PDA

View Full Version : Transom Tie Down Straps

russlars
02-12-2008, 01:29 AM
I was curious as to what people are using for tie down straps on their MasterCrafts. The attachment eye on the boat and trailer are positioned to the inside of the swim platform bracket and with such a small distance between the platform and the transom of the boat, it looks like the only way that I could get a transom strap hook in there is to remove the swim platform everytime I strap it down. As a result, I have not been using straps. However, it makes me nervous to not strap down the transom on a longer trip. Also, how do you protect the transom of your boat from the straps and hook rubbing on the gelcoat and leaving a mark? By the way my boat is a 1999 Prostar 205 and the trailer is a DHM with a boat buddy loading system.

h2oskifreak
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
I have an "old school" Stars & Stripes" so I don't know if this will work for you but I have the slickest "ratchet style" tie downs. I had trailer work done and they mounted the straps and ratchet right to the trailer so they always stay on the trailer. They are as long or as short as you want. I had the same issue before these guys set me up. I bought 3 sets (all too long). I have owned lots of boats and these are killer. I hope you can find them and they will adapt because they can't be beat. P.M. me if you don't understand and I will get the brand from the trailer place that installed them.

Chicago190
02-12-2008, 02:07 AM
I use a ratchet strap across the top of the boat (above the engine cover) that attaches to the two eye hooks on each of the trailer fenders. I put small towels underneath the strap where it touches the hull.

KnoxX2
02-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Never use them!

Chief
02-12-2008, 06:58 AM
I use them since I had the opprotunity to see how my boat bounces around on the trailer.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
i am waiting to get my ratcheting straps that attach to the trailer delivered!! i have never used them in the past but it is a haul to CSM!

flipper
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I have these and love them. Don't have to worry about remembering what you did with the straps, and they work great.http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Tie_Down_System&str=tie%20downs&merchID=1008&r=view

sand2snow22
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I have these and love them. Don't have to worry about remembering what you did with the straps, and they work great.http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Tie_Down_System&str=tie%20downs&merchID=1008&r=view

These are what I use, they work well....

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
anyone got a pic of them on boat?
just wondering how they fit with transom saver and also where they come up with the platform on? thanks

TMCNo1
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I never use them, cause the transom eye bolts are above the platform and the platform is in the way. I don't care to use the gunnel strap, from trailer fender eye to trailer fender eye across the boat in front of the rear seat and if the boat would bounce it can pinch the boat sides/deck in and create stress crack on the gelcoat.

flipper
02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
anyone got a pic of them on boat?
just wondering how they fit with transom saver and also where they come up with the platform on? thanks

I don't have a pic, but I put them through the teak platforms first hole closest to the boat.

Harvey
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't normally trailer long distances so I usually just loop the tie down through the platform bracket on each side. All It really does is keep the boat from bouncing around. If I trailer long distance then I take the platform off and run them up between the hull and platform.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
well i will put them on tonight and then put transom saver on. i just bought it and it is not screwed on yet!!

i do not trailer far either but for long trips like the 400 to csm i thought they would not be too bad an idea!!!

russlars
02-12-2008, 12:44 PM

These look great and I would like to use something like this, but I doubt that the hook is going to pass between the platform and the transom due to lack of space. I have seen people notch their teak platforms for the hook, however, mine is fiberglass so that is not an option. Any other ideas? Anyone have pictures with these in use on their boats? I really don't want to have to remove my platform each time I use these.

JR34
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM

I used these on my 190 before I sold it and they worked great aside from one issue.......these chipped away at the gel coat adjacent to the hook on the boat. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe they were positioned wrong on the trailer causing it to twist a little. Just curious if it was just mine or others have seen the same thing on theirs.

flipper
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
no problem with mine at all

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
i have seen some little stick on pieces of trim to keep this from happening online. i might have to invest in some!!

Sodar
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I had them on my 1996 PS 190 and they worked great. Do not get the cheesy zinc version of them, buy the stainless.

