PDA

View Full Version : SS Hoses

BrandonKTM
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I just looked at 454Prostar190's boat pictures and his engine is sweet. I want to do the SS hoses on my 351W. Anyone done this, and if so where did you get the hoses & fittings?

88 PS190
02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
stainless hoses as in fuel lines? Or does he have stainless water lines too?

The fuel lines are most likely the braided Stainless steel line and aluminum fittings. You can buy that sort of thing from Summit racing, or many other automotive suppliers, things like carb fittings are all standard items so you will have no problem.

I will look up 454prostar's pictures and see if that's what you saw.

88 PS190
02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Just looked at his pictures, he's obviously done more than just the fuel lines, but it is all in the same variety of product I described.

good place to look at the variety of fittings that are around, you can go with just a little bit of these lines, say just from pump to carb very simply and it will be a nice dress up.

Going with every hose under the hatch is going to get more expensive and you'll need to search more for the fittings.

TMCNo1
02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Check your local street rod, race car, motorcycle shops and your hose shops in the Yellow Pages for local suppliers. Airplane Maintenance Facilities and Industry needs and uses them too.
This site has all kinds of S/S hosees, hose covers, fittings, http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/Spectre.asp and also 'Google', "Stainless Steel Braided Lines" and there are more than you can count.

BrandonKTM
02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks. Good idea on Summit. I will be in Ohio next week and near them. Save shipping if I can figure out what I need. I looked on-line as well and JC Whitney has a ton of them. I guess lots of auto parts places have them. The fittings on the end are not obvious as to how/what. I need to do some more research! I think the hose ends are just covers to hide a standard Hose Clamp, but that sure seems Mickey Mouse and not a real upgrade. Won't be doing the exhaust hoses!

stuartmcnair
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I just finished doing my fuel line...partial list from memory...ordered it all from jegs

06 AN proflex hose
06 AN fittings (2)
06 AN to 1/4" pipe right angle adapter (connection to fuel pump)
7/8" -20 to 06 AN Holley fitting

I might change the fitting at the carb to a 45 degree instead of a straight fitting for ease of connection

Chicago190
02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I prefer Earl's SS hoses to other brands. They are easier to cut and attach fittings. This site should help you look up everything you need for fuel and cooling hose. http://www.holley.com/index.asp?division=Earls

cbryan70
02-19-2008, 12:15 AM
man i love the docking lights on his boat....would love to put somthing like that on mine but looks like ALOT of work just a cool add on

Covi
02-19-2008, 07:32 AM
This is some work my local engine guys does. Nice stuff. I hope the pic comes out.

denverd1
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Covi, your engine looks great. Got a hi-res pic of it hosted? also, where did you get the exhaust manifolds?

Covi
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
denverd1, It's actualluy not my engine but a buddy's. You wont believe what kind of boat it is in. This is the work of my mechanic. I don't trust anybody but him to turn bolts on my engine. Here is a link to his website where I pulled the photo from. If you need I can take some more when I can get at his boat.

http://sunapeevintageboats.com/services.php

denverd1
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow! I knew that engine bay didn't look normal. Amazing boats. I bet their fun with modern power. Not to mention all the structural and cosmetic woodwork. Very cool. talk about a niche business.

Covi
02-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Yea, He has it going on! More important he's good, and treats other peoples boats as if they were his own. I should mention he's not cheap!

EFiles
03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I just finished doing my fuel line...partial list from memory...ordered it all from jegs

06 AN proflex hose
06 AN fittings (2)
06 AN to 1/4" pipe right angle adapter (connection to fuel pump)
7/8" -20 to 06 AN Holley fitting

I might change the fitting at the carb to a 45 degree instead of a straight fitting for ease of connection

Would there be any USCG approval issues with doing this?

Changed my fuel pump to the PCM type a while back and had to get the new hard fuel line from SKIDIM to go with it. Does not fit well. Similar problem to what TMC01 has mentioned in other threads (too short). I made it work but it will weep if not tightened regularly. Been wanting to go to a braided hose but having a hard time finding someone local to make it up as well.

TMCNo1
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Would there be any USCG approval issues with doing this?

Changed my fuel pump to the PCM type a while back and had to get the new hard fuel line from SKIDIM to go with it. Does not fit well. Similar problem to what TMC01 has mentioned in other threads (too short). I made it work but it will weep if not tightened regularly. Been wanting to go to a braided hose but having a hard time finding someone local to make it up as well.

