PDA

View Full Version : X-80???

codeman671
02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I am interested in a new or used X-80. I have read some of the past threads regarding them. I sold my Tige 24VE and am thinking of getting rid of my Monterey 298SS for an X-80. It seems like the X-80 would be a good mix of the two, it can handle any kinds of watersports but us still big enough to cruise the lake on rough days. Being on Lake Winnipesaukee it can and usually does get rough...

Can any dealers or people that have been in one give me their opinion?We are not competition boarders by any means, we just want to get out and have a blast while being able to get a bit more use out of it than just wakeboarding.

Top speed with different single or twin motor options?
Prices paid for those that have bought?
Any dealers or owners selling one currently?
Any other thoughts? Or bikini pictures on one? :D

snork
02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Try the X35 its the up and coming boat of the year. Looks to be the best for all conditions, water and skiing

ShamrockIV
02-17-2008, 03:13 PM
x 80 is a beast!! i am not shot in the butt about twin screws or dual throttles and gear shifts!!!

JoshBuzz
02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Not a great wakeboard wake, you have to ride in the upper 20's to get a clean wake, and most people usually ride at 23. great cruiser, just not a great boat for wakeboarding!! Try the CSX 225 or the X-35 both great boats with a deeper hull to fight chop, and a great wakeboarding wake!!

Jerseydave
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
How about the X-45? I'm surprised no one suggested that yet.

I have heard to stay away from the X-80 with a single engine.......it's a real dog! On the other hand, with twins it's a quick as any MC out there, outdone only by the prostar. Might be a nice boat for your needs. Twin MCX's should be plenty of power (700 hp).

I've been to Lake Winni twice before, beautiful lake! Sometimes calm enough for a prostar, sometimes too rough for a 30 footer! (My Formula 303 had a rough time crossing one time) Hopefully we'll get back up there again sometime. (do you suggest any nice waterfront inns besides the NASWA?)

Welcome to Mastercraft!

JohnE
02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Where are you in the northeast. I know where there is a Maristar 280 SS which may be had at a deal.........

codeman671
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Where are you in the northeast. I know where there is a Maristar 280 SS which may be had at a deal.........

I am in NH. If it is the one at Ward's it does not have a tower. I definitely want one well equipped.

ChrisConn Inc.
02-18-2008, 12:44 AM
How about the X-45? I'm surprised no one suggested that yet.

I have heard to stay away from the X-80 with a single engine.......it's a real dog! On the other hand, with twins it's a quick as any MC out there, outdone only by the prostar. Might be a nice boat for your needs. Twin MCX's should be plenty of power (700 hp).

I've been to Lake Winni twice before, beautiful lake! Sometimes calm enough for a prostar, sometimes too rough for a 30 footer! (My Formula 303 had a rough time crossing one time) Hopefully we'll get back up there again sometime. (do you suggest any nice waterfront inns besides the NASWA?)

Welcome to Mastercraft!
IMHO the X45 is an all around great boat. Very roomy, 400hp motor, handles rough water reasonably well (Lake Mead, NV) and my 5 year old can wakeboard behind it. My only complaint is the price, but if you're looking at the X80 then thats not an issue. Go for a test drive.

Good Luck!

Benny Boy
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I am interested in a new or used X-80. I have read some of the past threads regarding them. I sold my Tige 24VE and am thinking of getting rid of my Monterey 298SS for an X-80.
:D

My understanding is that, with the Monterey you have, you want and need a big boat. The X80 is absolutely amazing. If you're not a pro wakeboarder, you'll love the wake. Wait till you see it for surfing: phenomenal. I've driven that boat a few times and that beast almost drives like a small boat. With twin engine, it takes off like a rocket. Top speed is not much, same as other types (43-47mph depending on engines).

I understand why all those guys are suggesting the X35 and X45: most of us on this forum are used to smaller boats and can't figure out why someone would want such a big boat. When you open your horizon to boaters of big waters who may be looking for something other than a cruiser, I'm telling you, MasterCraft really hit the bullseye (did I spell that right?) with the X80.

It's the most fun you can have on a 28 footer, I garantee you.

corey
02-18-2008, 01:02 PM
The X-80 is a great all around boat. We have only one customer with one, but he can not say enough good things about it. While they are primarily using this boat for surfing, I know that they wakeboard behind it. The level of riders varies as they use the boat to entertain clients, mostly beginner to intgermediate riders.

I would highly recommend the twin engine option, it is much easier to dock and a riot to drive. I do not remember checking top speed exactly, but I do remember hitting around 50 mph. Resale is MUCH better on twin engine X-80's and there is a reason for that, they are that much better to drive.

All in all the X-80 handles rough water much better than an X-45. We were able to take an 80 out on the intercoastal and it was awesome. If possible take a demo in the boat, you will be sold.