PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Impeller

ncsone
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Anyone got any suggestions on removing a stubborn impeller? Please let me know as I could not remove mine during a service attempt yesterday. Thanks in advance.

mayo93prostar
02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
3 options i know of. 1. use two needle nose pliers on opposite sides of impeller, grabbing fins, and pull. 2. two metal paint can openers with tabs on end, slide in between fins for tabs to grab back of impeller and pull both at once. 3. buy an impeller puller and use it. someone on here once suggested spraying some kind of lubricant in around the impeller, turn it over some and then try again. good luck.

#47of100TeamMC
02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Spray some soapy water all around in the housing. turn the motor over once. Grab a pair of paint can openers one on each side, she should come right out. If you are replacing it anyway, you can use a couple needle nose pliers, grab the flaps on opposite sides and pull. Good luck.

TMCNo1
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyone got any suggestions on removing a stubborn impeller? Please let me know as I could not remove mine during a service attempt yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Here is a very helpful thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20320&highlight=impeller!

#47of100TeamMC
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey mayo, you readin' my mind? :D

BrianM
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Spray some soapy water all around in the housing. turn the motor over once. Grab a pair of paint can openers one on each side, she should come right out.

I have always had excellent results with this method.

mayo93prostar
02-18-2008, 11:00 AM
47 - nope, but we have seen this a few times on here and I have had trouble before. pliers usually work for me.

nc - if you replace it each year, it is less likely to stick. also, keep one as a spare in the boat.

TMCNo1
02-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Putting some Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease inside the impeller hub and on the pump impeller shaft will help with removal next year. It's a chore to dissolve this stuff with mineral spirits and even lacquer thinner during clean-up, so water won't wash it off that easily.

ncsone
02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Will try all of these methods (if needed) tonight or tomorrow night as time allows. Thanks!

jimmer2880
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
If you are going to toss the old impeller, I've had good luck with screwing in 2 wood screws into the rubber hub portion. Then, just use your prying tool of choice (crowbar or vice-grips). Once it starts to slide, pliers work great.

For some reason, I always forget to neverseize the shaft.

ncsone
02-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks to all who pitched in on this one. I got it replaced. I went back at it with 2 pliers and it came right off! Thanks again to all for the advice!

TMCNo1
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Putting some Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease inside the impeller hub and on the pump impeller shaft will help with removal next year. It's a chore to dissolve this stuff with mineral spirits and even lacquer thinner during clean-up, so water won't wash it off that easily.

Thought I would add a pic,

flipper
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Spray some soapy water all around in the housing. turn the motor over once. Grab a pair of paint can openers one on each side, she should come right out. If you are replacing it anyway, you can use a couple needle nose pliers, grab the flaps on opposite sides and pull. Good luck.

This one works most of the time for me. One time I had to pull the coil wire, use pliers to grab the impeller, and bump the motor while I pulled. Only had to do that the first time I did it on mine.

russlars
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
The other thing that works is to bump your engine to find out which way it turns and then put some pressure in the opposite direction. This seemed to free mine up so that I could pull it out.:)

loeweb
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I watched a friend take the whole housing off. Couldn't get him to listen and use teh can openers I had on board of my boat. About 45 minutes later he listened and we got it out with a little convincing.