PDA

View Full Version : Poppy Seed Bagels & P-Tests

coz
02-20-2008, 12:06 PM
So I caught the tailend of mythbusters the other night and they were testing to see if you would come up possitive in an employment drug screen by eating poppy seed bagels and sure enough they came up possitive for opiates not long after eating the bagels and even the next day they were testing possitive. They had mentioned that in some instances companies were giving random tests and high execs were losing their jobs because of dirty tests and not knowing why they came up possitive. I had no idea and I'm sure that alot of other people are clueless so if your company tests or for pre employment screens be sure to stay away from the poppy seed bagels or anything with them. :D I personally don't like them so no worries here.

TMCNo1
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
I saw that too!
I was once told by one of my so-called friends when trying to join TT, that I had to submit and pass a urine test. Needless to say, at that time I knew little about computers and shortly after submitting the sample, I had to replace my keyboard! I must have passed!

bigmac
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
So I caught the tailend of mythbusters the other night and they were testing to see if you would come up possitive in an employment drug screen by eating poppy seed bagels and sure enough they came up possitive for opiates not long after eating the bagels and even the next day they were testing possitive. They had mentioned that in some instances companies were giving random tests and high execs were losing their jobs because of dirty tests and not knowing why they came up possitive. I had no idea and I'm sure that alot of other people are clueless so if your company tests or for pre employment screens be sure to stay away from the poppy seed bagels or anything with them. :D I personally don't like them so no worries here.Drug testing is a HORRIBLE thing. The assumption by virtually everyone is that they are 100% accurate and they simply are not. Sloppiness and variation in the method of collection, method of storage, method of shipping to the reference lab, and method of actual testing is highly variable, dependent on testing personnel that actually give a crap, and a lab that makes its money on high volume and low bid. The poppy-seed-myth (which is NOT a myth) is a perfect example. The shrill, self-righteous high road that so many companies like to take with their zero-tolerance policies have ruined MANY careers unjustly, and the sad part is that their is no way to really disprove a false-positive drug test.

We may all think "Who cares if my company institutes drug testing? I don't use drugs"...but try proving you DON'T use narcotics after a poppy seed-induced false positive. Or urine specimen that tests positive for on-the-job alcohol because the person collecting or storing it left it on a room-temperature shelf long enough for it to ferment.

chudson
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I saw that too!
I was once told by one of my so-called friends when trying to join TT, that I had to submit and pass a urine test. Needless to say, at that time I knew little about computers and shortly after submitting the sample, I had to replace my keyboard! I must have passed!

SHOCKING!!!!------BZZZZT

6ballsisall
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Drug testing is a HORRIBLE thing. The assumption by virtually everyone is that they are 100% accurate and they simply are not. Sloppiness and variation in the method of collection, method of storage, method of shipping to the reference lab, and method of actual testing is highly variable, dependent on testing personnel that actually give a crap, and a lab that makes its money on high volume and low bid. The poppy-seed-myth (which is NOT a myth) is a perfect example. The shrill, self-righteous high road that so many companies like to take with their zero-tolerance policies have ruined MANY careers unjustly, and the sad part is that their is no way to really disprove a false-positive drug test.

We may all think "Who cares if my company institutes drug testing? I don't use drugs"...but try proving you DON'T use narcotics after a poppy seed-induced false positive. Or urine specimen that tests positive for on-the-job alcohol because the person collecting or storing it left it on a room-temperature shelf long enough for it to ferment.

Agreed! My parents have a long time friend who they use to teach with that had retired and then wanted a little extra spending money. He applied at Walmart and accepted a job. Went and did the drug testing and he failed. This guy ate a poppyseed muffing every morning for breakfast and never thought twice about it or how it would affect the test. Well needless to say is that he failed. He wasn't even given a chance to explain what happened or anything. Employers don't care and can't take the risk. Kinda crumby........

Jesus_Freak
02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
...Kinda crumby........

The muffin or the policy?

chudson
02-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I was just telling a friend here at work about this thread and he said it's true, he was telling me he was an MP in the army and had to take a drug test but a week before he and his wife had gone out for dinner and he ate some rolls with the poppy seeds on it. His test came up positive even a week later, it was low on the scale but was still detectable. They finally traced it back to the rolls from the meal but man-o-man a week later?

Covi
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I saw that too!

That's Excellent LOL!

Thrall
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
It's true. My wife (g/f at the time) was doing her nursing internship and had to drug test, working in a hospital. She popped (no pun intended) positive for opiates.
Was because she got a almond-poppyseed muffin every morning on her way to school. Once she layed off the poppyseeds, she was clean.
It was a pretty big deal, considering her access to the real stuff in a hospital.

captain planet
03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Our company recently had hold a seminar about drugs and alcohol to comply with the BWC. The guy that came in and did the presentation said that poppyseeds won't effect a test, that you would have to eat MANY poppyseed bagels to even register on the test. Now I don't know what to believe.

6ballsisall
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Our company recently had hold a seminar about drugs and alcohol to comply with the BWC. The guy that came in and did the presentation said that poppyseeds won't effect a test, that you would have to eat MANY poppyseed bagels to even register on the test. Now I don't know what to believe.

I can't speak to poppyseed bagels as I've never had one or seen one. As for poppyseed muffins, it only takes one! Maybe muffins have a higher concentration of seeds??:confused: