PDA

View Full Version : Diving In Cozumel

corey
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
My wife and I just booked a trip to Cozumel and we are planning on going diving for a couple of days. We are both certified but have never been to Cozumel. Anyone have any recomendations for dive shops, locations or boats down there?

stuartmcnair
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
you should be able to get any information from ither your hotel or gt a recommendation from your local dive shop. I went there a while back but I can't remember the name of the place. Boats down there are generally all junkers but the divemasters are really good.

Sodar
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
As I am sure you already know, the diving down there is exquisite!

We did all our dives off of a "ponga" and would just come back to relax and then go back out. We stayed at the Hotel El Presidente.

Only problem with diving down there, is that you never wanna dive anywhere else!

BrianM
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Diving in Cozumel is great. The fast drift dives are like flying through the water. No need to swim just let the current take you. It freaked my wife out a bit the first couple of dives. www.scubaboard.com (http://www.scubaboard.com) is a very active diving site with lots of greatinfo from people about experiences with operators. Go check them out. Lots of bigger 'cattle' boats there. I would reccomend going with a smaller operator that goes out with smaller groups.

Only problem with diving down there, is that you never wanna dive anywhere else!
Cozumel is great but I actually prefer Belize. Especially out on the atols.

Roonie's
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Too bad you couldn't take one of the center consoles down with you. You may want a bigger boat however. Have fun!

bigmac
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
My wife and I just booked a trip to Cozumel and we are planning on going diving for a couple of days. We are both certified but have never been to Cozumel. Anyone have any recomendations for dive shops, locations or boats down there?

When there, I always dive with Chino's dive shop. Chino is a great guy, very safe, has good equipment and fast boats. I usually stay on the south end of the island, (Fiesta Americana or el Presidente) and Chino picks us up at the dock, 10 minutes then by boat to the dive sites. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Chino's Scuba Shop
Address Rosado Salas # 16-5 at Melgar, Cozumel Tel+52-987-872-4487
Comment PADI approved diving resort center with scuba or snorkeling tours, service and instruction.

corey
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Thats what I've heard!!! I'm guessing we really can't go wrong, but if anyone had an awesome dive master I'd love to know.

My wife and I were diving in Hawaii and saw someone in a different group run OUT of air. His own dive master had no idea, our dive master took control and saved the day. When I'm under water thats the kind of guy I want to be with.

corey
02-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Mac!! This is exactly what I am looking for, we are staying a little farther up the island but I speak enough broken spanish that I can usually get around pretty easily.

Sodar
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Diving in Cozumel is great. The fast drift dives are like flying through the water. No need to swim just let the current take you. It freaked my wife out a bit the first couple of dives.

That was my favorite part about it! Made it a little scary when you would try to stop to check something out!

I saw the biggest lobster I have EVER seen in real life down there. I sweat that the thing was 5' long with a 2' long tail!

Cozumel is great but I actually prefer Belize. Especially out on the atols.

I have never been to Belize... I have heard very good things about it. I was speaking mostly about diving locally. I used to dive off Catalina alot with our center console and I just cannot bring myself to do any of it any longer! The resort style diving with the warm water makes it hard to do your own diving in cold water!!

BrianM
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I was speaking mostly about diving locally. I used to dive off Catalina alot with our center console and I just cannot bring myself to do any of it any longer! The resort style diving with the warm water makes it hard to do your own diving in cold water!!

No cold water diving for me. I am spoiled with the warm waters off of Pensacola and the Carribean

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
If you see any sharks let me know.

No Skeez
02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Busy day in MN Corey?:D

BrianM
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
If you see any sharks let me know.

We saw quite a few black tipped reef sharks in Cozumel. Good stuff.

erkoehler
02-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Busy day in MN Corey?:D
Busy day in Madison? Ready for the snow on Sunday? Time to set the new record!

No Skeez
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Busy day in Madison? Ready for the snow on Sunday? Time to set the new record!

Already passed the record by 3 inches this past week! I love snow, don't get me wrong... But enough's enough!

On the plus side, we won't have to worry about low lake levels!

corey
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Saw some grey tipped reef sharks in Hawaii.

Oh yeah, 8 degrees in MN today, people are flying in the shop. What about you guys, heard you got a bunch of snow?

No Skeez
02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
13 degrees, and **knock on wood** no snow today! That's a first! Last Wednesday we got 14 inches. We're averaging over 2 inches per day in February so far, and now we're expecting another 10 - 12 Sunday... On the plus side, we ran a boat in the shop the other day... I can still smell the exhaust! It's about the only thing keeping us sane!

Never2old
02-16-2008, 09:40 PM
The group I dive with is Dive House. They do a great job and keep track of everyone. I've dove with this company for the past 12 years and have never had a problem. Here's the contact dive@divehouse.com you might want to consider them. Enjoy the water it's great!!

corey
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice, I wish their website was up because it's -12 degrees here today and I need some pics to keep me warm during this cold snap.

CarlosCabanas
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I've been spoiled as I've learned to dive here in Belize!! Anyone for a shark hat!! (not me by the way....) The nurse sharks here are very docile....

MYMC
02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
The nurse sharks here are very docile....
Roy Horn used to say something similar...

MYMC
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
One of the wildest dives I have ever done: http://www.hiddenworlds.com/cenotescuba.aspx

If you have time I highly reccomend it.

CarlosCabanas
02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I wonder what the crocodile hunter would say about the sting rays!! I must admit I have pet a shark here.:cool: :o :D

corey
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
With any luck we'll be in Belize next year, my father in law goes down every year but I've never made it yet. Actually it was on our short list for this year but as always we were on a budget and Cozumel had some great deals.

SkiEngr
02-19-2008, 11:57 PM
You can't beat drift diving in Cozumel. We stayed at Iberostar a few years back (before the hurricanes) and just did our dives out of their shop. It was our first dive in salt water and it was a great experience. Not really sure you can pick a bad spot in Cozumel.