PDA

View Full Version : Kick panel sub, what about box?

bridomine99
02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
On my 01 Prostar 190 when I crawled under the bow I noticed the kick panel is precut for a sub. It looks like all I would have to do is cut the carpet away and would be good to go to mount it, but......

How have you handled a box behind the sub for back pressure. I could probably build something leaving one side open and then fasten it to the kick panel from the back side and then seal it up tight with silicone or something using the kick panel to close off the open side of the box. First, is this what is done and how does it sound?

Alternativly, has anyone tried just putting the sub in a std box and putting the whole works under the bow? How did this sound?

The sub I have is a 12" Rockford Fosgate and a matching Rockford amp.

Thanks

bridomine99
02-16-2008, 05:44 PM
One more thing....pictures are always awesome.

Yellow X9
02-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I'll take a sub in an enclosure over a free air / infinite baffle sub any time. Under the bow in an enclosure should work fine

flipper
02-17-2008, 01:12 AM
I have a 12" JL sub under the bow of my 190, and it sounds awesome. Pretty much the same effect as the trunk of a car.

drbesvold1
02-17-2008, 01:13 AM
i have 2 10" subs under my 190 bow and they are bumpin out on the water

bridomine99
02-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds like under the bow would work great, which is easier than trying to fab up a box. What about the amp? Can you mount it up underneath the bow also without overheating issues? Alternatively, I was going to put it under the drivers side dash.

rwoznock
02-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi guys! Bass frequencies are non directional, you can't seem to tell where the bass is coming from. Should sound fine up there!

flipper
02-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Sounds like under the bow would work great, which is easier than trying to fab up a box. What about the amp? Can you mount it up underneath the bow also without overheating issues? Alternatively, I was going to put it under the drivers side dash.

should be fine, I have two amps under the bow. Just make sure that water can't get to them. Like if you take a wave over the bow or something.

Eric x-9
02-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I built a box and used the factory pannel I will take some pictures of it today I can five you the measurements if you want I built the box for a JL 10w6 it worked out great! just finshing up the tower box as well I will get pictures of that too

bridomine99
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I built a box and used the factory pannel I will take some pictures of it today I can five you the measurements if you want I built the box for a JL 10w6 it worked out great! just finshing up the tower box as well I will get pictures of that too

Thanks for the offer and I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures; however I am going to go with a std box under the bow as described above.

puck_11
02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh come on engineer?!?! Where's that fabricating spirit that I once knew?

Ric
02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
brido, I had a 10" sub with a storebought enclosure under the bow of a 190.

Do what I did and mount the sub as far forward in the bow as possible and strap it to the rubrail line on the inside of the bow. This leaves you maximum storage space and protects the sub from your gear and any water.

I liked knowing that it was not an extra 30lbs on the drivers side of the boat if I'd mounted it behind the kick panel.

someone mentioned this, but point it any way you like to protect the screen from the gear because it will not matter for sub bass sound.

bridomine99
02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh come on engineer?!?! Where's that fabricating spirit that I once knew?

lol...

I have to admit it is a little wierd to have people who you know talking back to you on forums.

Now....it is one thing to want to work on projects and it is another to create unnecessary work. If I can drop in a box (buying for 20 bucks from a guy on craigslist by the way) and not do any fabricating / drilling holes into my new boat; I'll do it every time. There is plenty of work to be done on other things.

Since your giving me a hard time how is that teak deck of yours coming? Mine looked like s**t when I started and its coming around pretty nice. Maybe we should each post up pictures of the current state for our friends here on the forum and let them decide who is avoiding projects...lol. Just don't forget who drove you to all of those hockey practices in high school buddy :).