PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Course Goals

h2oskifreak
02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I am curious what people are expecting (goals) for the upcoming season and what they are doing to get there. For myself; I have a P.B. of 1@35' off @ 34 M.P.H. (previous years best 2@32"). I would like to run 35' this year and get more consistant @ 32's. I am in the gym trying to fight for fitness @ 42 years of age. Also viewing videos of last years skiing and viewing Maple's instructional video. I need to be more "fluid" and less of a scrapper from looking at the videos of myself. I know 35' gets uglier, but still getting their should look better. Any other ideas other than ski schools, I can't see it happening this year for $ reasons?

BrianM
02-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I am in close to the same boat. Current PB is 2 @ 35 36mph. I can run about 95% of my 28s and about 30% of my 32s. My goal this season is to move that up a line length so run 95% of my 32s 30% of my 35s and get a piece of 38. Going to try and get to some pro for a couple of days this year. I am also going to try and ski with some more good skiers in my area.

shepherd
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm a few steps behind you guys. My current PB is 3 1/2 at 32 off (34 mph) and I had to fight my *** off to get that. It's actually a major victory for me to bust 6 at 28 off right now.

My "modest" goal for this year is to run a complete, honest 32 off pass and be more consistent on my 28 off passes. My "dream goal" is to do what Brian is doing now, but at 34 mph.

My plan for doing this is to lose some weight (5-10 lbs) and get more pro instruction. I'm heading to Ski Tek this weekend.

BrianM
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm heading to Ski Tek this weekend.
That ought to give you a very nice headstart on the season.

André
02-15-2008, 06:00 PM
At last,a skiing thread!:D
I'm at the same point as you.Ran 32 off @ 34 7 times starting mid august.Managed to ran 1.5at 35 but had to held on a ton of slack at 1.
I too started a bit of training on Christmas time.I bought a Concept 2 rowing machine and have been rowing at least 6 times a week,trying to avoid the pain in the first month of skiing.
Rowing is a very complete exercise and for any one who is a bit competitive,the computer displaying time and distance can be a good motivation.
I also watch some DVDs,Mapple,West coast and a couples of pro events that i have.
I got a D3 Nomad RC from 07,so my equipement upgrade this year may be Radar RS 1 boots.
And a vest...
And some gloves...
New rope...
New handle...
When does it end?:rolleyes:

All this hoping to run 35 too this year!

h2oskifreak
02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I admire those who ski 36 mph. I once heard it called the "killer spped" and I believe it. It was a pretty happy b-day, when I slowed to 34. I think 1 line length is pretty reasonable, depending on how many times a person gets out. I agree w/ Brian in trying to ski w/ people at higher levels. When I weight train, I usually try to work out w/ stronger guys and it helps me not be lazy.

André
02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm a few steps behind you guys. My current PB is 3 1/2 at 32 off (34 mph) and I had to fight my *** off to get that. It's actually a major victory for me to bust 6 at 28 off right now.

My "modest" goal for this year is to run a complete, honest 32 off pass and be more consistent on my 28 off passes. My "dream goal" is to do what Brian is doing now, but at 34 mph.

My plan for doing this is to lose some weight (5-10 lbs) and get more pro instruction. I'm heading to Ski Tek this weekend.
With Rossi?
Good luck and have fun!
Wish i could join you!
Man, i want to ski NOW!!!:(

BrianM
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I admire those who ski 36 mph. I once heard it called the "killer spped" and I believe it. It was a pretty happy b-day, when I slowed to 34.

I love 36mph. Technically this is my last year at 36 but I have no intention of slowing the boat down. I plan to ski 36mph at least in practice (which is pretty much all I do) until I physically can't do it and have to slow it down. Hopefully many many years from now.

learjet2230
02-15-2008, 06:07 PM
My goal is to find a course on my lake! Haven't skied one since college.

h2oskifreak
02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Brian, That will be good to keep it there for practice and then when you get to a tourney, it will seem like slow motion. I can't physically handle it anymore. I tried to practice there and it is too much for me. I just checked out your photos; nice '73 914 Porsche. I have a 73 Datsun 240 Z that I show, fun cars.

