hangs in the water when launching.

just my :twocents:

Leroy
03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Have sealed and never unplug. Depends on what you have for lights.

AirJunky
03-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Mine are sealed & I never unplug. But about once a year notice that one of the lights is full of water & has to be replaced.

aprgriggs
03-27-2005, 08:36 PM
How do you know if they are sealed?

AirJunky
03-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Yours are sealed, April. Anything newer than about '93 I think has sealed lights.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
If you have a new trailer you must leave it plugged in. They have hydraulic brakes in which engage/lock up when you back up if you don't have them plugged in. Wired through the reverse lights, the brakes disengage only via power from the reverse lights.

Crash
07-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Always leave them plugged in...how else will you find out if you have a short? :D

Besides leaving them plugged in allows me to launch 15 seconds quicker, meaning more time on the water! :banana:

SKI*MC
08-04-2005, 08:09 PM
I never knew you should unplug them...

Mi.mc
06-08-2006, 09:47 PM
ive never really bothered with it because our trailer's color could be classified as "rust"

Crash
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
How else are you going to know if you have a short if you dunk it in with the lights on?:D

LakePirate
06-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Pilot02 gave me a hard time the other week because I unplugged his.

As far as backing it in with the breaks, just the slightest angle and a gentle approach will keep the brakes from locking.

stevo137
06-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't unplug em'
F work.

TMCNo1
06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Yours are sealed, April. Anything newer than about '93 I think has sealed lights.

All the lights were the sealed kind on our '89 when we bought it new. Now have LED lights all around that are also sealed. We have never unplugged our lights in 17 years. I have to keep mine plugged in now because of the disc brakes.

NeilM
06-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I used to unplug 'em (sealed) -- a behaviour I adopted when I had non-sealed lamps -- but the spacing between concrete blocks on some ramps is enough to lock up the disc brakes on gentle slopes, so I don't bother anymore.

TMC... how do you like the LED's and where did you get 'em?

TMCNo1
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
TMC... how do you like the LED's and where did you get 'em?

Wouldn't trade them for anything, at night it looks like the circus came to town when they are lit up. Much brighter in the daytime too, over regular lights.
Got them locally from a wrecker dealership that has them for spares for tow trucks and a tractor/trailer sales/service facility. $109+- invested in total changeover + spares. They had manufacturers catalogues for every kind of LED available, then I found the info below,
www.awdirect.com or 1-800243-3194 has everything you will need to do a changeover to LED's. Get a catalogue from them if possible!

WTRSK1R
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
My '92 came from the factory with sealed lights. However, I had a light that the seal went on it, and the light was half filled with water for over a year without any issue. The sealed lights no longer have a socket that could short out, so really unless the seal goes, and the vacuum on the lamp goes it is almost impossible to create a short circuit condition. I left the one that was half filled with water in until the lamp finally burned out. Did the water shorted the lamp life? Maybe, I will never know. But it certainly did not hurt anything in the tow vehicle, or any of the other trailer lamps.