TMCNo1
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
A towel, rag, folded piece of carpet or even a split tennis ball positioned properly will prevent the gelcoat chipping/scratching!
I've been using tennis balls on my cover straps/ropes for nearly 19 years and if they get dirty, throw them in the washing machine and dryer or make new ones.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
thanks sodar i took ur advise awhil eback when we were discussing it and got the stainless ones. i found them for $84 a pair!!

Harvey
02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
You could always just buy some extensions and use them between the teak and hull and the hook would likely not even have to touch the boat. Here are a couple of links.

21" soft extensions (http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#extension)

17" soft extensions (http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#TDBD278)

You would just loop the extension through the eyelet and then drop it down between the teak and hull and attach a hook at the bottom.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
both of those might be too long i will check.
dang i have never had that problem b4!!

Harvey
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
All they consist of is some 1 inch nylon strapping and some heavy duty stiching. I bet you could have an upholstry shop custom make you a set for $5-10 bucks.

east tx skier
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
A ratchet strap from fender to fender with towels to keep it off the gel coat worked well for me.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4050.jpg

Nice thing to have when you have tread separation at 70 mph when someone has already paid you for the boat.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4034.jpg

loeweb
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I have an "old school" Stars & Stripes" so I don't know if this will work for you but I have the slickest "ratchet style" tie downs. I had trailer work done and they mounted the straps and ratchet right to the trailer so they always stay on the trailer. They are as long or as short as you want. I had the same issue before these guys set me up. I bought 3 sets (all too long). I have owned lots of boats and these are killer. I hope you can find them and they will adapt because they can't be beat. P.M. me if you don't understand and I will get the brand from the trailer place that installed them.

I use the same thing. These work awesome. Slick to tie the boat No stress cracks YET Knock wood. I don't get them stupid tight either.

loeweb
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM

I use the same thing. These work awesome. Slick to tie the boat No stress cracks YET Knock wood. I don't get them stupid tight either.

kjohnson
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Do you guys think it is necessary to strap your boats down? I have never strapped mine down. I drive carefully and avoid potholes.

Chicago190
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Do you guys think it is necessary to strap your boats down? I have never strapped mine down. I drive carefully and avoid potholes.

Maybe not necessary, but it only takes a minute so I don't see any reason not to strap it down.

flipper
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I always strap down...you never know

east tx skier
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Between one instance tread separation and a separate instance of a moron trying to cross the road in spite of my location and velocity relative to him, I have been in two quite hairy situations with the boat in tow. Both time, the boat has stayed put. In the latter of these situations, the trailer almost went sideways.

I have never been so thankful to have had more securing the boat to the trailer than a winch strap.

For such unexpected situations, it is necessary for my boat.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4033.jpg

BrandonKTM
02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I followed my 84 S & S once for about 25 miles on an Interstate and was amazed to see it bounce 4 or 5 inches up off the bunks numerous times. Soon after I bought some ratchet straps my dealer had for just that reason.

ProTour X9
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I never use them

Ditto, I don't even think I have them.

DanC
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM

I don't think seat belts are necessary and I drive careful. But I still believe in seatbelts. As Eastie points out, what could be a simple traffic altercation with tie downs could instead be this without tie downs.

Ski Bum
02-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Great pic. That guy could save on registion, Who needs a trailer. I dont strap my boats transome down. And never have for 20 years. But also dont go that far and have bunks on the front of my trailer to keep it from sliding forward.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
hey guys
i just installed my transom saver from teakworld and the retractable tie downs will not work.
i only trailer boat about 25 miles to the lake so no major need for them.
so now they are for sale. i figure if one of ya'll wants them it is easier than sending them back!!
just pm me if you are interested!! they are the good stainless steel
ones!!
i paid like $85 bucks for the pair plus shipping. pm me and we will work something out alot cheaper than that!!! thanks

russlars
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
:smile: You could always just buy some extensions and use them between the teak and hull and the hook would likely not even have to touch the boat. Here are a couple of links.

