PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 2005 Sky Ski

michael freeman
02-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I found a used 2005 Sky Ski Pro ST 2 piece that looks brand new and at a decent price. Oh and no postage because it is for sale in my area.

I'm a big guy and will probably spend a lot of time in the water behind the boat attempting to actually get up on the thing. I was wondering if I could tell the difference between the 2005 model vs a new 2008 version or 2008 Sky Ski B39, etc. Money isn't a big issue if I can feel a difference in the '08 version. The 2005 one is $1500 with Cinch straps, shock upgrade, anodized and tuned.

FYI, I tore an arm muscle trying to get up on a wake board last year, and need something that will allow me to play behind my boat while I get into better shape (i.e., drop weight and build arm strength to wakeboard.)

All advice appreciated.

SkiDog
02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
You should send a PM to airjunky! He's THE man!

Jerseydave
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Try here for good advise on Skyskis

www.foilfreaks.com

When wakeboarding, try a large board (143-144) if you're a big guy. If you can learn on the boom first, it really helps. Getting up on a wakeboard should be easier than skis (WAY easier than a slalom)

Diesel
02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh man the Skyski's are great but certainly not easier than wakeboarding. How big are you? We had a guy in our group last summer that was 300+ and he could not get up on the SkySki.....too much drag through the water and he could not pull through it. I would have loved to see him get up though....oh the sight! :D

michael freeman
02-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm not much lighter but am working on that. If a Foil is more drag, then I will hold off on the purchase.

I'm using a 141 CWB wakeboard presently and I'm at my strength limit to get up. I have no experience wakeboarding so I tend to fall fairly quick so getting back up a 2nd, 3rd, etc., time wears me out pretty quick.

I will see if I can find a bigger board, so I can play more and drive less. ;)

cbryan70
02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
if you are close to 300 i would def say go with a bigger board. im 230 and have a 140 and i dont think that it is big enoughfor me but i can still mess around on it

bigmac
02-16-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm not much lighter but am working on that. If a Foil is more drag, then I will hold off on the purchase.

I'm using a 141 CWB wakeboard presently and I'm at my strength limit to get up. I have no experience wakeboarding so I tend to fall fairly quick so getting back up a 2nd, 3rd, etc., time wears me out pretty quick.

I will see if I can find a bigger board, so I can play more and drive less. ;)

A hydrofoil is miniscule in the drag department, compared to a wakeboard or ski. Once up, there is no drag at all. The learning curve for hydrofoiling is steep, but short. Learning to get up is the hardest part (until you start trying to do inverts). I predict that if you buy a hydrofoil (that SkySki Pro sounds like a good choice) and get some help learning to ride it, you'll never bother to pull out your wakeboard again.

tex
02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Call Lonnie he will answer all your questions! Great guy!

http://www.cinchmax.com/