PDA

View Full Version : What is a Powerslot?

Rick_Seebeck
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok - I am comfortable enough with my ingnorance to endure the chuckles that will undoubtedly come as a result of this question:)

What is a powerslot and how is it different from a non-powerslot. Is there such a thing as a non-powerslot?

I am really powerslot impaired! Help me understand. :o

OhioProstar
02-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Standard directdrive inboards run a 1 to 1 gear ratio. A Powerslot transmission runs 1.5 to 1 and gives more toque out of the hole. Powerslot also turns a larger prop 14" vs. 13" on a 1 1/8 shaft vs. a 1" on a standard drive.

WTRSK1R
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
PowerSlot is an option that changes the gear ratio of the transmission to increase the out of the hole shot. In the early days, there was actually a "slot" in the hull to allow for a slightly larger propeller (14 x18) instead of the standard prop.

east tx skier
02-19-2008, 12:49 PM
PowerSlot is an option that changes the gear ratio of the transmission to increase the out of the hole shot. In the early days, there was actually a "slot" in the hull to allow for a slightly larger propeller (14 x18) instead of the standard prop.

I believe that slot was also present in the later hulls whether the gear reduction was added or not. Sporty will be the one to set me straight about this. There's a pretty extensive thread on the subject out there somewhere (possible that it's already been archived).

damaged442
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Powerslot = more efficient way to remove arms from sockets!

88 PS190
02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
There are two things to consider with power slot, as ***SK1R mentions early boats have an added clearance pocket in the hull as well as a gear reduction drive (1.5:1 velvet drive) and a larger prop, and I believe bigger drive shaft as well.

As the hulls progressed the hull was standardized and all boats were clearanced for the bigger prop, but the option remained for a 1.5:1 velvet drive system, and larger propeller.

The term Powerslot remains on all current boats, with the main benefit being that when you take a skier out of the water and up to 36 mph it has more "traction" or rather less prop slip so the boat will get to speed faster.

Additionally with really powerful skiers (like they were in the 80's with the Lapoint bro's) the skier has less ability to out pull the driver. Top speeds are about the same between the slot/nonslot configurations.

Currently a powerslot option is available on current boats as well though it is no longer a velvet drive. Additionally while mastercraft lead of with a 1.5 gear reduction that was eventually realized as perhaps a bit more than was needed, and Correct Craft ran a smaller reduction gear drive, the current varients of Mastercraft have also reduced down into the 1.2ish range, I believe it is 1.23 ratio.

Here is an image of a powerslot velvet drive transmission. Note the reduction drive is a unit that bolts to the transmission consisting of a planetary gear reduction unit and a case. Pretty simple, adds a few inches and a few pounds.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/hawkskier/velvet.jpg

TMCNo1
02-21-2008, 07:18 AM

I think this is the slot WTRSK1R is refering to, it was like a minature hook and effected the rooster tail also,

Roonie's
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
standard for the 07 X2 (and all 07 X series boats and maristar line except x7) is a 1.56:1 gear ratio transmission. The prostar line is a 1:1 and the csx is a 1.26:1 ratio.