21" soft extensions (http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#extension)

17" soft extensions (http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#TDBD278)

You would just loop the extension through the eyelet and then drop it down between the teak and hull and attach a hook at the bottom.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I really like this idea of the extensions paired up with the ratcheting tie downs from Overtons. I also had a near catastrophe with my previous boat (an I/O). I was returning from the boat launch (only about a mile) and was too lazy to put the straps on. When pulling into my driveway I ran one trailer tire up onto a rock and nearly tipped the back of the boat off of the trailer when that side of the trailer ran up on the rock. Of course that trailer was a roller type and I think one with bunks is less likely to do this, but the possibility still exists. I have also had two trailer tire blow outs at 60 mph and that can cause the trailer to move around unexpectedly also.

h2oskifreak
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Shamrock, If your only going that far can you hook them to the swim platform brackets?

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah i could h20 but i do not want to hurt the transom saver. plus i do not want to mount them if i really do not need them.

jimmer2880
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I do what Eastie does - over the gunnel. Not "stupid tight" either. I'm also not afraid of stress cracks, especially after seeing how strong these boats are. I bought some of those sheepskin seatbelt covers and put those over the straps. They work great, and I don't have to worry about loosing the towel.

I too have followed an inboard down a country road and saw how much it moved around. No way I'm ever taking mine out again without being tied down.

To me, it's the same as wearing a seatbelt. It's on, even for short trips. They say most accidents happen within 10 miles of your house.

Sodar
02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I use tiedowns on any boat I ever tow. It is just cheap insurance to avoid accidents like this!! :D

kjohnson
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that a 2300# boat would bounce up and down 4"-5" several times without damaging the gel coat. Do you really think it was that much.

Sodar
02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that a 2300# boat would bounce up and down 4"-5" several times without damaging the gel coat. Do you really think it was that much.

Easily! I followed my brother while towing our 13000lb center console and saw that thing bouce about 4" off the trailer when he hit a pothole in the road...

TMCNo1
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
If mine starts bouncing several inches on and off the trailer, I guess it's time to change to some new Monroe Matic Shocks on my trailer!

east tx skier
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM

They bounce. As to measurements, I can't say I've taken them. But it is visible if you've ever followed someone towing an inboard. And it is more than mear shifting.

russlars
02-13-2008, 02:33 PM
They bounce. As to measurements, I can't say I've taken them. But it is visible if you've ever followed someone towing an inboard. And it is more than mear shifting.
Next time you tow, take note of the exact position of your boat on the trailer when you leave and when you arrive. Mine usually shifts a little from side to side. That makes me a little nervous, especially when you consider the possibility of potholes, flat tires, curbs and accidents that you can't anticipate!

east tx skier
02-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Won't tell me much. I strap it down.

flipper
02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
even though I strap it, it still moves a little side to side. It's the impact from bouncing that I'm trying to avoid. That and the unexpected as others have mentioned.

Rallyspitman
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I tie mine over the transom with a 2" strap- no problems yet. Don't care what anyone says but I have lost a boat off the trailer pulling away from an off camber junction. Boat just ended up on the road. Still can't understand what happened but it did.... I never thought it'd happen to me, but it did! I will never tow even 1 mile without the boat tied down. Cheap insurance.

wakolman
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Definitely use the straps. If you have to suddenly stop, swerve, or get hit, that boat is not going to be so apt to stay on the trailer. Minor problem turns into a major problem! The pics in this thread should be all you need to see.

h2oskifreak
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I din't want to sound off and be all negative, but they do bounce, I agree. I have never lost one, but followed my boat before I redid the trailer and couldn't get it stapped fast enough

jimmer2880
02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
It's not as much of the boat bouncing off the trailer, rather, the trailer being much lighter than the boat, the trailer falling back to the ground much quicker than the boat comes down to the trailer.

ShamrockIV
02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
It's not as much of the boat bouncing off the trailer, rather, the trailer being much lighter than the boat, the trailer falling back to the ground much quicker than the boat comes down to the trailer.

dude ur quote makes no sense whatsoever. if ur trailer is lighter that means it would not fall as fast right?

Sodar
02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
dude ur quote makes no sense whatsoever. if ur trailer is lighter that means it would not fall as fast right?

Dude, what are you looking for? A physics equation to figure out the velocity of the trailer falling back to the ground verses the boat!?!?!?!

