PDA

View Full Version : Since Canuks are snow'd in...we do other things for fun..

CottagerGreg
02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Nothing like a little fun up north with some snow removal at the family cottage in Muskoka...

Did some shoe shoeing, shoveling, ATV riding, enjoy the scenery..

From this past weekend, Feb17th... all snow was during the course of the last 2 weeks.. about 30-35 cm worth.. or about foot and a half..

Hell with shoveling...ATV is the way to do it!

Driving up with the Touareg, equipped with 17" Pirelli snows... since SUV's with 19" wheels don't like the snow (shhhhhh don't tell the other SUV owners as they are idiots for trying! We want them in the ditch!!)

Twisty single lane gravel base road through the woods, up and down, left and right...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/021620081153.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/021620081155.jpg

The beast... 2004 bombarier outlander 400cc with winch, 60" BRP snow blade... this thing is a champ! ATP Mud-litte XL tires for grip..

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/DSCN5435.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/DSCN5436.jpg

CottagerGreg
02-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Finally finished after about 1 1/2 hours.... we have a fairly large driveway up at the family cottage..

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/DSCN5446.jpg

Touareg with it's winter setup

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202008/DSCN5448.jpg

Slinkyredfoot
02-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Looks like a winter wonderland, where exactly is Muskoka?

88 PS190
02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
what's wrong with 19" wheels in the snow? not enough side wall?

CottagerGreg
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Muskoka is 1 1/2 hour north of Toronto.

From Wikipedia

"Cottage country is a common name in Canada for areas that are popular locations for recreational properties such as cottages and summer homes. The name is often applied locally; that is, any major population centre may have its own popular "cottage country" area. For example, Toronto, Ontario residents might say "I am heading up to cottage country this weekend," which is understood to be referring to Muskoka or Haliburton, whereas a speaker from Ottawa would use the same phrase to denote the Rideau Lakes area.

In Toronto, "cottage country traffic" also refers to automobiles that travel to and from cottage country on Friday afternoons and Sunday afternoons. Cottage country traffic is usually extremely heavy on long weekends, such as Victoria Day in May and Civic Holiday in August.

The Muskoka District Municipality, more generally referred to as the District of Muskoka, The "Muskokas," or, simply, Muskoka (the official name is the District Municipality of Muskoka) is a Regional Municipality located in Central Ontario. Muskoka extends from Georgian Bay in the west, to the northern tip of Lake Couchiching in the south, to the western border of Algonquin Provincial Park in the east. Located approximately two hours north of Toronto, Muskoka spans 2,500 square miles (6,475 km²). Muskoka has some 1,600 lakes, making it a popular resort destination. Indeed, this region, which, along with Haliburton, is referred to as "cottage country", sees over 2.1 million visitors annually. Muskoka is a scenic area sprinkled with picturesque villages and towns, farming communities, and lakeside vacation hotels and resorts near to golf courses, country clubs, and marinas. The regional government seat is Bracebridge. This area encompases Lake of Bays township, Georgian Bay township, Muskoka Lakes township and the towns of Huntsville, Bracebridge and Gravenhurst. Visitors often refer to the area as "The Muskokas" but local people do not.

Muskoka has just over 50,000 permanent residents, but an additional 100,000 seasonal property owners spend their summers in the region every year, making this a major summer colony. Many of the seasonal properties are large mansion-like summer estates, some of which have been passed down through families from generation to generation. Most of these expensive properties can be found along the shores of Muskoka's three major lakes, Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau, and Lake Joseph. In recent years, various Hollywood and sports stars have built their retreats in Muskoka, including Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Mike Weir,[1] Martin Short and Nancy Dolman, [1] as well as Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. Also, Eddie Van Halen and Catherine O'Hara and Michael John Lapointe ("The Final Goal",1995, directed by Jon Cassar of "24" fame) are rumoured to have resorts here.

The soap opera Paradise Falls, about a fictitious cottage community, was shot partly on location here, to take advantage of the scenic background. Muskoka poets and authors include Martin Avery, (Cottage Gothic, Northern Comfort) , Karen Hood-Caddy, and Mel Malton, and the author and sports writer Roy Macgregor. There are six municipalities in Muskoka: the towns of Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, and Huntsville; and the townships of Georgian Bay, Lake of Bays, and Muskoka Lakes. The Wahta Mohawk Territory and Moose Point 79 are also in the district.

Many summer camps are located in the region, to take advantage of the lakes there, which offer opportunities for canoeing, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, waterskiing, and other water activities, and to provide a refuge from hot, smoggy cities during the summer months."

CottagerGreg
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
what's wrong with 19" wheels in the snow? not enough side wall?

First off the tires are more geared towards summer temperatures even though they have a M&S rating. They are very flat and stiff. The rubber at temps below freezing tends to resemble plastic.. thus sliding around.

Snow tires are plyable at low temps, tread blocks have many slits to spread and "grab" the snow and ice surface.

All testing of good snow tires in sub zero snowy conditions show improved braking distances of over 20%+ and greatly improved turning and handling ability.

also why would you want to subject your nice wheels to salt for 5 months?

88 PS190
02-17-2008, 08:11 PM
also why would you want to subject your nice wheels to salt for 5 months?

makes sense, I have a pair of steels with winter tires for my car. Good call.