PDA

View Full Version : "Boat Buddy"--is it enough???

russlars
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
The "transom tie down straps" thread generated a lot of discussion and opinions. How about this one: How many of you trust your "Boat Buddy" as your only tie down for the bow while trailering? Do you also you a supplemental safety chain? Has anyone ever heard of a boat buddy failing? This takes on even more significance when you consider how many people don't use transom tie down straps while trailering! Is there a routine for checking the Boat Buddy to make sure that it is functioning properly?

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 03:36 PM
My routine check up for the boat buddy: I look at it :D Honnestly, I'm the worst example, but I'm disciplining myself to always use tie down straps now. That's new for me cause I used to just put the boat on the trailer and go.

coz
02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
The "transom tie down straps" thread generated a lot of discussion and opinions. How about this one: How many of you trust your "Boat Buddy" as your only tie down for the bow while trailering? Do you also you a supplemental safety chain? Has anyone ever heard of a boat buddy failing? This takes on even more significance when you consider how many people don't use transom tie down straps while trailering! Is there a routine for checking the Boat Buddy to make sure that it is functioning properly?

My last boat trailer had a chain and hook that went through the front ring after you cranked it snug with the wench strap. My MC trailer doesn't it just has the BB. I figured if this trailer doesn't come with a safety chain OTD then I guess it doesn't need one, but then I strap the back too.

ShamrockIV
02-16-2008, 04:30 PM
i use the winch and the boat buddy!!! i am old school i do not trust boat "buddy" by himself!!!!

milkmania
02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
boat buddy & winch strap

TMCNo1
02-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Winch, Boat Buddy and s/s safey cable, I know, I know!

JohnnyB
02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Standard practice:

Unloading at the ramp:

1) Back boat into water up to fenders.
2) lean over bow, undo boat buddy, unhook winch strap
3) Start engine, back off trailer

Loading at ramp:

1) Drive on until boat buddy clicks
2) shutdown engine
3) attach and tighten winch strap
4) pull boat/trailer out of water

At all times when trailering, I use the winch strap and boat buddy. I have considered adding a safety cable, but don't see the need with the other two in place.

Yellow X9
02-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Boat buddy and winch strap for me, unless i'm towing the boat long distance, then i'll use the transom tie downs

Doug G
02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
I use the winch strap as the main front tie down with no load on the boat buddy. I am counting on the boat buddy and the rear straps holding the boat on the trailer if the winch strap fails.

Leroy
02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I do not use the BB pin anymore once I have pulled out of the water. If the boat moves around it will bend the pin.

I only use the strap now.

Doug G
02-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I do not use the BB pin anymore once I have pulled out of the water. If the boat moves around it will bend the pin.

I only use the strap now.

Do you have a safety chain? Isn't a bent pin cheaper than a boat on the road?

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
My question to is this...Are you willing to sacrafice your boat down the freeway just because you didnt strap it down.

russlars
02-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Other than bending, has anyone ever seen a "Boat Buddy" actually fail? As in failure to keep the bow fastened down. For those of you who have had bent pins, do you just use it for loading and then put on your winch strap? It seems like that would defeat the purpose of the "quick load and go" routine.:confused:

east tx skier
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I don't have a boat buddy. They have been known to bend if left engaged. I have a hefty backup chain that I always use in addition to the winch strap when on the road.

6ballsisall
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I used Boat Buddy all the time to get me on the trailer and off the ramp. I'd pull in the parking lot and hook up the winch and tighten it up, then release the boat buddy. On trips outside of the neighborhood straps went on the transom.

Ric
02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
you trust your "Boat Buddy" as your only tie down for the bow while trailering? In a word............. No.

markfromtexas
02-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Just like Jrandol, i use only the bb when loading, but when I launch I just use the wench, mostly because when the boat is floating and putting pressure on the BB pin, it can be a B*#$h to get unhooked.

When traveling, I use the front wench and tie downs, but disengage the BB b/c I've heard that the bumping around and weight on the BB can deform the pin, and since the plastic for the BB is $50 alone, I don't want to know how much any of the mechanical parts are going to run...

Prostar Rich
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Just like Jrandol, i use only the bb when loading, but when I launch I just use the wench, mostly because when the boat is floating and putting pressure on the BB pin, it can be a B*#$h to get unhooked.

When traveling, I use the front wench and tie downs, but disengage the BB b/c I've heard that the bumping around and weight on the BB can deform the pin, and since the plastic for the BB is $50 alone, I don't want to know how much any of the mechanical parts are going to run...

I am not a big fan of the BB. Honestly it would work great if I owned an aluminum fishing boat instead on an MC. I prefer to disengage the BB when putting the boat in the water and let it float off. Same thing for putting it back on the trailer. I float the boat up to where I can hook up the winch and winch it up. A lot less chance of damge. When towing I leave the BB pin engaged with the winch strap attached. I have seen MC boats damaged by using the drive on method. Mine is a 90' trailer which the design was less than superb.

Prostar Rich

markfromtexas
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah Rich,
you're right, the all speed ahead charge on method is better suited for a trot line boat rather than a $30k+ MC for sure.

I've always been a bit leery of dipping the boat in while unloading without a strap keeping the boat on the trailer, it's never happened (knocks on wood) but the thought of the boat drifting off and into a busy loading area without engine power, is something I don't want to have to deal with.