This is the most pointless argument! Do whatever you want... use tie downs, don't use tie downs, who cares! It is you money, your boat and your choice!!

jimmer2880
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM

Dude.... it has nothing to do with weight, rather density. (do you remember the experiment of dropping a grape, and a grapefruit - they both land at the same time?)

My point is, we aren't tieing our boats to the trailer, rather the trailer to the boat.

And to Sodar - yes, do whatever you want. It's your boat. But, if you're in an accident, and your boat separates from the trailer, be ready for a fine for not properly securing your load.

Chas
02-14-2008, 08:26 AM
if you're in an accident, and your boat separates from the trailer, be ready for a fine for not properly securing your load.

This is the best point so far, IMHO. I have seen these boats levitate off the trailer, or the trailer drop back faster, or whatever combination of these things makes for air between bunk and boat. That doesn't bother me as much as the point above about having the boat go wandering away in the case of a serious crash.

endl
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Who has the picture of the that racing boat/Scarab that ended up in the bed of that F-250? That was ugly.

I pull my X-45 without transom straps and I know I probally should not. The only straps I have seen usually are only rated at 1800lbs each. Some of you physics guys tell me what size strap I need on the back of my boat if it weighs roughly 6000lbs with gear and some fuel. I guess 55 mph would be a average speed to figure.

lanier92prostar
02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I use transom straps when I am towing a distance, but do not use them to tow the boat a mile to the lake. I just put them through the slot in the teak deck that is closest to the transom. I have not had any problems. In a situation like the 2 pictures above, I would rather have a broken deck than a boat in the bed of my truck. Sometimes if we are traveling a long distance, I will remove the deck. Just my 2 cents.

jimmer2880
02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
While I know I'm not entirely correct, I would suspect that we need straps that are rated for the weight of our trailers, not the weight of our boats, since the trailers are much lighter than the boats. Of course, in the real world, they would need to be rated for higher than the trailer weight for things like sudden stops (like when the towing vehicle hits a brick wall), but I doubt the number would be the weight of the boat.

Then again, I've been wrong before :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Unless a magician is nearby doing tricks, my trailer and boat don't levitate, cause the roads we usually drive on suck and they stay put on the road.
It's got to be true, cause I read it on the Internet.

east tx skier
02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
...But, if you're in an accident, and your boat separates from the trailer, be ready for a fine for not properly securing your load.

After my first year of law school, I worked for a district judge. That summer, he presided over a really awful case where a guy jack knifed his boat trailer and the boat ended up on top of a mustang waiting whose driver (young girl b/w 16 and 18 years old) was waiting for the car in front of her to go (the light had changed to green for them). She was killed. Her family recovered 1.5 million in their lawsuit against him.

A fine would be the least of a boat owner's worries. The civil damages would be pretty low on my list of worries, too, if I had to live with what that guy has to live with.

Sodar
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Unless a magician is nearby doing tricks, my trailer and boat don't levitate, cause the roads we usually drive on suck and they stay put on the road.
It's got to be true, cause I read it on the Internet.

My boat has been know to levitate from time to time....

It even comes off the trailer at times....

Leroy
02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
My :twocents: I used to not tie down, but saw my boat bouncing around and few pictures on here of boats spilled on the road....

The straps are not lifting the weight of the boat, just keeping it in place. That is a good question how strong should they be. In most situations I can think of if the boat starts to lift up and IS strapped down with the bow ring in, it will be lifting the weight of the trailer which is 1000-1500 pounds.

Also when you tie the boat and trailer together you have the weight of the trailer helping keep everything from bouncing up, ie another 1000-1500 pounds to keep everything settled. This is also more stable setup with everything tied together.

Monte
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
After my first year of law school, I worked for a district judge. That summer, he presided over a really awful case where a guy jack knifed his boat trailer and the boat ended up on top of a mustang waiting whose driver (young girl b/w 16 and 18 years old) was waiting for the car in front of her to go (the light had changed to green for them). She was killed. Her family recovered 1.5 million in their lawsuit against him.

A fine would be the least of a boat owner's worries. The civil damages would be pretty low on my list of worries, too, if I had to live with what that guy has to live with.

