PDA

View Full Version : Another Camcorder Thread

JBaker
02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I just upgraded my iBook to a Macbook Pro :headbang: (very excited.) Part of the reason is that this summer I plan on shooting some video and experimenting with editing, etc. Problem is, I don't have a camcorder yet.

I don't have kids or anything so it's just to get video of us ridin' and partying. I'd rather not spend too much because I have never videoed before and who knows if I will actually take to it. I think I'll hold off on getting a Hi-Def because I don't have access to a blu-ray burner; I figure if I do use this camcorder a lot, I will upgrade and by then the Hi-Def camcorder and blu-ray prices will have come down. Also, since it will be use primarily on the water, disaster could strike.

I think my primary use will be to make compilation DVDs or short videos that I upload. I would like it to be DVD quality so it looks respectable on a larger TV.

FYI I plan on using iMovie atleast for awhile. I am iMovie illiterate but hope to do my editing there for awhile before purchasing any extra software.

TIA for any advice. You guys are the best.

JBaker
02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
More of a bump than anything, but I am considering the Panasonic SDR-H40. Any thoughts or recommendations?

tr6coug
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Check this site.

www.camcorderinfo.com

I used it to research my last camcorder purchase. I suggest a 3-ccd mini-dv camcorder. Panasonics are good. Mini-dv video does not get compressed as much as the dvd and harddrive formats, so quality tends to be better. Although I'm sure dvd and harddrive and now flash memory are catching up.

Leroy
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
The Sony equivalent, but with better performance appears better. I am also looking for HDD camcorder.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665291488

But I have always hated Sony.

JBaker
02-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Check this site.

www.camcorderinfo.com (http://www.camcorderinfo.com)

I used it to research my last camcorder purchase. I suggest a 3-ccd mini-dv camcorder. Panasonics are good. Mini-dv video does not get compressed as much as the dvd and harddrive formats, so quality tends to be better. Although I'm sure dvd and harddrive and now flash memory are catching up.

Useful link. Thanks.

How important is 3-CCD? It this seems to be the main difference between a $400-$500 camcorder and those that are twice as expensive.

Jonathan94
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I am looking for a new camcorder - hybrid (HDD with flash drive/card, min 40GB, not high def).

Considering Sony

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10312744&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79&N=4008713&Mo=33&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4708&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

but open to other options. Any suggestions or recommendations?

russlars
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I would recommend that you consider this camcorder: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HV10-High-Definition-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000H7MHFC
I upgraded to this camera several months ago and I think it is fantastic. The HD video is superb and it is small and easy to handle. About the only shortcoming I have seen is low light performance. However, this is a weakness with most of the small consumer grade camcorders. I also like the idea of having my video recorded to tape. It is a great way to archive your video and it is easy to capture to your hard drive and edit with several different editing programs.
Check it out.:)

NU-skier
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
If you're going to be mounting on the pylon the disc recorders and hard drive camcorders tended to have problems recording without errors due to vibrations in our boats. Our ski club members have had the best performance from the less expensive mini DV tape units when mounting the units.

CarlosCabanas
08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm just starting to look into a camcorder. Browsing the older threads has been useful. Still not sure whether I should be buying flash, HD, or DV, any more comments on the subject? Does anybody know which model you can buy hardcases for scuba diving with?

Carlos