PDA

View Full Version : Interior LED, Neon, and other toys.

eyeball_jerry
02-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Wondering if people have some pics of boats with neon interior lighting and other toys. My X-15 is getting LED interior lighting, I also want the WetSounds control unite (if you know when it ships let me know). Anyway, I live in WI and it is -1 right now. So I am so excited to get out, but maybe some pictures would help tide me over.

Also, any toys that are a MC must have?

trickskier
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Wondering if people have some pics of boats with neon interior lighting and other toys. My X-15 is getting LED interior lighting, I also want the WetSounds control unite (if you know when it ships let me know). Anyway, I live in WI and it is -1 right now. So I am so excited to get out, but maybe some pictures would help tide me over.

Also, any toys that are a MC must have?
Skeeler's old X-2 was loaded with interior LED's.

TMCNo1
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I've got a LED bowlight!

Leroy
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I bought 50 or 100 blue LED's plus resistor off ebay but still have not put in. Need to make the cable and everything.

skeeler
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Something like this? My old 07 X-2.

skeeler
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Another......

skeeler
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
One more.......

flipper
02-14-2008, 11:06 AM
That looks bad @$$ skeeler!!! Looks like the inside of a night club or something.

ridesdirt
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Something like this? My old 07 X-2.

Skeeler, My old 07.... are you rubbing it in?

Show us a picture of the X-Star when you get it in water!

BrandonKTM
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Are those LED's 12 Volt or is there a transformer?

skeeler
02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
12 volt, very little draw.

lassy
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
check it out........

i bought 2 sets of lights from here: http://www.plasmaled.com/ledpods.htm

they're ready to wire directly to a 12V source. i did 4 red pods for the interior and 4 white pods in the compartments

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P3090296.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P3090294.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P3090298.jpg

capnkirk52
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
how do you install these?

lassy
03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
hot glue was my weapon of choice.....

i had two accessory switches left over from when i installed my ballast system, so i mounted those on the panel under the driver side arm rest.

wired them through the same bus on the main circuit breaker also....

capnkirk52
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
is there a kit out there that comes with all necessary equip and instructions?

flipper
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
is there a kit out there that comes with all necessary equip and instructions?

kind of....buy the lights you want, and ask everybody here for the instructions.:D

lassy
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
yeah, what he said.

if you go to that site i gave the link for, you can read all about how to install a set of LEDs.

the ones i bought are ready to be wired to a 12V source. So basically, wire the LEDS in parallel, hook them to a switch, and give the switch power.

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 10:27 AM
ok so i've got the old JL speaker gilles...

and i'm really wanting some LEDs in there bhind the grilles...

so i've got it figured out how i'm getting the wires in there and where i want them but has anyone done a similar project... i'm concerned about damage to the speaker seal over time... the grille fit so closely to the speaker that the size of the light causes for a fairly snug fit... i plan on hot gluing the light to the speaker grille to prevent any rattling or such but i'm just concerned with the possible wear on the seal... $150 speaker so i don't care to ruin it over a couple of LEDs... any thoughts or comments?

skeeler
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I did the same thing in the speakers of my '04 X-2. Those had the Clarions in it though. I know the JL grills are inset into the basket. I have never really looked at them that close to get a game plan of mounting leds in them. My advice if possible, for a nice even glow, get the led as close to the center of the grill firing into the center of the speaker cone. I had no choice on the Clarions, but to hide them behind the little Clarion badge. But it did look good still.
Good Luck!!!

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
yea i've about made my mind up to go a different route w/ this one... (new grilles) but i'll definitely keep posted on how it comes out... w/ those old grilles the LED can't be in the center and look good w/ the size LED and the size of the wire... it'll show bad during the day... was planning on hiding 2 8mm LED behind the JL symbol at the bottom and let it glow up and toward the center (not to give away too much for the future look)... just can't pull the trigger w/ the grilles fitting that snugging the light on the seal

TX.X-30 fan
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I like blue. :D

Sodar
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I like dudes. :D

Keep it to yourself!