That's a good example ETS... Unfortunately stuff like that happens more often than you'd think... Not to make light of the loss of a young life, but unless the guy had an umbrella policy or was extremely weathy, he is still paying through garnished wages and or leins against his property.. With that example.. I'll never pull without strapping mine down again

east tx skier
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think they can garnish wages for that, but they can darned sure go after everything that isn't exempted from a judgment lien.

ShawnE
02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I grew up thinking there was a law in Wisconsin about needing tiedowns but wondered if it was just my dad trying to teach me good habits. So, I started looking on the DMV site and found this:

It would be unlawful if the boat was unsecured and fell from the trailer on
to the roadway.

Wisconsin statute 348.10(2)
(2) No person shall operate a vehicle on a highway unless such vehicle is so
constructed and loaded as to prevent its contents from dropping, sifting,
leaking or otherwise escaping therefrom.

brat
02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I would like to know one thing.

What type of securement devices do these boats come with from the factory ?

TMCNo1
02-16-2008, 10:22 AM

Very good point!
I would think if it was such a necessity/requirement/law, etc. the boats/trailers would be designed for their unobstructed use, shipped with them or even installed at the factory, then the dealer would store and deliver the boat to the customer with them installed, no if''s and's or but's about them, then it would be a matter of whether the owner wanted to use them or not.
It might be interesting to check for yourselves the inventory pictures of our dealers around the country and see for yourself just how many boats/trailers have transom/gunnel straps installed. I have done it! I would think that they would be educated by MC in setting a example to the customer for their use, but I would think it would start at the factory first and foremost.

Covi
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Brat, that's the ticket. I agree 100% with you. What are these boats coming with from the factory.

I can tell you I DON'T use the manufactures tie down strap (you know the one that goes over the rear and latches to the hooks on the trailer fenders) not because of the stress that they put on the boat sides, "I think that's a crazy". But, because of what it will do to my upolstery that runs the length of the boat. I'll take my chances of the boat lifting of the trailer rather than tearing the interior. Plus when I get the water theres no slowing me down. Forget letting the wheel bearing cool. Dump it in the water and have some FUN!!!!!!

stuartmcnair
02-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll probably get a lecture from someone on this...but...

I tie mine down. I can live with a few blemishes to the finish and pinstriping around the back of the boat versus losing the whole boat. I will probably change to an over the top system after reading this but I will always tie down the boat. It's just not worth taking the risk with my baby.

jimmer2880
02-16-2008, 01:57 PM

I have no idea how they come from the factory. But, I will tell you, that my owners manual says to tie it down. So, if the manual tells you to do it, why would you think it didn't need to be done?

brat
02-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I have no idea how they come from the factory. But, I will tell you, that my owners manual says to tie it down. So, if the manual tells you to do it, why would you think it didn't need to be done?

Does the owners manual illustrate the tie down points, or say where the tie down points are ?

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done just questioning where and how.

JohnnyB
02-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I use straps. From the factory, I don't believe they come with straps...maybe one of our dealer members can validate. The factory does put eyes underneath the platform and hook holes in the trailer so that you can use transom straps....

I bought them shortly after buying my boat.....peace of mind is worth a few minutes and $30

Doug G
02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I tie mine down. Why take a chance? It doesn't hurt anything in my setup and there are many ways things could go bad without them. Seems to be a simple no brainer to me. On the x-30 the hooks are below the teak and the brackets for the hooks are welded to the trailer by the factory.

But then I'm the same guy that hung glow sticks from the teak for the overnight haul to CSM so there would be something to make the teak visible from behind.

I use these (minus the marketing) without problem. I don't go stupid tight either. Just enough to make the boat and trailer one piece. I also consider them part of the survival solution if the winch strap breaks.

JohnnyB
02-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I tie mine down. Why take a chance? It doesn't hurt anything in my setup and there are many ways things could go bad without them. Seems to be a simple no brainer to me. On the x-30 the hooks are below the teak and the brackets for the hooks are welded to the trailer by the factory.

But then I'm the same guy that hung glow sticks from the teak for the overnight haul to CSM so there would be something to make the teak visible from behind.

