PDA

View Full Version : Used X-Star Owners

magnum
02-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Just had a Question for X-Star Owners. We are in the market for a used X-Star in the 04 or 05 models and most available out there have the MCX engine, I have seen comments on here from it works fine to you need the larger engine for the X-star. Just wanted some comments from owners. I am in the central part of the US. Give me your thoughts & experiences which engine works best for you. Thanks

erkoehler
02-18-2008, 11:28 PM
The MCX by no means is under powered, but at times w/ extra ballast and a full load of people it is nice to have the 8.1L or LY6.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
just traded my 05 with mcx. i put the 14.25 X 14 on the boat and it was more than adequate. the mcx with that prop and stock ballast will get you 5.3 gallons per hour at 21.5 mph. it is very smooth and quiet. unless you are going to run 4000 lbs. of ballast all the time it is a very good engine. i just traded my 05 to memphis bot center. it was treated very well by me both while on the water and when on land. it has never been winterized as we ride year-round. it was kept in a specially built , insullated, heated boat shed when not on the water. i traded for an 08 with L18 because at the time i ordered my new boat the LY6 was having overheating issues if you had a heater on the boat. so i upgraded to the L18. i hope i am happy with the noise and fuel consumption. but to be direct in answering your question, the mcx is a killer engine WITH THE RIGHT PROP AND AT SEA LEVEL.

Jerseydave
02-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I agree with OMR^

My '05 X-star with MCX runs great. Last year we were running stock ballast +1200-1400 lbs. and with the right prop it was fine. The stock prop 13.7 X 17 will only be good if you run stock ballast only and 3-4 people in the boat, nothing more. Just change the prop and you've got a good machine.

Best of luck boat shopping (always fun IMHO) :)

marty5
02-19-2008, 08:00 AM
kind of a related question, but how is the stock ballast on the X-Star with say 3-4 people in the boat? I've read posts on different forums that claim everything from its incredible to it sucks & you have to have 4000lbs of ballast before the thing kicks butt. Anyway, just curious what I'm going to need to do...to an '07 with the MCX. Also, how does the X-Star compare to the X-2. I originally thought I wanted the X2 but when seeing the boats sitting next to each other, the XStar really seemed like a much nicer boat.

snork
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a 07 XSTAR for sale w/ 350HP MCX and could not be more happier with the engine. My 08 XSTAR most likely will have the MCX as well. The extra 50HP from the lY6 would be nice for more top end speed ( I like to barefoot behind the XSTAR after a day of wakeboarding ) But probly will not order the LY6 untill it has the CATS like the MCX. If i,m not mistaken the LQ9 385HP was in the 05 and 06 XSTAR. MCX any day over the LQ9

magnum
02-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I have test driven a 04 X-star with the 8.1L and it didn't seem to have the extra power I thought it would have , I think it had the stock prop, I think with the right prop it would have been awsome, I have not test driven the X-star with the MCX to compare, have driven other models with the MCX but not the x-star, Any X-star owners with the 8.1 have any comments?

ecelis
02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
We have a 2006 and are very happy with the boat. We add about 2700 lbs to the stock ballast. With the right prop it is able to get it on a plane, but it struggles. We only use the boat for wakeboarding so it is not a problem to reprop it, but we can not use it to cruise or ski, as it will be running way over 4000 rpm once you get around 30mph.
Stock wake is excellent for beginner to intermediate, but you have to slow it down and shorten the line. We run between 22.7 and 24.5 and 80+ feet of rope with all the extra weight and 18-20mph with stock ballast.
Our next X-Star will have a bigger engine.

MYMC
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
kind of a related question, but how is the stock ballast on the X-Star with say 3-4 people in the boat? I've read posts on different forums that claim everything from its incredible to it sucks & you have to have 4000lbs of ballast before the thing kicks butt. Anyway, just curious what I'm going to need to do...to an '07 with the MCX. Also, how does the X-Star compare to the X-2. I originally thought I wanted the X2 but when seeing the boats sitting next to each other, the XStar really seemed like a much nicer boat.
The stock rear tanks are too far forward due to the "vent" in the hull so stock the wake is very round...we never fill them except to level the wake due to seating. We always use bags in the rear...and lead:rolleyes:

MYMC
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, I'll be the odd man out here...the MCX is fine if you don't plan on friends or extra ballast.