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
I like blue. :D

that's a lot like what i'm going for... i'm not a WIP kind of guy... i want to bring the pain on the first showing... friends want me to turn on what i've already got and i won't do it until it's complete... 3 have seen progress and they're helping by bringing me beer and telling me their opinions on looks... haha it's a good time... do more drinking and thinking/dreaming than anything

Gonzo
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
check it out........

i bought 2 sets of lights from here: http://www.plasmaled.com/ledpods.htm

they're ready to wire directly to a 12V source. i did 4 red pods for the interior and 4 white pods in the compartments

Man thats exactly what I have been looking for, I hate rope lights and was not excited about putting them in when I saw these!! Just ordered some today.

How well do you think they will light the cabin if I put 2 in the gunnels one under the back seat and then the 4th either under the driver or on the transom showing off my teak. I got the 5LED versions, in blue.

Gonzo
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
O yea, and everything says running parrallel? What does that mean? Home running the lines to the switch or putting them all on the same ckt?

bullit4888
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Here's mine. I did something similar to what you're thinking wakex2wake. I put a single LED behind the grill using hot glue. The tricky part was running the wiring but I haven't had any problems with the speakers in 2 years.

bullit4888
06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
A few more

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Here's mine. I did something similar to what you're thinking wakex2wake. I put a single LED behind the grill using hot glue. The tricky part was running the wiring but I haven't had any problems with the speakers in 2 years.

any chance you remember what size LED you put in there?... there's several different sizes... the "project" looks awesome... i'm having to go w/ a different light unit to replace the courtesy light in mine... pods wouldn't cover and i'm going w/ bigger brighter unit MUWAAAHAHAHA

o yea i got running the wiring on lock... it'll require a drill and a small hole but it will never be seen

TX.X-30 fan
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM
A few more

Damn they can see you from the shuttle. looks great. :D

TX.X-30 fan
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Keep it to yourself!

Nice one Sodarski73!!!! :D

drbesvold1
06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
what color led lights would you put on this boat inside and out?

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 12:42 PM

red........

drbesvold1
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
where is the best place to buy led lights for my boat then ? i seen some of the store posted but im not sure what type of led light to use and size to really lighten up the boat like some of the pics posted

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
can't get 'em too bright... pods for big areas you want lit and single 8mms for smaller IMHO... got three above each cupholder in my bote and 2 4-LED pod units under the dash... the rest is a secret... plasmaled.com will hook you up... fairly quick turn around on delivery too...

drbesvold1
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
can't get 'em too bright... pods for big areas you want lit and single 8mms for smaller IMHO... got three above each cupholder in my bote and 2 4-LED pod units under the dash... the rest is a secret... plasmaled.com will hook you up... fairly quick turn around on delivery too...
ok i will call them next week to get the right leds thanks

wakeX2wake
06-27-2008, 01:04 PM

good luck and post em when youre done... tiny wires... really small tiny wires... haha enjoy

TX.X-30 fan
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
good luck and post em when youre done... tiny wires... really small tiny wires... haha enjoy

What they remind you of somthin? :D

brucemac
06-27-2008, 01:12 PM
not to totally derail this great thread, but i have a question for skeeler or anybody else who might know.

i see you used to own an 04 X-2. i've got an 03 with the same stock clarion seperates. i'm gearing up to do audio upgrade later this season and was wondering if you ever replaced those stock clarion seperates and if so with what? just wondering what will fit in there. i've got the two up in the bow of course and then two more near the floor in the lounge. just wondering what my limitations/options are. i love the look of the new JL's, but someone told me they won't fit. looking for some suggestions.

lastly, if you had a sub in there, did you do one behind the observers seat or did you do anything custom behind the kick panel? i've got a heater vent, stargazer and of course the brain box screwed to that panel (along with the cut-out for the free-air sub which i don't have), so i don't have a whole lot of room. just curious and thanks.

Gonzo
06-27-2008, 01:18 PM
How well do you think they will light the cabin if I put 2 in the gunnels one under the back seat and then the 4th either under the driver or on the transom showing off my teak. I got the 5LED versions, in blue.

O yea, and everything says running parrallel? What does that mean? Home running the lines to the switch or putting them all on the same ckt?