I use these (minus the marketing) without problem. I don't go stupid tight either. Just enough to make the boat and trailer one piece. I also consider them part of the survival solution if the winch strap breaks.

Mine are pretty much the same as the ones on the left (rubber covered hooks, etc) except for the advertising and the yellow pieces are black.

russlars
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
The factory does put eyes underneath the platform and hook holes in the trailer so that you can use transom straps....

Do all of the newer MC's come with transom tie down hooks underneath the platform now?
This makes a lot more sense since the platform is in the way when they are located above the platform.

russlars
03-10-2008, 05:07 PM
The factory does put eyes underneath the platform and hook holes in the trailer so that you can use transom straps....

Do all of the newer MC's come with transom tie down hooks underneath the platform now?
This makes a lot more sense since the platform is in the way when they are located above the platform.

bkblaida
03-10-2008, 06:39 PM
3 years ago when I bought our MasterCraft I started a thread asking the same question and someone posted a series of pictures of boats that had left their trailer. These alone will convince you to tie down even if you are only going 1 mile. My 97 ProStar 205 trailer did not come with tie down's. I had the local welding shop install 2 eyes and I tie down at all times. To prevent scratching the finish, a local upholstery shop put soft covers over the tie down straps. I remove the swim platform to install the straps. Takes 30 seconds.
Interesting that this discussion only takes place on tow boat sites. I have never seen an I/U or outboard being towed w/o tie downs.
When I took my Coast Guard boating safety class the instructor said that all 50 states require boats to be secured to the trailer when towing.

ttu
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM

yes, or at least they are on my 07 x2.

Sodar
03-10-2008, 06:55 PM

I believe so, but I am not certain. I know that the 197/X-7's do and the Maristar 200 and X-2's do TOO.

ttu
03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
:confused: sodar, my 07 x2 does.

heck i had no idea they were there.:confused:

Sodar
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Hmmmmm... I guess they could be. I looked for them on one at the boat show and did not see them. Hell if I know! :D

ttu
03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
haha, really i had no idea they were there. i remember when i picked up the boat at the dealership i thought "there is no way to run the straps to the hooks above the platform since the platform sits so close to the transom.

but when i lost one of my stainless exhaust tips, (see pic) there they were....

erkoehler
03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Did you get that exhaust tip fixed? Should be warranty by your dealer.

Many of the new boats now have gone back to "flaps"

ttu
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Did you get that exhaust tip fixed? Should be warranty by your dealer.

Many of the new boats now have gone back to "flaps"

erk, dealer replaced both tips with new stainless ones.

thanks for asking.

russlars
03-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks to all of the responses to my post, especially Harvey who suggested using the "soft extensions" found in motorcycle shops and for the vote of confidence from many of you on the stainless steel "Boat Buckle" ratcheting tie downs straps. The extensions I purchased are rated for 4,500 lbs. each, so they should be adequate and the nice thing is that I can just slip them down between my swim platform and the transom and attach the "Boat Buckle" to the loop in the extensions without having to remove the platform. Furthermore, the hook never touches the boat!:)
Here are 3 pics showing the end result, the first two without the platform, the last with platform in place.

russlars
03-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Transom with Tie Downs

russlars
03-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Close up view

russlars
03-15-2008, 04:42 AM
With platform on, ready to tow.

Footin
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I had them on my 1996 PS 190 and they worked great. Do not get the cheesy zinc version of them, buy the stainless.

Hey Cam, How did you bolt these on, did you drill thru both sides of the trailer and thru bolt them?

McDye
05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
BoatBuckle has a bracket too. I to would like to see a side shot and more info.

FrankSchwab
05-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Russlars -
Great job installing those.

I have friends who simply attach the tie-downs to the triangular bracket on the platform. It's designed to deal with serious weight, so should work fine for this purpose, and would mean that you wouldn't have to thread the tie-downs behind the platform.

Fortunately, the tie-down eyes on my boat are much easier to deal with on my boat.

/frank

petemcc
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I've got a problem I can not figure out... Where to tie down on my1992 Maristar
Any suggestions?
I'd prefer to use the tie down placements already on the trailer however open to ideas.