PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise

SoCal205
02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I was going to change my transmission fluid and when I put my boat in forward the shaft made a horrible sound. The last time I was in the water the noise was not there. Boat has only been in the garage. So my question is is this normal?

Sodar
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I was going to change my transmission fluid and when I put my boat in forward the shaft made a horrible sound. The last time I was in the water the noise was not there. Boat has only been in the garage. So my question is is this normal?

Wet down the prop shaft. The sound will be gone.

The cutlass bearing in the prop strut is self-lubircated by water. Once the boat is put back in the water, the sound will be gone....

loeweb
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
If the boat was out of the water it will do that. Don't worry about it, just don't do it too much for too long. No lubrication on the packing around the shaft.

SoCal205
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the info.

88 PS190
02-19-2008, 03:21 PM
ha ha, its a common prank for new boat owners, start it on a hose and slip it in gear. Squeal is terrible.

I will however recommend not to put your boat in gear out of the water. your transmission will eventually warm up at idle anyway.

Bruce
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
You just had part of your initiation! Many of us have done the same thing so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Welcome to the club!