PDA

View Full Version : What size of drive for plug?

ETC
02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a new to me '03 Maristar and have removed the plug just using vice grips but would prefer to get the right size of drive to remove/put in the plug what size do I need?

Also there is a soft hose behind the observers seat that connects to the floor and then up to a small plate on the dash. What is it? and mine is currently unconnected which I am sure needs to be connected before taking the boat out but I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks for help with these beginner questions.

Eric

erkoehler
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Hose could be a heater hose or vent hose.

TMCNo1
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I have a new to me '03 Maristar and have removed the plug just using vice grips but would prefer to get the right size of drive to remove/put in the plug what size do I need?

Also there is a soft hose behind the observers seat that connects to the floor and then up to a small plate on the dash. What is it? and mine is currently unconnected which I am sure needs to be connected before taking the boat out but I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks for help with these beginner questions.

Eric

I would use adjustable crescent wrench!

88 PS190
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Its one of those square head brass plugs right? Does it go in from the inside or from the outside?

if so I would get one of these.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PLUG0.750-T

I forget what thread they'd be but for the actual drain plug these are great, you pop the engine on the shore station and squeegie all water down the drain hole and screw it back in.

I'd nab your plug, go to the hardward, check the thread in the plumbing section, then buy the right one from ski dim.

coz
02-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Eric

Get a plug like this and you only need your hand no wrenches required.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2272065197_fbdf79129a.jpg
The hose sounds like a vent hose, what size is it?

coz
02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Its one of those square head brass plugs right? Does it go in from the inside or from the outside?

if so I would get one of these.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PLUG0.750-T

I forget what thread they'd be but for the actual drain plug these are great, you pop the engine on the shore station and squeegie all water down the drain hole and screw it back in.

I'd nab your plug, go to the hardward, check the thread in the plumbing section, then buy the right one from ski dim.

You beat me 88 ps190 :D I went out to take a pic of mine and replied and came back to see you drew first.:D

88 PS190
02-17-2008, 07:09 PM
nah I was looking for a good picture like yours
so I could integrate, but google search failed me, and I didn't want to save and upload an image.

These things are worth their weight in gold, and you keep the other one so if you lose one you're not going to be out of business.

ETC
02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes it's a square head brass one that goes in from the outside. Good idea on that handle type of plug. Wish the boat wasn't 4 hrs. away.

The hose is probably 4" in diamater (rough guess).

Eric

88 PS190
02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
4" sounds alot like blower vent hose.

If its on the outside of the boat I would leave it square head.

The appropriate tool is either going to be an open end wrench or an adjustable crecent type wrench.

Jerseydave
02-17-2008, 09:53 PM
If your referring to the transom drain plug, I just use an adjustable wrench.

4" hose behind observers seat sounds like a vent hose as someone said. (draws in fresh air while underway, sends it to the bilge)

mayo93prostar
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
the 4 inch hose up front should be vent hose from vent up by windshield down to bilge. there should be a 4 inch round hole up there for it to go into. you may have to stick your head up under the front to find it. you should clarify where the plug is. is it in the middle of the boat through the bottom (this is the drain plug), is it in the back of the boat accessible from the outside (also a drain plug), or is it one of the drain plugs on the back of the exhaust manifold?

ETC
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
It's in the back of the boat accessible from the outside.

It does sound like the vent hose that several of you have mentioned. Thanks.

lsupcar
02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
My 2001 Maristar transom drain plug is a 3/4 inch hex. I use a 1/2 inch drive rachet.