PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever been to Mayo Clinic?

suedv
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I got the word yesterday that I have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic in first week of May. I work really hard at not letting health issues keep me from having fun in life, but my problems get pretty frustrating. That appointment seems so far away from now, but it gives me something really hopeful to look forward to.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Mayo. It seems pretty big and overwhelming.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
sue. my dad went to Mayo's. its very big and overwhelming, but he and mom say its VERY organized, and VERY efficient. all the staff are excellent and they take their time with you, answer all your questions, answer your phone calls, and call back. just very professional and caring. good luck.

Willski
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Thankfully, I have not. I know a few people that have. They had nothing but good to say about the courtesy and professional care they recieved. Hope all goes well for you too Sue. First week of May does seem a bit away, but it seems they are pretty busy there. Good luck and keep up the great attitude.

6ballsisall
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Keep your chin up Sue, it'll all work out. ;)

puck_11
02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad health, but the Mayo clinic will take care of you! I know plenty of people who have been taken great care of there. Best of luck!

mig
02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Sue. I have dealt with a few health care professionals. I only have one strongly positive impression from dealing with medical facilities and personnel. Mayo / Rochester was not a disappointment. That was 20 years ago - hope you can say the same in May. Keep looking UP, Matt.

uawaterskier
02-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Sue. My cousin is doing his residentcy at Mayo! He claims it has some of the best doctors in the world. One of his patients was a president's wife. Although I can't remember who it was.

bigmac
02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I have a lot of experience with the Mayo Clinic over the last 20 years. It's very well organized, the whole process is very efficiently managed. I'm confident that you'll get good care there.

trickskier
02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Sue we have a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. That's where I go for all of my primary care. I feel that I am in the best hands in the world. You'll be fine and good luck!!!

chudson
02-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Sue my sis had major blockage in the main artery in her neck that carries blood to the brain and they replaced it at Mayo's with one from her leg. Remembering it then our whole family was very worried about the whole operation but looking back on it now I am very glad she was where she was! I have heard nothing but good about Mayo's and I think you will be in the best hands that you can be. I wish you the best!!!............Cec

Roonie's
02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
The Mayo is very efficient and well run. It should be a better experience then a regular hospital visit. Good luck.

peason
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Sue, my in-laws go to Mayo every year for check-ups. My father-in-law has diabetes and my mother-in-law has concerns with her heart. They both are currently involved with on-going studies at Mayo. They speak very highly of Mayo and the organization. I do know it is very large and can be very overwhelming, but I have not heard any negatives. If you are going to drive - I assume you will take interstate 90 out of Chicago. If you have a chance - Winona, MN is east of Rochester and located on the Mississippi - bring your camera since there are a lot of Eagles that winter along the Mississippi between Winona and LaCrosse.

jbfootin
02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
I never have, but my parents and grandparents all have gone there, whenever they have major issues that the local doctors have problems with. I have heard nothing but great things. If they can not find the problem, no one will.

Side note. My company has a division just outside of Rochester, so I get there often, and stay at the Mayo Hilton. I would recomend it, and there is a bar/ restaurant behind there called Newt's. Great burger and beer place:)

phecksel
02-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I flew several indigent patients there for health care. I was always amazed at the complexity of their health issues.

Plymouth Family Guy
02-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Sue, I was a Mayo patient from 1980 - 1991 (ages 10 -21) having five orthopedic operations performed at St. Mary's hospital and having at least four checkup appointments at the main clinic building every year. My experience was absolutely top notch.

A very good friend of mine was a Mayo patient from 2002 - 2006. He had outstanding care as well.

I know many people who have an annual physcial at Mayo and they all say how professional the whole experience is.

I have never heard anyone say anything negative about their experience at Mayo. The town of Rochester is very nice and has many food and lodging options. Good luck on your visit to Mayo.

suedv
02-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stop worrying about getting lost in the whole process.