PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier's Shame

kycat2007
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I think Kelvin is going to be in a bit more trouble than original thought.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7792676/Sampson's-blatant-disregard-for-rules-may-cost-him

http://beyondthearc.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/02/13/662523.aspx

Sounds like Sampson lied about the whole allegations and now has major issues involved and he may be out as coach.

lanier92prostar
02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
The baggage referred to in the article was public knowledge before Sampson was hired at IU. I was surprised that a program with IU's reputation hired him in the first place. Bobby Knight had his moments, but he was never accused for any wrongdoings and ran a clean program everywhere he went. With the talent IU can get, they don't need a coach that bends the rules and brings a negative image to the school and program.

Leroy
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
But, as long as he is winning this will not go anywhere.....

kycat2007
02-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I think he lied about some stuff to IU as well and then blatenly did the same stuff again. Maybe Bobby will come back lol.

JBaker
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I was at their game tonight. Sampson got a pretty decent booing when they announced him. Wonder if the "honk to fire Mike Davis" sign will re-appear with his name. Unfortunately IU will be allowed to participate in this years post-season unless they self impose a ban as their not going to be dealt with by the NCAA until June. Well, as ESPN's Pat Forde put it, they have three options:

Fire Sampson

A pre-emptive post season ban

Do nothing and fight the power

I hope they don't choose number 3.

JBaker
02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
The baggage referred to in the article was public knowledge before Sampson was hired at IU. I was surprised that a program with IU's reputation hired him in the first place. Bobby Knight had his moments, but he was never accused for any wrongdoings and ran a clean program everywhere he went. With the talent IU can get, they don't need a coach that bends the rules and brings a negative image to the school and program.

You're kidding right?

TMCNo1
02-14-2008, 06:46 AM
The thread title scared me, I thought Hoosier Bob had been arrested for buying a 40 oz. Colt 45!:firejump:

lanier92prostar
02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
You're kidding right?
As far a cheating is concerned, I don't recall any wrongdoings. Temper wise, plenty of wrongdoings, that is what got him fired and he should have.

Slinkyredfoot
02-14-2008, 07:33 AM

Sorry to disagree Leroy, but I think Sampson and Greenspan will be run out of town on a rail.....but who really cares, ever watch the Purdue basketball team play?

ShamrockIV
02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
He needs to br fired. Lie to the NCAA all u want, but lie to ur boss and u are screwed!!!!

Maristar210
02-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Anyone remember seeing Bob Knight have this happen to him?

Me niether.

Fire his lying as I say.

chudson
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Your not gonna get any positive votes from Illinois on him!!!

mattsn
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
IU knows they should dump Sampson, but they are still trying to hang on to what they think will be a winning season. When IU loses to MSU and to PU next Tues, he will be gone by Wed.

mattsn
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Pres. Herbert's Opening Statement on Sampson

(March 29, 2006)

I strongly believe that our new coach is the right man to maintain and build upon IU's long and storied traditions. IU basketball is an elite program that plays by the rules and graduates its student-athletes. There is no question that wins and losses are very important to the Hoosier family. Equally important to us are very high academic expectations and the core character values of the University.

In that regard, Trustees Steve Ferguson and Jeff Cohen have joined with me in conducting an extensive analysis of the background of the coach we will introduce today. We have reviewed thoroughly the available information on all aspects of his career. We have looked at the recent NCAA investigation of the basketball program at Oklahoma University. We have interviewed the parties that are most knowledgeable about that case to better understand the issues and place the situation into the proper context. We have examined the graduation rates of Oklahoma University's basketball program. We have discussed with the coach his teaching philosophy, his academic expectations of student-athletes, and the organizational structure and support strategies that he has implemented to assure their academic success.

After reviewing all of this information and considering the totality of his high levels of performance over an entire professional career, and after engaging in several hours of candid and thorough conversations with him, we are convinced that our new coach understands fully and is determined to meet Indiana University's high overall expectations.

High expectations met????

kycat2007
02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
If you look at all the calls to players, I think all were to mostly already committed players. Being above the law is what I think Sampson thinks he is. Three ways calls and not knowing? It is about time they bring one of their own home to stabilize the program. Maybe this is what Alford needs to come back. I cant believe nothing will happen and if it doesn't it will lower my opinion of the university.

Slinkyredfoot
02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
From all of the talk on the local sports stations here in Indy, look for Sampson to be fired by tomorrow....

Leroy
02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I never have.....but I know they are 1 of the 4 Indiana teams in the top 20 now.

Sorry to disagree Leroy, but I think Sampson and Greenspan will be run out of town on a rail.....but who really cares, ever watch the Purdue basketball team play?

Smitty
02-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Speaking from the back yard of the epicenter of controversy, the writing was on the wall several months ago when Dan Dakich was hired as an assistant. This was a strategic move by the athletic department to help hold the program in place when and if the problem would result in having to replace Sampson. It now appears that the inevitable is upon Sampson and that the transition will probably happen sooner than later. I had confirmed reports as of last Thursday that Sampson was still contacting acquaintances of recruits at an alarming rate. This is of no surprise that IU has put itself in such a position as to compromise the integrity of the University. You need to blame the AD, President, and Trustees for the decision to hire a coach that already was under investigation and had a reputation of questionable behavior. The thing that makes me mad is that they will spend millions of dollars hiring a coach that has a damaged record and only decide to withhold a bonus when he again violates NCAA policy. That bonus is worth more than what they hired our football coach, Bill Lynch, for. A man that has a clear reputation and outstanding integrity was almost passed up by the current administration in concern that he wasn't right for the position. Having played football at IU, I do have a bit of a bias for the program, but the University has sent a wrong message to its fans, players, and students when it has knowingly compromised value and intergrity for winning.

kycat2007
02-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Dickie V says he thinks that Kelvin is going to be gone.

