PDA

View Full Version : Polishing, can't restore shine, looks worse!!

nmcjr
02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi All,

I purchased a Porter Cable polisher and Edge 2000 pads. My intent was for spring cleaning, to remove light water spots, and generally shine it up and clean for waxing. It is a 2002 X-Star and the gelcoat is in good shape and shines well already.

As instructed by Meguiars, I used the Marine Color Restorer on the mild cutting pad, followed by the high gloss marine polish on the polishing pad.

Here's the problem, the area I started with now looks worse than before I started!! While you have to look closely and it doesn't look terrible per se, there is a noticable difference. It basically looks like a haze and the reflection of say my watch is not as clear. It appears the orange pad is the culprit, but I can't tell if it has marred the surface or simply removed the original gloss. Conventional wisdom tells me that any hazing that occurred from the cleaning stage should be polished out, but the polishing is just not taking. In the process of spending 4 hours on this one area, I also tried the Meguiars DA cleaner polisher and speed glaze (auto prodcts).

What am I missing? Was there some sort of gloss enhancing coating on there I need to replace? Do I need to use different products?

Thanks in advance,
JR

drbesvold1
02-17-2008, 11:48 AM
your best bet is to get ahold of tmcno1 aka harold , he is the best guy to get ahold of with any questions in polishing your boat he is doing his boat daily .

flipper
02-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Does the pad have build up on it? I've had that problem before, cleaned the pad really well and came out fine. I've never used the pad you talking about, but may need to use a less aggressive pad to polish it back out.

TMCNo1
02-17-2008, 12:35 PM
your best bet is to get ahold of tmcno1 aka harold , he is the best guy to get ahold of with any questions in polishing your boat he is doing his boat daily .

All I have ever done with mine, is when I have sanded a area with 2000 microfine Wet-or-Dry sandpaper, wet, for a scratch or chaffing, I then polish out the sanded spot with Blue Magic metal polish with a wool pad in a cordless electric drill, then I apply the normal coat of wax to restore the protection.
I have never used anything to restore the original gloss, cause I've never lost it to oxidation fading/chaulking, etc. I've just had to maintain the original gloss with a good pure paste wax.

TMCNo1
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Does the pad have build up on it? I've had that problem before, cleaned the pad really well and came out fine. I've never used the pad you talking about, but may need to use a less aggressive pad to polish it back out.

Right, the finer the sandpaper and the finer the polishing pad and polishing compound, the higher the gloss!

drbesvold1
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
see i knew harold would come thru for you lol

nmcjr
02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. Flipper, to answer your question, the pad was clean when beginning, but maybe too course...

I will go finer on the pad and polish and see what happens.

JR

nmcjr
02-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, it appears the Color Restorer essentially color sanded it. It is very abrasive. Not a big fan of the Meguiars marine line at the moment. Now, nothing I have will bring gloss to the area. What do you all do after color sanding? Thanks.

CPlane Pilot
02-18-2008, 08:42 AM
There are two places I go to for advice and products.
www.autopia-carcare.com
www.topoftheline.com
Two products I'm especially impressed with are Klasse All-in-One for exterior and 303 for vinyl

BrianM
02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, it appears the Color Restorer essentially color sanded it. It is very abrasive. Not a big fan of the Meguiars marine line at the moment. Now, nothing I have will bring gloss to the area. What do you all do after color sanding? Thanks.
The Color Restore is a pretty abrasive. Get yourself a bottle of the 3M Perfect-It II polish. This stuff works wonders at bringing back the shine. It has an extremely mild abrasive and will remove fine scratches and dulling and bring back a high gloss.

MMCCAR12
02-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Brian, Do you machine polish with the 3m product or hand polish.
Mike

BrianM
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Brian, Do you machine polish with the 3m product or hand polish.
Mike
Either way. I have done both. Just depends on the size of the area. When I used the machine I had excellent results with these pads.
http://www.properautocare.com/coprorpopa.html (http://www.properautocare.com/coprorpopa.html)
http://www.properautocare.com/oeccste65inf.html

The pads from that company are top notch. I have used their wool for compounding and then the orange, white and red. Those orange pads will not leave swirl marks. I use the Meguires 3 step process on my wifes black car that had a lot of water spots. Used the Paint cleaner and Orange pad which removed all of the water spots, then used the White pad and the Polish and folled up with the Red Pad and wax. Came out swirl mark free with a really deep shine. Hard to get good results on black. These pads are awesome.

nmcjr
02-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks again for the replies-as usual this place is a great place for advice and experience. I have used 3M products with great success on cars and considered that. I ended up calling properboatcare.com (same people as properautocare.com). They were very helpful and knowledgable with hands on experience with boats. I ended up ordering the complete complement of their pads and Gelcoat Labs products. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again!!

BrianM
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks again for the replies-as usual this place is a great place for advice and experience. I have used 3M products with great success on cars and considered that. I ended up calling properboatcare.com (same people as properautocare.com). They were very helpful and knowledgable with hands on experience with boats. I ended up ordering the complete complement of their pads and Gelcoat Labs products. I will let you know how it works. Thanks again!!
You will not be disappopinted with the pads (by the way the pads are all the same boat or auto). Haven't used their polish/wax products.

nmcjr
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Forgot to mention (also to anyone pad shopping), I liked these pads because they have a convex contour to them to help follow the contours of the boat. The flat ones tended to "walk" a bit at times in concave areas. Obviously haven't used them yet, but looks like you have so I am hopeful. At this point my wife thinks I could have paid to have it detailed--twice (halogen lights, porter cable, pads, compounds)--but where is the fun in that?? It's just ;) time and money, and besides this is how my projects always go...