Still same questions, but rethinking I may just move one on the corner of the spotters bench, as close to in line with the pylon as I can then two toward the rear of the gunnels so they also glow on the back seat, then one over the teak.... I cant see a 190 needing much more then that.

Gonzo
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM

I would match your trim as well. red

bhowell
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I have an 08 X15. We added 3 subs, and two more components. The boat is black and yellow, went with yellow neon. I put the neon around every speaker and sub, replaced the plastic cup holders with s/s and put neon in there as well. Finally, put neon in the glove box and in both side gunnels. I will try to post some pictures, but difficult to get it to take at night.

On the advice of this board, put in the WS 420 eq. So far I have been very pleased, the microphone works great and I can turn off the tower speakers when nobody is behind the boat (keeps the neighbors from complaining).

kmillard92
06-27-2008, 03:16 PM

before going with red i would check with your local lake patrol / dept. of boating / sheriff and make sure red lighting is allowed due to the fact that some may think you are "impersonating police" or something. usually some light colors are exclusively for emergency vehicles.

but hey, it's your boat! :D

Sodar
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
before going with red i would check with your local lake patrol / dept. of boating / sheriff and make sure red lighting is allowed due to the fact that some may think you are "impersonating police" or something. usually some light colors are exclusively for emergency vehicles.

Don't worry kmillard... Only in Cali would they try to get you for something like that! :rolleyes: 8p

mikeb51
06-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Check out Audio Video Creations. www.avcmarine.com

wakeX2wake
07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
worked on mine on and off for a week or so and here's the project through 2 of 5 phases... rough pictures i appologize but the crackberry was all i had

SkiDog
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM

It should be only against the law if they are flashing red.

Gonzo
07-15-2008, 03:37 PM
you guys have a flair for this kind of stuff, I have bought LEDs and have 2 options on placement. I have four 5led pods and 4 single LEDs. I am putting them in a 91 Prostar 190, in both cases the singles were bought to go in the speaker covers and turn on when the radio is on. As to the Pods,

opt 1. on on the motor box mounted to the plastic above the cupholders shining down, one on the transom shining on the platform and one under the spotters seat as close to center on all 3 as possible.

Opt 2.
Under spotters seat close to center; one in each of the gunnels about a foot away from the end of the opening going toward the transom; one on the transom over the platform.

they are going to be blue, the boat is trimmed in blue and gray.

wakeX2wake
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
i like the look of illuminating the "holes" in your boat... like cupholders (as in mine above... that you can barely see b/c the crappy picture quality) and under the dash and that kind of stuff... make things that are normally glossed over light up (and its usually easier to hide wiring and such)... i like the idea of lighting up the swim platofrm but i couldn't bring myself to drill the hull for an LED light (although i did drill one for the the two bright A$$ ones in the front and back of mine... just my :twocents:

FHMan1905
07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
just ordered some nice new LED's to replace all my trailer lights...on ebay...spent less on all the lights than what it would have cost to just buy the two tail/brake and one set of markers....all clear look lights....

kycat2007
01-07-2009, 09:57 PM
How did this get done on the rear?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/959879374.html

Witness140
01-07-2009, 10:41 PM

I dont think the underwater LED's were a factory option in 07' so he probably did that himself. The factory uses the Abyss lights in the center position from 2008 on. Pretty straight forward install. I believe it involves drilling a 3/16" hole, with a countersunk hole leading into it.

http://www.abysslite.com/s600-installation.php

kycat2007
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
the holes in the transom scare me. Maybe that is something Mastercraft dealers can do.

wakeX2wake
01-08-2009, 06:01 AM

he added them himself...

not hard at all... just (as Sodar would say) pucker up and drill... o yea and measure and read and re-read the directions

a fiberglass repair shop (i'm sure) can do them for you for much cheaper than a MC dealer can (sorry guys)... but if you can wire them in yourself it could save you $100+

i'm thinking of adding a couple more to mine as well... the only body of water i've seen mine in is the tn river and for those who don't know... it's not the cleanest body of water in North America... if the glow is enough for me when i see them in cleaner water i'm gonna stick w/ what i've got but if not i'm replacing the center two w/ the brighter abyss s-800s and moving the two S-600s to the outside similar to what he did... or i may sell them... who knows