BrianM
02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
nice '73 914 Porsche..
Unfortunately I don't own it anymore. I loved that car. Not all that fast but handled like it was on rails and was just all around fun to drive. It was my only vehicle when I lived in Tucson. I think I only drove it with the top on twice in the almost 3 years I owned it.

h2oskifreak
02-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I had to sell a 73 240Z 20 years ago when I got into thr Real Estate business, so the one I have now is a "copy" of my old z. I have a Sl Benz too, so I know what you mean about having the top down "love it". Well I've got to go sell a house now, I will be excited to see what people have to say about improvement ideas as the thread progresses.

shepherd
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
With Rossi?
Good luck and have fun!
Wish i could join you!
Man, i want to ski NOW!!!:(

No, with Wade.

Have you guys read this thread? http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43
Interesting ideas.

JohnE
02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
No, with Wade.

Have you guys read this thread? http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43
Interesting ideas.

I read that last summer or fall. It is interesting. I'm jealous of your weekend. Have fun.

h2oskifreak
02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the link, it's new to me and some good stuff.

sunsational
02-16-2008, 09:19 AM
You guys are an encouragement! I just got back into skiing last year after a 20 year off season. My goal is to get 15' off at 36 mph. No problem as a younger lad, but age isn't nice. Can't wait to get on the water!

BrianM
02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
You guys are an encouragement! I just got back into skiing last year after a 20 year off season. My goal is to get 15' off at 36 mph. No problem as a younger lad, but age isn't nice. Can't wait to get on the water!

Great goal!

André
02-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Great goal!
You should be out Stargazing yourself!:D
Weather?:confused:

h2oskifreak
02-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Sunsationatial-How many years do you have on you? I also took almost 20 years away, you will be back sooner than you think. Shouldn't you be @34 MPH?

shepherd
02-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm jealous of your weekend. Have fun.

Well, I didn't get a confirmation email from Wade yet but we're heading down anyways for other reasons. Hoping I get to ski...

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I love 36mph. Technically this is my last year at 36 but I have no intention of slowing the boat down. I plan to ski 36mph at least in practice (which is pretty much all I do) until I physically can't do it and have to slow it down. Hopefully many many years from now.

Ya, that's what I used to think. I'll stay at 36 forever :D Until you get ready for a tournament and figure, what the heck, may as well go 34. Then you feel the ski going through butter and start thinking...mmmmm why am I breaking my balls at 36 when I don't have to.

I'm a heavy guy, 200lbs. At first I didn't like 34 because my timing was all messed up, but once you get used to 34... Can't stay young forever8p

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 11:03 AM

You're just like Brian!!! Fighting the age thing. Don't be crazy, max at 34. You'll have a lot more fun skiing the shorter rope.

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
At last,a skiing thread!:D

As soon as I saw the title of this thread and saw what it was about... I knew I'd find André here. I'll bet you have butterflies just reading this thread :D

mig
02-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm with Andre - a skiing thread! Sounds like there are quite a few addicts working on the 32/35 loops. I would love some input from experienced skiers on how the body reacts to skiing 36 vs. 34mph. I started skiing 34mph last summer. Once I got used to it I thought it was so much easier on the body than the 28/30 mph speeds I had been skiing. I made a few 35 off passes at 28 - 30mph in 2006 and they were a blast but required brutal pulls. For 2007 I moved to an EFI boat w/PP, a used Monza and double Phantom boots (first time no rtp) and 34mph only. Took a lot of skiing but got comfortable finally and love the upped rush of speed now. I had set the 34 -36mph jump for my summer goal but at age 53 a lot of joints already hurt - From your experience, do you think 36mph will just make things worse? Thanks.

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 12:42 PM
From your experience, do you think 36mph will just make things worse? Thanks.

Why make it hard on yourself ang go 36. Skiing shortline at 34 is too much fun.You go 36 only if you have to. To be honnest, difference on the body between 34 and 36 is nothing... until you do a face plant right after the second wake :D . The difference is on the way the ski rides on the water. As soon as you hit 35mph, the ski starts riding much higher on the water and doesn't allow for much error.

As soon as your edge change is not right, you'll find the bouys are coming very fast at 36mph. To learn to ski right at 36, you actually have to train in order to improve drastically. If you stay at 34, you only have to practice... see the difference? ;)

My suggestion is don't waste your time at 36 unless you've skied 36 your whole life.

h2oskifreak
02-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Mig, I agree w/ Benny. 36 is not where a 53 y/o belongs. I do believe it is harder on the bod and you should stay at 34. Skiing slow for short line training is o.k. but I would get to 34 mph, stay there and work on shortning the line. Especially so if you plan on sking any tournemenys. For what it's worth. Cheers

ski_king
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
My goal is simple. Get at least one set in per week from Early May to Mid September.

It would be nice to be able to make full passes at 32@15 off again. That is my secondary goal.

If I meet the first, I think the second will come naturally.

André
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
As soon as I saw the title of this thread and saw what it was about... I knew I'd find André here. I'll bet you have butterflies just reading this thread :D
You're skiing on harshells Benny?
Will you guys sell any Radar stuff this year?
Looking at the RS 1...:rolleyes:

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
You're skiing on harshells Benny?
Will you guys sell any Radar stuff this year?
Looking at the RS 1...:rolleyes:

Ya I'm using hard shell bindings. For comfort first, but the difference in performance is just as great. Comfort wise, I like my bindings real tight, so the rubber boot was always killing me, forcing me to do only short sets. Now I can just relax a bit more at each end of the course, and even wait a minute or two after the fourth pass. This allows me to go for an extra 2-3 passes. Also edge control is amazing.

We're not selling radar. Tried it when it came out. Very good ski, but I can't say it's any better than what's out there. Skied on a GOODE last year and it felt just like a Monza to me (spent last 8 years on HO). This year, it's either going to be the Nomad or Connelly. I'll try them both and see. I used to have a negative feeling about Connelly, but in the last few years they seem to have come a long way. + they have a few decent skiers skiing on their product :D for years, so I will assume the ski is all right.

mig
02-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Heck, the buoys are coming way fast at 34 and staying in a less-than-round shape is my highest "training" expectation! Thanks for the input.

sk8salomon
02-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd like to run 32 off @ 36 mph. last year i was so close, 3-1/2, 4-1/2, 5, but that's on a 5 year old HO Phantom. I'm going to try a new D3Nomad this spring and see if technology will be on my side. Last year was the 1st year I could honestly say I trust and feel comfortable with my offside.

h2oskifreak
02-16-2008, 10:34 PM
SKSLALOM- You are there. Not sure how many times you get on the water but you are within reach for sure and more than that you should be getting a few at 35'. Promise when you run your 32', you will shorten to 35' for another P.B! Then go back to 32 and practice, but do the 35' thing and you can say you skied "into 35". Sweeeet.

flipper
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm another one of those who wants to just get back on a course this year. 10 years ago, I could do 28' pretty much every time, but would probably be lucky to make it at all now. I hope to get 15' comfortable by the end of the summer. Got a baby coming in june, so may not have as much time as I want to work on it.

sk8salomon
02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
SKSLALOM- You are there. Not sure how many times you get on the water but you are within reach for sure and more than that you should be getting a few at 35'. Promise when you run your 32', you will shorten to 35' for another P.B! Then go back to 32 and practice, but do the 35' thing and you can say you skied "into 35". Sweeeet.

you're right, short term for this year would be 32 but long term, 35 is not that far away!

sunsational
02-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Sunsationatial-How many years do you have on you? I also took almost 20 years away, you will be back sooner than you think. Shouldn't you be @34 MPH?

41 this summer. :smile:

sunsational
02-17-2008, 09:32 AM
You're just like Brian!!! Fighting the age thing. Don't be crazy, max at 34. You'll have a lot more fun skiing the shorter rope.

Old school I guess. :D

h2oskifreak
02-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Sunsational-"Grasshopper say ski 34 and embrace it, you have earned it my son" Seriously there is a reaason 34 will be better for you as other have said. Any "rush" for the speed that 36 gave you will be replaced by the shorter line lenghts. I believe they will give you what you are looking for. Have a great and injury free summer.

Jesus_Freak
02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
My goal is simple. Get at least one set in per week from Early May to Mid September.

It would be nice to be able to make full passes at 32@15 off again. That is my secondary goal.

If I meet the first, I think the second will come naturally.

I have the same goals you do. I currently cannot make a full pass to save my ear.

Willski
02-17-2008, 05:40 PM
My main goal is just to get out a little more and stay healthy, maybe by doing the back exercises I should be doing!! My PB is a full pass at 28 off at 34 mph. I would like to just be able to consistently run my 15s and 22s with little effort and run more 28s. I find I ski so seldom, that some days it is a struggle to run 15s and other days, everything clicks.

Jesus_Freak
02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Why kind of back exercises?

André
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
C'mon skiers,keep this thread alive!!!:) :) :)
What's your goals and what will you try to improve this season?Thinking of new equipements?
Post links to good articles if you have some...

