PDA

View Full Version : How to install seat skins

nmcjr
02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I purchased a few new seat skins-rear bench, rear corner, engine cover. The seats have a raised section in the front that requires a tie down where the color changes (see below) because the grey sits higher than the light grey.

Does anyone have any steps or pointers for installing skins? Or, is the best advice just to hire someone?

Thanks!

east tx skier
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Depending on the cushion, hiring someone is not a bad idea, but get a quote first.

On the seat bottoms, it's not all that hard as a general rule. Just go slow. Start in the middle of a side, and work toward the edge.

nmcjr
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Would you then go to the opposite side, or the adjacent side? Also, how tight do you pull it?

Thanks.

#47of100TeamMC
02-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Would you then go to the opposite side, or the adjacent side? Also, how tight do you pull it?

Thanks.

If your asking questions like that, I'd say hire it done... Just sayin' :D

east tx skier
02-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks.

Start in the center and work to the corners. Pull tight enough so there are no wrinkles, but not so tight that it compresses the foam. It's not an exact science, and not something I would do on the more complicated pieces. I think I've done it four times and only had to be rescued by the upholstery guy once.

Maristar210
02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Ned you reading this?

Ric
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I purchased a few new seat skins-rear bench, rear corner, engine cover. The seats have a raised section in the front that requires a tie down where the color changes (see below) because the grey sits higher than the light grey.

Does anyone have any steps or pointers for installing skins? Or, is the best advice just to hire someone?

Thanks!

How to install seat skins:
Order skins from MC
Receive skins
put them in your truck and tow the boat to the upholstery shop.
If the shop is nice and clean and pretty, leave there and go to the next upholstery shop.
Work out a price and leave it to the pro's.
Go work some overtime to pay for the upholsterer.
Done

BrandonKTM
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Paying takes all the fun and learning out of it! Yea and use Stainless staples when you do it. If it doesn't look perfect, just redo it.

C36
02-20-2008, 05:42 PM
...The seats have a raised section in the front that requires a tie down where the color changes (see below) because the grey sits higher than the light grey.

Does anyone have any steps or pointers for installing skins?

Would you then go to the opposite side, or the adjacent side?...

I did my rear bench seat last summer (and both trunk covers and one side rail). Our bench seat had the same raised detail on the front edge of the bench:
measure the depth (from the seem to the staple holes) of the webbing (mine was a golden fabric used to hold down the transition seem) on the existing (old) skin
turn skin inside out
get a marker and draw a line at this depth on the webbing on your new skin
position the skin right to left
staple Stainless Steel staples along the line on the webbing as close as you can to the orignal staple holes
turn skin rightside out and loosely position the skin to make sure you are happy with the vertical profile of the transition seem (level, even, depth, right-to-left, etc.)
if you are not happy remove staples from webbing and try again - if you are happy tension and staple the front edge of the seat down next (as this is the most visible portion of the rear bench)
staple the two back seems to the corners of the base with the amount of tension you want and in the postion you want them
tension and staple rest of the skin to the base working from one corner to the next around the skin

ETS gave good advise on tension - so I will not repeat.

Sewing in new panels was a LOT harder than stapling the skins into place IMHO. If you have replacement skins, you have already by-passed the hard part. If you remove the old skins you will have an idea of the amount of time to install in the new ones (about the same, maybe slightly less). Just take your time and find an assistant to help keep the tension of the skin even.

I hope this helps. :twocents:

nmcjr
02-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot. The part on the webbing makes sense and was the part I was most concerned with.

RE: Hiring it out: to be honest I am not so concerned about the cost as I am some knucklehead doing a worse job than I can do. If I knew of a reputable shop (Sacramento) I would certainly consider it. Thanks again.

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Check the yellow pages for "Auto Upholstery" and ask for references and if you know someone who works at a car dealership or sells used cars, ask them who they use for upholstery/carpet repairs, convertable tops, etc. You probably don't have a boat dealership around that you could ask either.