PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis? Can you get it in the toe?

88 PS190
02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Random ?? here but I walk alot, probably adds to a few miles a day, and the last month or so my right big toe has hurt when I push off it. It feels like it comes from a tendon on top of the toe.

Is this a common thing?

What do people do for tendonitis? I had something like this in my leg once, and just took pain relievers and avoided much activity.

But if I stop walking I will have to drive and pay probably 5$ a day in parking which I only live a 15 minute walk from campus.

Any advise, I am sure someone's dealt with something like this.

bobbyB
02-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Yep

My son had it in his large toe on one foot. Believe it or not he was in the middle of his swim season and got it from pushing off the wall at the turns. We even took him into a phys theropist and they basically said that there wasn't much they could do for it. They did come up with a way of taping the foot to take some of the strain off of the toe and that seemed to help....took about 2-3 weeks of foot taping and he was most of the way back.

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but you may want to have your uric acid level checked for the possibility of Gout. Being you are younger and a student it may still be a remote possibility. Gout appears usually in the lower extremities, in the big toes/just behind the toes, top of the foot, ankles and also in the knees, wrists and elbows, or at least that is where I have had it.

tex
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but you may want to have your uric acid level checked for the possibility of Gout. Being you are younger and a student it may still be a remote possibility. Gout appears usually in the lower extremities, in the big toes/just behind the toes, top of the foot, ankles and also in the knees, wrists and elbows, or at least that is where I have had it.
That's what I was gonna suggest!

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
That's what I was gonna suggest!

Last year, I had several attacks in my knees, right wrist and right elbow and I had been staying away from certain foods that would cause it. A new doctor changed a medication that was actually elevating the uric acid level and I haven't had a attrack in 5 months. In my case it wasn't just my diet that was causing it.

Covi
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
My guess is the gout. I've had it in my toes, and elbow. I can tell you it is painful. Good luck! Are you a heavy alcohol drinker?

TX.X-30 fan
02-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I had to spot repair some grout in the main room but all that happened was my knees were sore for a day?? Still can't figure out how grout can make a big toe sore????

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I had to spot repair some grout in the main room but all that happened was my knees were sore for a day?? Still can't figure out how grout can make a big toe sore????

Wear shoes, no grout in the toes!:rolleyes: :uglyhamme :headbang:

88 PS190
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Well gout is an interesting diagnosis.

That's for sure, I have no history of it, though I do drink maybe twice a week and have 6-8 drinks when I do.

I'm still leaning towards tendonitis, I can grab the tendon and it is painful, and it goes away mostly over the weekend when I am not walking to and from class 4 times a day. Then comes back midweek which unfortunately means now. It sounds like gout is alawys painful, this is really just when i walk fast and push off my toes.

TX.X-30 fan
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Is there a friend that could help you get to class for 10-14 days, it should clear up by then if you let it heal.

If its not hilly there this would be the "green" solution! 8p

88 PS190
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
if it weren't snowy I would ride a bike or my motorcycle, if it were snowier I would cross country ski... but a rickshaw... that could just work.

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Well gout is an interesting diagnosis.

That's for sure, I have no history of it, though I do drink maybe twice a week and have 6-8 drinks when I do.

I'm still leaning towards tendonitis, I can grab the tendon and it is painful, and it goes away mostly over the weekend when I am not walking to and from class 4 times a day. Then comes back midweek which unfortunately means now. It sounds like gout is alawys painful, this is really just when i walk fast and push off my toes.

Is your toe red, swollen and feel like it is hot or has temperature in it?

Take 2 tylenol and call back in the moring after you have seen a doctor!

88 PS190
02-20-2008, 10:13 PM
no temp, no color, no swelling.

feels fine now, I had a pretty light day, just sat around campus and studied.

Bruce
02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
See orthopedic doc and get steroid injection. He may suggest PT.

88 PS190
02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
People and their love for doctors. I haven't seen the orthopedic doc since the follow up on my shattered femur.

bigmac
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
People and their love for doctors. I haven't seen the orthopedic doc since the follow up on my shattered femur.You're right, of course. The excellent medical advice rendered on boating forums like TMC has put many doctors out of a job ;) .

Tendonitis, gout, fracture, arthritis. All possble, but until Harold actually gets a chance to examine it, we won't know for sure.

loeweb
02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd say it's turf toe if it is only sore on the top or bottom. If it's a dull ache all around the toe I'd say you've got some tendonitis. Two good things about hurting your toe though

1. It's a long way from the heart
2. you hopefully have nine others that can take over if they have to.

TMCNo1
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
You're right, of course. The excellent medical advice rendered on boating forums like TMC has put many doctors out of a job ;) .

Tendonitis, gout, fracture, arthritis. All possble, but until Harold actually gets a chance to examine it, we won't know for sure.

My first diagnoisis would have been to amputate, but I didn't want to ruin his lovelife.
I would prefer not to have heard he had appeared on DrPhil is a special show devoted to a one armed Team Talker who was in a financial, verbal, physically abusive relationship with his only hand.
Drink 2 beers, take 2 Tylenol and call me in the morning after you see your doctor tomorrow!
Signed, ........................OutHouse

Believe me, I'll never have a tv show! See, I didn't even realize this wasn't the Hurting Wrist thread!

Bruce
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
You're right, of course. The excellent medical advice rendered on boating forums like TMC has put many doctors out of a job ;) .

Mac I find it intresting he asked for advice then scorned us when we responded!. I stand by my response knowing Doc would likely xray before he did anything. If not a little steroid injection would help. (just ask Barry Bonds!)

Footin
02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Funny this thread came up, my right elbow has hurt kinda bad for the last six weeks. It especially hurts to shake someones hand.

Have not been to the Doctor yet, thought it may be tennis elbow and get better soon.

TMCNo1
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Mac I find it intresting he asked for advice then scorned us when we responded!. I stand by my response knowing Doc would likely xray before he did anything. If not a little steroid injection would help. (just ask Barry Bonds!)

Take it from me, I have taken steroids (Prednizone) over the years and now I can never compete in the Olympics! :rolleyes:

88 PS190
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Mac I find it intresting he asked for advice then scorned us when we responded!.

Not scorned. I took your advise and then called up family members who are in medical professions for more specifics on both my diagnosis, and on gout.

I don't know if I'm convinced it isn't gout, but when I walk and it hurts I can tighten the arch of my foot which keeps the strain off the tendon which hurts (yes I have probed it and it is definately the Extensor hallucis longus which is in pain) And when I keep it loaded the other direction it was pain free to walk. Which any description of gout seem like the pain is more extreme than I am experiencing, as well as mine comes and goes based on how much walking I am doing, today for instance when I sat around reading most of the day and took a bus to class I have no pain. Tomorrow if I hurry back and forth between lectures it may be back again. And the last thing is diet, from what I've read about it so far foods high in purines are linked to it. My parents are vegetarians, and I tend to eat only small portions of meat, alcohol is only linked from brewers yeast, and I tend to not drink large amounts of beer or wine, but rather distilled alcohols, which would then not have the purines.

If anything the suggestion of gout has lead me to figure out the symptoms more accurately.

I do value the input, but eh, who doesn't like to figure this sort of thing out themselves.