PDA

View Full Version : Boat on Trailer storage

BrandonKTM
02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
We are looking at providing winter boat storage in an empty warehouse we have an option on. That got me thinking. Is there such a thing as summer storage for boats on trailers so people don't have to trailer their boats to the lake? We are at the lake, and maybe people would prefer to keep them at our place rather than trailer them home 50 or miles and fill their driveway. If so, what do they charge? Do they rent by the week,month, summer?

6ballsisall
02-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Ask Mag Red, he keeps his boat (his MC) a few minutes away from Lake Cumberland vs. hauling it down the 2 1/2 hour drive from his house.
Don't quote me on it, but I want t say for around Cumberland you're looking at around $750 per year for storage.

Jerseydave
02-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Around here they charge $100-$150/month for outdoor storage for boats (18-24ft) I would think at least that or more for indoor during the summer. Don't forget about RV's, snowmobiles, motorcycles, classic cars, etc.

KBryant2007
02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
In Arkansas it's much less. This new spot very close to Greers Ferry in Arkansas just opened. It's about $60 / month.

http://www.edenislestorage.com/

erkoehler
02-16-2008, 10:53 AM
$26 per foot for indoor storage here. $13 outdoor.

ttu
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
in oklahoma, i keep my boat less than a mile from the loading ramp in a indoor storage. 35 ft deep with 12 foot high door. thus tower get's to stay up:D

100.00 per month.

stuartmcnair
02-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Be careful with this. Remember that you have to have a system for providing access to owners only. Who puts the boat in and gets it out? What happens when (not if) one of the other boats gets hit, fire, flood, roof collapse? Way too much headache for me...

KBryant2007
02-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Good point. The place I mentioned is secure with gates, fences, etc., and has a code entry for access. Your boat insurance should cover any concern over fire, flood, etc. I keep my boat in a covered stall at the marina over the summer, and dry storage in my brother's barn in the winter months. I pay $1400/annually for the 12x30 covered stall at the marina. It definitely makes it much easier, and I tend to use the boat much more.

ttu
02-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Be careful with this. Remember that you have to have a system for providing access to owners only. Who puts the boat in and gets it out? What happens when (not if) one of the other boats gets hit, fire, flood, roof collapse? Way too much headache for me...

good points. the place i am at has fence all around the property, security camera's in place, owner lives right next to and there is a fire wall between every three units. also each unit is enclosed.

Patrick Hardy
02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
In the greater Seattle area it is from $9 to $ 20 dollars per boat foot. Recently there has been a large amount of warehouses turning to this market. More and more housing developments are outlawing the storage of your toys on your own property. It is a emerging business opportunity. The price difference per foot is due to the location, heated or not, security levels, etc. IMHO it is potentially good business opportunity.

Covi
02-16-2008, 09:15 PM
BrandonKTM, Here you go this guy has this gig going on my lake I think this will intrest you. What a deal for people who can't afford a million dollar lake house!

http://www.sunapeebv.com/Home.html

Mag_Red
02-17-2008, 12:55 AM
I rent a 12x30' storage for $500 a year, near Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. Actually it's 1/4 mile from the marina.........very convenient. Concrete floor, security gate on a keypad. I don't want to leave the boat in the water all Summer behind the house boat. As I usually go to the lake every week-end, a 2.5 hour drive, the decision was a no brainer. I save a tank of gas every week-end. So in two months the storage pays for itself.:)

BrandonKTM
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. We were thinking of what Mag Red uses. Just a secure place to keep your boat on your trailer. You show up when you want, hitch up yourself, go to the ramp, put in, enjoy, and drop it back off before you drive a couple of hours home. No hassles with the long trailering, save gas, and no mowing around your boat in the yard! How do they ensure you pay? With a storage unit they just put a lock on the door and they remove it when you get current with your bill. I suppose you could put a "parking boot" on the trailer. Any info on what is out there would be appreciated.

Mag_Red
02-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. We were thinking of what Mag Red uses. Just a secure place to keep your boat on your trailer. You show up when you want, hitch up yourself, go to the ramp, put in, enjoy, and drop it back off before you drive a couple of hours home. No hassles with the long trailering, save gas, and no mowing around your boat in the yard! How do they ensure you pay? With a storage unit they just put a lock on the door and they remove it when you get current with your bill. I suppose you could put a "parking boot" on the trailer. Any info on what is out there would be appreciated.Mine is a yearly rental. Most places put a lock on the door if you are behind......after a point in time.....they auction your stuff off to cover the back rental. You would have to check the laws in your area.

ShamrockIV
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
we have indoor self storage for boats like 5 min from the lake. my buddy keeps his new x14 there. he pays like 100 or so a month. good way to keep ur boat nice and not trailering it along way!!!!!