PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X2 Fly High Ballast Install

1boarder
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
If anyone is interested, here is my fly high ballast install on my 2008 X2. This will add 1600 pounds in addition to the factory system.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/546144.html?1203125367

The biggest issue now is my timers. One allows me to go up to 20 minutes and the other two only to 6 minutes. Wierd, I know. Anyone have any suggestions on my timer issue. I heard fly high makes a timer upgrade. Does it tie into my current system and how much does it cost?

ttu
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
i was just talking with a friend today about this. i was looking at adding just the two back sacs and run pop products upfront.

thanks for the info.

Roonie's
02-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the link. I am also going to run just two sacks in rear storage plumbed into existing. Then get a big portable sack to put on side for surfing with hand held pump. Thanks for the install.

teamstreng
02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Looks like we are at a similar crossroads. Here are three threads, 2 started by me on this topic. As you can see very few responses with a solution.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20782&page=3

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=4943&forum=3&category=2

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=74197

If you figure it out please let us know! Good Luck!

c640947
02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
my comment on wakeworld:
I installed the fly high in my 2006 x2 before they had a full kit. Essentially the same system as above.

What exactly are the knobs you drilled through the gelcoat to install? On/off valves so the system can be set to fill factory online? I did that, but essentially put them near the bags (different hardware), fully hidden. It is so rare I ever need that feature, I am surprised Fly High suggests drilling and putting them in plain view. If I was to purchase this kit, I would probably use my own shut off valves (if that is indeed what they are.) Or do they have something to do with the stupid MC timed ballast?

Side note - Mastercraft - timed ballast is great for 75% of the non-observant, non-extra-ballasting-installing MC owners out there, but please for the rest of us make it easy to disable that crap!
----------------

making sure someone at MC hopefully sees continued complaints by enthusiasts about the stupid timed ballast

1boarder
02-17-2008, 08:25 AM
The vavles are 3 way valves that allow you to fill the hard tanks, then switch to the fly high bags. I wanted them up front so I don't need to dig under a bunch of stuff to change the vavle.

I am definately not happy with the ballast timers. Even hard wiring them will be a challenge on how they have them set up. I am currently leaning to finding a way to kill power to the "smart timers", which hopefully will reset the timers and allow me to fill again. Hard wiring will need 6 relays and I will have to make a harness to reverse the pumps (or pull all new wire). I bough the boat with the fact that the 2008 timers would go to 20 minutes. Needless to say, I haven't been happy this week over the subject. I plan on calling my dealer this week and talkiing about other options. Hopefully we can figure something out.

teamstreng
03-01-2008, 02:08 PM
1boarder,

Did you ever find a solution to the ballast timers?

1boarder
03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
no solution yet. I am getting very frustrated. I am looking at several options. First, order 20 minute jabsco timers and hope they work. Second, rewire larger wire through the switch to the pump (if the switch can handle the load), and last make my own relays where the timers are now. The problem with this is that it will take several relays for each pump (one dpdt and one spst).

Does anyone know how many amps the MC toggle switches are rated for or the name, manufacturer or model number?

teamstreng
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
1 Boarder -

I was finally able to get around the timers last night. If you are interested I can run you through it.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 02:27 PM
on this timer deal can you not just turn the pumps back on if the added bags are not full from the over flow?

teamstreng
03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Auburn,

No. The switch cannot be turned back on after the timers "time out". They may run for a second or two, but will not really produce anything.

wakeX2wake
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
ok that blows!!!... so if i plumb in my fat sacs off my ballast tanks then there's no way i can fill them from my factory pumps w/o going in and re-wiring my pumps?... that doesn't make sense... seems like all you would have to do is turn the key or flip the pumps switches on and off or something along those lines....

Diesel
03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know how many amps the MC toggle switches are rated for or the name, manufacturer or model number?

They should handle a single ballast puppy just fine. Before timers they were all wired directly to the switch.

1boarder
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Diesel, I know know that its not the same switch. They only have a single pole ( or is it single throw) anyway there is only a power wire with one signal wire each for empty and fill. The other had the hot and ground and could be wired in reverse depending on switch position. On my x1, I bought a switch and wired it up like you are talking about. Its not the same animal.

Temstreng, please enlighten me. My plan right now (and my dealers plan) is to do like C640947 stated and put in the 2006 relay system for the X2. I priced the relays looking at the scheme and the MC 2006 relay solution will be easier and probably cheaper. Let me know what you did so I can consider it.

Thanks

Diesel
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Diesel, I know know that its not the same switch. They only have a single pole ( or is it single throw) anyway there is only a power wire with one signal wire each for empty and fill. The other had the hot and ground and could be wired in reverse depending on switch position. On my x1, I bought a switch and wired it up like you are talking about. Its not the same animal.

Thanks

So MC does not have a DPDT toggle switch which can handle ~ 15amps? What about the nav light switch?

1boarder
03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Correct on the DPDT,I don't know about other types of switches, but I would need three and then have to buy the wire. Just got off the phone with the dealer and I have the jabsco 20 minute timers on the way and they will be a lot cheaper that buying switches and wire, or relays and changing the layout of the system.

I want the smart timer option, I just don't know if I trust a "smart" timer. I probably should go with the 2006 setup, but I will let you know if it bites me later.

teamstreng
03-14-2008, 06:55 PM
The fix to pas the timers is surprisingly simple, but a little time consuming (about 3 hours). Using the stock switches, you can remove the timing box on each pump and replace each box with 3 - 12V - 30 amp relays (5 prongs).

The cost of the 9 relays, wire and connectors is around $125.00 from autozone.

I have a diagram that I can't figure out how to post. I have it on my work computer and can email it through that account. If anyone wants to do this provides me an email address, I can provide the solution to unlimited run time.

teamstreng
03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
opps - 1boarder - I do not know how the 2006 system is set up. I may have reinvented the wheel. PM me your email and I will send you the diagram of what I did.

1boarder
03-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I think I have seen the diagram. One side of the switch goes to two relays that control the forward reverse and the other side breaks the circuit so it doesn't run all the time. Is that the concept?

teamstreng
03-14-2008, 10:01 PM
That is it.