JohnE
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I want to ski the course at lesat twice a week and get 15 off regularly. Last year was my first time in the course. I went about 8-10 times. Didn't get to ski it after the middle of August for a number of reasons.

Covi
02-18-2008, 06:59 PM
I run 28' off 36 MPH just about every pass. I'd like to hone in my backward deep water starts this year. I major crash on my dirt bike kept me off the water and in the boat for the ladder part of the season. So this year I'm also going to try and be more consistant on my landings. LOL! Shoulder surgery will be March 7th this year. physical therapy should have me ready by ski season!

pq2
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Start skiing at 36MPH, 22off @ 36MPH will be my goal, maybe 28off

hacker
02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Maybe it was 5 yrs ago, not sure. I used to get into 32off (girl speed) almost every set in practice and just about once every tourney. The last 4 or 5 years I have been going backwards. Many little (some big) things have lead to my decline. My tourney PB is 2 @ 32 (many times), best I have done in practice is a full pass @ 32 (twice). One of those times I shortend and got 1 @ 35.
My goals this year will be to get back to a consistant 28 off pass, hopefully run some 32's in practice, and break my 8 year old tourney PB!

Benny Boy
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
PQ2, you ski on salt water or freshwater? ... in CANCUN? while some of us are freezing their buts... 8p

tex
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
My goal is to make it thru the season w/o a knee operation! I would like to hit the jump again, get my wake rolls on the sky ski back, and just enjoy being on the water for the 1st time in 2 years!

6ballsisall
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
My goal this year will be to get IN/TO a course period......:(

als2104
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Consistency at 32 off 36 mph, run 35 off at 36 more than the one time i did last yr and hopefully a PB midway thru -38 at 36 mph. :)
Also I would like to teach my wife to make the course after a year of free skiing, and more than anything, I want to get my 2 yr old son on skis for the first time. Cheers to a fun, healthy and successful 2008 on the water!!!!

#47of100TeamMC
02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Last year I ran 100% of my 15's. 75% of my 22's and stalled out somewhere in the 28' range never getting past 5. This off season I've been doing a lot of studying on West Coast. I'm pretty short by slalom standards(5'10") so hoping I can better myself technically. I get out on a public lake probably 3 times a week and get to throw the portable course in about once every other week if I'm lucky. My goal for this year is to tie Jamie for the men's slalom world record... Ok realistically, my goal is to get into 32' off. I'd also like to find some skier buddies that are better than me to ski with on a weekly basis.
My wife is working on our first child, due August 6th. so I figure I've got until then to get as much skiing in as possible.

ProTour X9
02-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll be honest, 4(its a 4 ball course)@15off 28-30mph
:o :o
hehe

uawaterskier
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
not a course goal...I trick.

Wakeflipback

wake 540

wake back-to-back reverse.

h2oskifreak
02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
One goal I have got to accomplish is getting my driver to make the course. He is self employed, like myself so I've got to keep him fired up and coming out during the day when others can't. He is close, but is a big boy at 6'2 and 255. Not exactly a skiers build. He does have the passion however. I am worried if he doesn't make it soon motovation will be an issue. Go BIG MARCO! Made 4 w/o gates @ 15' 32 MPH last year. It's hard to coach when I am driving him. Video when we can.

C36
02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Equipment goals
help reserect the course from the bottom of our lake (spoke to the owner of the course at the end of last summer and it looks promising)
install speed control system on our boat - considering PP StarGazer

Operational goals
get out to local slalom club here a few times in early summer
take a few more lessons

Course Goal
6 balls, 15 off @ 32 mph

Dream Goal
attend waterski camp for 1 week and hit my course goal prior to summer even beginning! :D

Benny Boy
02-20-2008, 07:13 PM
One goal I have got to accomplish is getting my driver to make the course. He is self employed, like myself so I've got to keep him fired up and coming out during the day when others can't. He is close, but is a big boy at 6'2 and 255. Not exactly a skiers build. He does have the passion however. I am worried if he doesn't make it soon motovation will be an issue. Go BIG MARCO! Made 4 w/o gates @ 15' 32 MPH last year. It's hard to coach when I am driving him. Video when we can.

What kind of ski and what size does your friend have?

h2oskifreak
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
What kind of ski and what size does your friend have?

He was on a "spoon", one of those skis with a wider front, went to a ski I can't remember with a protruding ridge instead of a tunnel. Late last year he got large H.O. System 8, 72 I think. I know it will help him I can see it starting.