JBaker
02-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Looks like we will get to see this theory play out after that monster win last night. They absolutely man-handled the Spartans.

I personally think he's canned in spite of that great win, but time will tell.

JBaker
02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
IU knows they should dump Sampson, but they are still trying to hang on to what they think will be a winning season. When IU loses to MSU and to PU next Tues, he will be gone by Wed.

It looks like the Hoosiers had other plans. Very, very impressive week for the team and I am increasingly curious to see the outcome of this week's investigation.

Leroy
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Winning and getting fired do not go together as long as Sampson expresses remorse/didn't mean it publicly. The victory against Purdue last night was golden for Sampson. IU played a great game, as did Purdue.

Look at the antics of Knight and he stayed around forever.

Looks like we will get to see this theory play out after that monster win last night. They absolutely man-handled the Spartans.

I personally think he's canned in spite of that great win, but time will tell.

ttu
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
just heard here in oklahoma on a local sports talk radio show that he has been fired and will be announced tomorrow. they said their source was fox news.

i could not stand him when he was at ou. but then again i have always been a osu fan.:D

chudson
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3257218

Sampson's future remains in limbo at Indiana
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: February 21, 2008, 5:35 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Kelvin Sampson's fate as Indiana men's basketball coach remained unsettled Thursday as a university official dismissed a report claiming Sampson has been fired.

The official said Thursday afternoon that athletic director Rick Greenspan has not met with Indiana president Michael McRobbie and, to the best of his knowledge, Sampson's job status hasn't been determined. Two options are being considered for resolving Sampson's status, the official said:

Indiana could suspend Sampson without pay, in which case, according to Sampson's contract, the coach would have 10 days to appeal.

Indiana could allow Sampson to continue coaching the 22-4 Hoosiers throughout the 90 days the NCAA granted the school in its notice of allegations and just hope for the best.

University trustee Philip Eskew Jr. told The Associated Press he had been notified by e-mail that Indiana would have an announcement on Sampson's status Friday but did not have details.

As of Thursday afternoon, the official was not aware of a buyout of Sampson's contract being discussed. The Hoosiers are scheduled to depart Saturday morning for Evanston, Ill., for a game that night against Northwestern.

Sampson was in his office watching tape in preparation for the game, the official said. The Hoosiers did not practice for a second straight day but are scheduled to work out Friday afternoon.

"The thing that impressed me the most about Northwestern is how they continue to fight," Sampson said in a statement Thursday released by the university. "If you look at their last two games, against Purdue, in the last 10 minutes they had every opportunity to win."

A school investigation last year revealed Sampson and his assistants made more than 100 impermissible calls. That occurred while Sampson was on NCAA probation for making 577 improper phone calls between 2000 and 2004 while coaching Oklahoma.

An NCAA report Feb. 13 accused Sampson of providing false and misleading information to university and NCAA investigators, failing to promote a high standard of honesty in the program and not promoting an atmosphere of compliance.

Sampson said then that he never intentionally provided false or misleading information to NCAA investigators.

Andy Katz is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was included in this report.

Hoosier Bob
02-21-2008, 07:23 PM
IU is in the top 20!:D

kycat2007
02-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Conflicting reports on if he is fired or not. Hard to get rid of a coach that may take you to the final four even though he is a cheat.;)

Leroy
02-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Great insight Smitty and he is gone.

I did not think it would happen. Their football program was golden this last year!

Speaking from the back yard of the epicenter of controversy, the writing was on the wall several months ago when Dan Dakich was hired as an assistant. This was a strategic move by the athletic department to help hold the program in place when and if the problem would result in having to replace Sampson. It now appears that the inevitable is upon Sampson and that the transition will probably happen sooner than later. I had confirmed reports as of last Thursday that Sampson was still contacting acquaintances of recruits at an alarming rate. This is of no surprise that IU has put itself in such a position as to compromise the integrity of the University. You need to blame the AD, President, and Trustees for the decision to hire a coach that already was under investigation and had a reputation of questionable behavior. The thing that makes me mad is that they will spend millions of dollars hiring a coach that has a damaged record and only decide to withhold a bonus when he again violates NCAA policy. That bonus is worth more than what they hired our football coach, Bill Lynch, for. A man that has a clear reputation and outstanding integrity was almost passed up by the current administration in concern that he wasn't right for the position. Having played football at IU, I do have a bit of a bias for the program, but the University has sent a wrong message to its fans, players, and students when it has knowingly compromised value and intergrity for winning.

JBaker
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Conflicting reports on if he is fired or not. Hard to get rid of a coach that may take you to the final four even though he is a cheat.;)

:uglyhamme :purplaugh
The Big Ten is such a joke. They don't even have a single team in AP top 10; I doubt they send a team to the final four.

I think IU did the right thing. It would have sent a really poor message to the rest of the country if they kept him. If you piled this on top of Knight's antics, it would be like broadcasting "We only care about winning." And this isn't the pro's, so it's not all about winning.:twocents: