PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Plane Crash on Friday

learjet2230
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Just got word that the small plane that crashed in Minnesota on Friday was a friend of mine. A superior pilot and human being! Something happened, either a catostrophic failure or he had some sort of health problem (heart attack). He had just purchased the aircraft and was flying it home. I landed at his strip all the time. He would do candy drops for all the kids from his Bell 47 or his Cessna Birddog. He was a CPT with AA, and retired Army Major, 21000+ hours total time. God Bless his wife, Georgina. God speed Phil Edgington, God speed!

Dan K
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Learjet,
I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good friend to have.

chudson
02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
So sorry for your loss, my prayers go out to you and his family.

Monte
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry for your loss learjet.. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family...

flipper
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
sounds like a neat guy....sorry to hear that.

6ballsisall
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear for your loss Learjet. My prayers and condolensces go out to the family.

Was he ferrying the plane home after purchase? Could it have been mechanical? What kind of plane?

Slinkyredfoot
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I am truly sorry for the loss of a great friend, my thoughts go out to you and his entire family....

TMCNo1
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend and prayers go out to all that were touched by him.

learjet2230
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear for your loss Learjet. My prayers and condolensces go out to the family.

Was he ferrying the plane home after purchase? Could it have been mechanical? What kind of plane?
He was always buying and selling antique planes. Anything from Stearmans, Birddogs, helicopters, cubs, etc... This was a Cessna 140. A basic, simple, easy to fly taildragger! Relatively slow (100 mph). From the pictures, it was a very hard impact. Cant even tell it is an airplane. Only thing recognizable is his leather flight bag. Here is a photo.

6ballsisall
02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
He was always buying and selling antique planes. Anything from Stearmans, Birddogs, helicopters, cubs, etc... This was a Cessna 140. A basic, simple, easy to fly taildragger! Relatively slow (100 mph). From the pictures, it was a very hard impact. Cant even tell it is an airplane. Only thing recognizable is his leather flight bag. Here is a photo.

Wow, that was a hard impact. I guess on a positive note, there surely wasn't any suffering on his part.

The 140 is a fun plane, I did about 4-5 hours in an old ratty one when I was getting my PL

learjet2230
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
here is one of the articles. This is the bad thing of aviation! Makes me wanna sell my plane and cut up my ticket. Have lost some good friends.
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?a=327993&z=28

MYMC
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear about this

sdesmond
02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My heart goes out to his family and yours too.

shepherd
02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow, it looks like the aviation community lost a great member. My father is an avid recreational flyer and I've met a lot of people like your friend. Sad loss.

I remember reading in "The Right Stuff" that the other pilots would blame the dead pilot whenever there was a fatal crash. It was hard for them to accept that things could happen up there that were beyond their control. It's hard to imagine a guy with your friend's background and experience would screw up. This accident must have been the result of mechanical or health failure.

T Scott
02-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for sharing.....sorry for the loss of what sounds like a great guy and great friend. Prayers go out to the family.

wakolman
02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
That sucks. It never seems fair when it is a good person who goes too early. Sorry to for your loss.

I just lost a buddy a couple of weeks ago-his friend was driving drunk and crashed. 42 with a wife and three kids under 18. 100% OF DRUNK DRIVING IS PREVENTABLE.

It sure makes you put life into perspective when it happens to someone close...

Gerd
02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry for your loss Learjet. You can always measure a mans life by the amount of dreams that were fullfilled. I think your friend had a wonderful life and it's a tragedy it was cut short.

Carbon Dreams
02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I almost gave up all my certificates and ratings when I lost 2 of my best friends in the same crash. Death is our only assurance in life. Keep your chin up and keep on aviating. There is nothing like breaking the bonds of earth!

puck_11
02-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry for your loss. Keep on flying though, I'm sure thats what your friend would want.

phecksel
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry for your loss. Never easy to lose a friend, especially when it's one you shared a common hobby with.

tachyon
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
That's terrible news! Think of all of the situations he lived through in that 21000 hours, it is sad to hear that it came to an end. At least he was doing what he loved!

jaydoug
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
that is so sad.

I'm 24 hours into my pp training. I started full steam about 4 years ago but when my instructor got a new job I was sort of left instructorless.. now with an 18months old and another on the way it's hard for me to convince my wife to allow me to continue.. :( especially when something as tragic as this could happen to someone with so much experience

lanier92prostar
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Learjet. At least he died doing something he loved. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and the family.

suedv
02-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Learjet, sorry for your loss. Take care. Sue

milkmania
02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
here is one of the articles. This is the bad thing of aviation! Makes me wanna sell my plane and cut up my ticket. Have lost some good friends.
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?a=327993&z=28

Learjet,
I am sorry to hear of this loss.

but, in the same conversation.... after reading that article....I can say without a doubt that Phil was exactly where he wanted to be! On the outside looking in, it looks like Phil was trying to live life to it's fullest, and I'm glad for you that you had the opportunity to meet a man like him.

Brian

phecksel
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
that is so sad.

I'm 24 hours into my pp training. I started full steam about 4 years ago but when my instructor got a new job I was sort of left instructorless.. now with an 18months old and another on the way it's hard for me to convince my wife to allow me to continue.. :( especially when something as tragic as this could happen to someone with so much experience

Don't let that stop you. people die everyday driving down the road, or even on the water. I would take a hard look at your financial resources and determine if this is something you can truly afford. Staying current is critical to safe pilotage. Also the time commitment can be a bit steep.