Benny Boy
02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I didn't know they made the Syst 8 in 72'', but that sounds good for that size of a skier. If ever he gets the chance to try a Triumph 70'', that would probably be the ideal, but if he just got a new ski, he may not wanna change. Good luck with your season.

wakesport
02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
My goal is to ski every day from June 14 - Sept 1. I have been working out most days at the gym to try to stay in shape. I would also like to get through the course. I got a chance to ski for a week this winter. And see what 39.5 off looks like up close. Check the video.

http://wakesportadventures.com/thomas%204.wmv

lanier92prostar
02-20-2008, 09:13 PM
My goal is to ski every day from June 14 - Sept 1. I have been working out most days at the gym to try to stay in shape. I would also like to get through the course. I got a chance to ski for a week this winter. And see what 39.5 off looks like up close. Check the video.

I would love to ski every day. If I am lucky, we get out twice a week. My goal is to get on a course again. About 8 years away from the skiing, playing around on the wakeboard, just started back last summer. At one time a long time ago, I was able to get 4 @28 off. Would like to work my back to that.

h2oskifreak
02-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I didn't know they made the Syst 8 in 72'', but that sounds good for that size of a skier. If ever he gets the chance to try a Triumph 70'', that would probably be the ideal, but if he just got a new ski, he may not wanna change. Good luck with your season.

It may be a 70, I don't know. All I know is it looks huge next to my 66' Monza. We both have Animal boots. I like em but from what I have been reading, it sounds like they don't last that long. I think the ski is over his head, but I guess like H.P., it always better to have too much than too little. Our lake owner has a triumph, he tried it and didn't like it. I am not sure why, I can't remember yesterday.

sk8salomon
02-20-2008, 09:22 PM
. I got a chance to ski for a week this winter. And see what 39.5 off looks like up close. Check the video.

damn bro, you're killin' that 2-4-6 side. nice pass! did i see a slight handle dunk there?;)

TX.X-30 fan
02-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Just moved and the course is close, I want to get back to the mid 70's when I played seriously. From what I have seen the "course" seems to be fairly tame, I would be surprised if I'm not in the low 70's by mid-summer.

wakesport
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
damn bro, you're killin' that 2-4-6 side. nice pass! did i see a slight handle dunk there?;)

It is a nice pass but it's not me. I wish. That's Thomas Degasperi. I was holding the camera.

sk8salomon
02-21-2008, 07:24 AM
It is a nice pass but it's not me. I wish. That's Thomas Degasperi. I was holding the camera.

oh, he's become well known here in the states for the past year! great skier.

Benny Boy
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
My 2008 goal is that I hope to ski more than 4-5 sets this summer.:mad:

ShamrockIV
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
my goal is to attempt to wear my new f1x out!!!! and improve a ton!!!!

C36
09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Equipment goals
help reserect the course from the bottom of our lake (spoke to the owner of the course at the end of last summer and it looks promising)
install speed control system on our boat - considering PP StarGazer

Operational goals
get out to local slalom club here a few times in early summer
take a few more lessons

Course Goal
6 balls, 15 off @ 32 mph

Dream Goal
attend waterski camp for 1 week and hit my course goal prior to summer even beginning! :D

Time to report back as our boat is now "winterized"

Equipment goals :)
help reserect the course from the bottom of our lake CHECK
install speed control system on our boat - PP StarGazer Wakeboard Edition CHECK

Operational goals :)
get out to local slalom club here a few times in early summer CHECK
take a few more lessons CHECK

Course Goal :o
6 balls, 15 off @ 32 mph NOPE, PB = 2 balls, 15 off @ 30 mph (too many bad habits to overcome in one season I guess - but I'm working on it)

ProStar Slalom
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
C36, still plenty of ski season left down South; come on down. Good work on your goals list. Skied my PB this season; 2 @ 32 off...but the season isn't over...!

h2oskifreak
09-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, I started this thread and I have to admit I had great intentions of running my 35' off when I wrote it. A bad fall June 21 changed things a bit. I skied (the course) today for the first time since the fall and ran everthing I skied even 3 32' off passes but can't get the courage to get into 35' off with my ankle being about 80%. Couldn't believe how the timing was still there and I hope I get 3-4 at 35 before water turns cold, but it is getting cold at night here in Colorado and I'm feeling the crunch.
Let's start a thread and see who made realistic goals, and who did or didn't make theirs. Not ready for that quite yet though.