Here in NC (alt of 670 msl) and on a typical summer day of 90+ with high humidity (density altitude of 3100' or more) the MCX's are taxed with stock ballast and people. All of our X-Stars are L-18 equipped runnning a OJ 13.7x17.5 and have never had a problem pulling people and 3000 extra lbs...

I could go on about fuel economy and resale but why beat a dead horse.

JohnE
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Cause it's what we do here.:D

duckguy
02-19-2008, 03:56 PM
MCX is to small

magnum
02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
You see a lot of used ones out there for sale with the MCX but not many at all with the 8.1, maybe that is why they are for sale , have figured out they are to small for that size boat

corey
02-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Until this generation of the 6.0L the Pro Wakeboard Tour ran the MCX with the PWT ballast kit. Propped correctly that set up runs perfectly fine, while I'd prefer an X-Star with an LY6 I'd never pass up a good deal on one with an MCX.

duckguy
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Xstar with the Ly6 is money

magnum
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Was the 06 model when they first started using the LY6 ?

jkski
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
If you haven't already purchased, you might want to call Kim at Boat House Marine (www.bhmtrilakes.com) as they have a great looking 04 pretty loaded with the MCX and only 211 hours listed for $49,995.
Great looking boat.

Jerseydave
02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
That '04 sounds like a nice deal ^^

Keep in mind no swivel board racks or JL stereo in '04, otherwise pretty much the same as '05. Put some '07 switch graphics on it and it would look like an '07!

X-Aggie
02-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I love my boat with the 8.1. With 10 people and 500 odd pounds of stereo gear and a full tank of gas I'm sure happy to have all that low end. Plus it yumms up 87 octane year around.

magnum
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks jkski, nice looking boat , I will keep that one in mind, I have test driven an 04 with the 8.1 and I think I am hooked on that engine , Looking at a used one if the owner decides to upgrade and if not our dealer might have some others in mind.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
if at all possible try to go with an 05 or newer xstar. as stated you will get the swivel board racks, and 7.7" JL speakers and amps. also, you will get throttle by wire. my dealership got me the 2006 rudder and swapped it for me. then, i got perfect pass to send me the uprgraded chip for the speed control and i had a very nice rig which was very much like the 06 and 07 and the only significant difference in the 08 is vdig. the only thing left to do at that point is add the correct prop and the fly high integrated ballast and you have a pro level boat. one more thing nice about the 05 is that the rear tower legs have pre-drilled hole that will accomodate the Fusion I Series racks on the rear tower legs and then you can carry eight boards instead of just four. man, you would have it going on and be one bad dude on the lake. then get you a Doors cd and play Waiting for the Sun really loud on a Sunday morning dawn patrol set. Then be prepared to have to take an extended summer vacation. good luck and let us know how it works out. "At first flash of Eden, we race down to the sea. Standing there on Freedom's Shore. Waiting for the sun....Waiting for the Sun....Waiting for the Sun". Tell 'em Jim. hahahahahahahaha

Doug G
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, I'll be the odd man out here...the MCX is fine if you don't plan on friends or extra ballast.

Here in NC (alt of 670 msl) and on a typical summer day of 90+ with high humidity (density altitude of 3100' or more) the MCX's are taxed with stock ballast and people. All of our X-Stars are L-18 equipped runnning a OJ 13.7x17.5 and have never had a problem pulling people and 3000 extra lbs...

That horse isn't dead, it's glue ;)

Mike is right and IMHO the most knowledgeable here on the topic. My x-30 with stock ballast and peeps is "taxed" with the MCX, so extrapolate that out to the x-star with extra ballast and peeps to form your own opinion. I have not re-propped it yet which I expect will help, but the point is why start with something that needs help?

magnum
02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Is it true that M/C is going to discontine the 8.1L engine soon. At this time the resale value of the X-Star with the 8.1 is still up there, just don't see very many for sale with the 8.1