PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Palace

east tx skier
02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I can't be the only one who has had the pleasure of seeing a show at the Crystal Palcee in Aspen. This wonderful dinner theater has been a regular stop for us on ski vacations. My parents began going there in the 60s and I began going in the early to mid 80s. There aren't many dinner theaters anymore, much less any that could so consistently reduce me to tears. Rarely have I laughed so hard. It's owner, Mead Metcalf, is the star of the show. He'll sing you "The Peanut Butter Affair" though he hates it, and close sining, "Get the hell out, it's over." I've got many fond memories of this place.

Well, I was saddened to learn the other day from a friend who, on our recommendation, had taken in his first show there, that after over 50 years, Mead has decided to retire to Crested Butte and this will be the last season. My sister was going skiing with her daughter, and managed to get reservations for March. I'm envious.

If you've ever been to this place, you can relate to my feelings about it. When I heard the news, I felt as if I'd been punched in the stomach. There's not a place like this anywhere else in the world. I'm sad to see it go.