I don't see any reason for there to be a problem with the USCG. Many high performance boat manufacturers and engine builders use s/s braided lines installations and engine piping. The cost of the fittings and hoses is what prevents the everyday manufacturer from using them instead of rubber hoses and clamps.

stuartmcnair
03-29-2008, 11:00 PM
No issues at all. Based on what I am seeing and hearing it is a much better way of doing it. I figure it they use them in jets they should be OK in boats. They also use them in the NASA rockets that we saw in Huntsville today. I pointed them out to my wife in hopes that she would stop giving me grief on what I spent since they are good enough to go to space.

EFiles
03-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree with you guys. If it's good enough for NASCAR and NASA it's probably good enough for my MC. I just couldn't find any reference to USCG approval on any of the manufacturer's (Russell, Earl's) websites.

This is what it says at www.uscgboating.org:

Fuel Systems

Manufacturer Requirements

FEDERAL LAW

183.558 - Hoses and connections

(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be “USCG Type A1” hose.

If a hose is used in the fuel line running between the fuel pump and the carburetor, the hose must be “USCG Type A1” and so labeled as required by 183.540. This requirement is applicable whether the fuel pump is engine mounted or mounted remotely from the engine, as permitted by 183.566.

This requirement does not apply to a tube used to detect fuel pump diaphragm failure.

TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW

A hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor is “USCG Type A1.”

And this:

Fuel Systems

Equipment Standards

FEDERAL LAW

183.540 - Hoses: Standards and markings

(a) “USCG Type A1” hose means hose that meets the performance requirements of:

(1) SAE Standard J1527 DEC85, Class 1 and the fire test in Sec.183.590; or
(2) Underwriters’ Laboratories, Inc. (UL) Standard 1114.

(b) “USCG Type A2” hose means hose that meets the performance requirements of SAE Standard J1527 DEC85, Class 2 and the fire test in Sec 183.590;

(c) “USCG Type B1” hose means hose that meets the performance requirements of SAE Standard J1527 DEC85, Class 1.
(d) “USCG Type B2” hose means hose that meets the performance requirements of SAE Standard J1527 DEC85 Class 2.

NOTE: SAE Class 1 hose has a permeation rating of 100 grams or less fuel loss per square meter of interior surface in 24 hours.

SAE Class 2 hose has a permeation rating of 300 grams or less fuel loss per square meter of interior surface in 24 hours.

The permeation rating of the hose refers to the quantity of fuel which will pass through the walls of the hose out into the boat when the hose is filled with fuel. You could think of this as a slow leak. Fortunately, the fuel vapors formed by this low level of permeation are readily dissipated by the ventilation system.

You may use USCG Type A1 hose for any application. In some cases, you may find the difference in price between A1, A2, B1, and B2 does not justify stocking all four types.

And also this:

Fuel Systems

Equipment Standards

FEDERAL LAW

183.540 - Hoses: Standards and markings

(e) Each “USCG Type A1,” “USCG Type A2,” “USCG Type B1,” and “USCG Type B2” hose must be identified by the manufacturer by a marking on the hose.

(f) Each marking must contain the following information in English:

(1) The statement “USCG Type (insert A1 or A2 or B1 or B2).”
(2) The year in which the hose was manufactured.
(3) The manufacturer’s name or registered trademark.

(g) Each character must be block capital letters and numerals that are at least one-eighth inch high.

(h) Each marking must be permanent, legible, and on the outside of the hose at intervals of 12 inches or less.

The use of a fire sleeve does not automatically qualify a hose as “USCG Type A.” Hose and sleeve must be properly matched. Hose and sleeve suppliers should be consulted to obtain a certification that the hose-sleeve combination will qualify as “USCG Type A.”

All lettering, numerals, and trademarks used on hose must be at least one-eighth inch high. Markings must be permanent, legible and on the outside of the hose. Hose markings must be repeated along the length of the hose so there is a complete marking within every 12-inch section of the hose. Short pieces of hose which do not show the complete label are permitted to be used, provided it is shown that the longer pieces of the same hose and the inventory of hose comply.

FIGURE 21 - Hose Marking

TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW

Is the hose marked?
Does the marking contain all the following?
“USCG Type A1, A2, B1, or B2”
Year of hose manufacture
Manufacturer’s name or trademark
Are all the letters and numerals at least one-eighth inch high? and
Are the markings permanent?
Legible?
In the English language?
On the outside of the hose?
Are the marking intervals on the hose 12-inches or less?