PDA

View Full Version : pulling boat

jaydoug
02-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee v8 4wd. Is it to small of an suv to pull a 2008 x15???

thanks in advance

jason

kycat2007
02-12-2008, 02:05 AM
I pull my Maristar 210 with a v6 Trailblazer. With a V8 I would say it should but others may have a better idea. Just take it slow when you feel it is struggling.;)

kycat2007
02-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Welcome aboard I know you will like it here lots of great banter and great people.

Mag_Red
02-12-2008, 05:39 AM
I have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee v8 4wd. Is it to small of an suv to pull a 2008 x15???

thanks in advance

jasonWhats the tow rating?? I would think you would be fine.:twocents:

OhioProstar
02-12-2008, 08:19 AM
I think the GC has a 6500lbs towing rate. A general rule of thumb is 2/3 the tow rate for the boat....and I know all sorts of people tow at or over the rating. You will want to take into consideration the topography you will be towing through. The boat will take longer to stop than a full sized truck and will hunt gears/burn fuel. I had a GC with the V8 and it did all of those things with my PS190 behind it. Could it haul the boat, sure. I think you add another 1500 lbs for a X15 and you will eventually buy something larger.

jaydoug
02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Awesome, thanks for the help. I went and looked at an x15 right before Christmas and will be pulling the trigger on one in April. Just making sure I didn't need to add a new vehicle as well :)

I've been lurking in here for a few months. Didn't have anything to say but hopefully I'll be more talkative with the new boat :D

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Rule of thumb!!!!!
It is not pulling it is stopping!!!!

h2oskifreak
02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Two words, Transmission Cooler.

coz
02-12-2008, 09:46 AM

thanks in advance

jason

As an owner of a Jeep GC like yours (my sons car now) and experience towing a boat and toyhauler with it I would look into a new ride too.
I had a 19ft Maxum before my MC and that boat is alot lighter than the x-15, the GC would strugle and I was always worried about the tranny and if you get into a wind storm you'll be blown all over the road, and I would never let my wife tow with this vehicle (we have big fords now so I don't worry). On the possitive side I have a house on a river that the water level drops at night so you can get the Jeep down into some pretty low and slippery launch ramps with no worries in 4x low.
See if your MC dealer recomends pulling with the GC. What is the weight of the x-15?

TheOneandOnly
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I just got rid of our GC v6 since we will be pulling an 08x2. I was in the same boat. We went and purchase a new boat and was trying every aspect to tow with the GC (v6) From my research it would pull it but would damage the rear end and tranny, would have to put air bags so the rear end didnt sag soo much. Of course this was with the V6. IMO Jeeps are good at off roading, pulling once and a while but not made for frequent towing.

What is the weight of the boat, make sure to add in gas, people, beverages, gear, etc. Good luck

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 11:18 AM
good one one and only!!! those new wakeboats u guys roll with hold a buttload of fuel!! what is the ratio like 1 gal equals 5 pds?

coz
02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
good one one and only!!! those new wakeboats u guys roll with hold a buttload of fuel!! what is the ratio like 1 gal equals 5 pds?

I think it's around 8lbs a gallon.

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
good info coz i knew it was heavy!! plus it is hanging on the back not centered on the axle like our prostar engines huh. lol

Sodar
02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
1 gallon of water equals 8.33 lbs.

1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.0 lbs.

Leroy
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
It seems like it should be able to tow with rating of 6500 #, but a friend went through several transmissions and other problems that I think were related to towing over long distances with them. That was pulling a 19' Arriva I/O.

OhioProstar
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
My GC V8 was all wheel drive and we went through two front axles. Again it WILL pull the boat, but I think you will be in a better position to tow with a full size truck or SUV.

Patrick Hardy
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I have a 1997 Explorer w/ V8 AWD and pull a 1996 PS190 with it. I added a transmission cooler to it, it pulls OK. I think if you are pull the boat around town with the occasional trip, it would do fine.

My problem is that living in Washington State, I travel over a lot of high mountain passes up and down the West Coast. With a fully loaded boat and rig it slows way down and puts tremendous stress on the rear end.

Seeing that you are in the Southeast, your rig should be fine. Just make sure that the towing and trailer weights are acceptable. Then again, it is always easier to pull a boat with a new and larger rig. My 2 cents worth

lanier92prostar
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Rule of thumb!!!!!
Trailer brakes are wonderful, but you want to make sure that your vehicle is not pushed in curves. I agree with the 2/3rds rule. You want your vehicle in control, not the boat controlling the vehicle.

lanier92prostar
02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Two words, Transmission Cooler.
If you do pull have a transmission cooler installed if you don't already have one. Also others have said that tow rating is not just for the boat. It includes gas, beer, passengers, gear, etc. My camper has a dry weight of 12, 000lbs, but we weighed it full and it was closer to 15k. You can go over the recommended GCWR really easy and then the boat will control the vehicle. I have seen my share of accidents with people pulling trailers and boats with vehicles not built for towing that load. The more vehicle you can afford the better off you will be when towing. Also, the longer the wheel base the better the handling and less sway at higher speeds. Good luck and welcome to the board.

TheOneandOnly
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
All i have to say is buying a boat is the start of an expensive hobby (i.e. I bought a newer truck just for the boat) :)

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
lol man i got an urge at the boat show for a x14 and a new truck to pull it with but then i figures out that it would take 100k to pay for them. and my current yukon/205 set up cost me around 40k total lol

Ski-me
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Rule of thumb!!!!!

This is probably the most important issue. The smaller SUV's may say they can TOW that weight but you may have some difficulty stopping easily. The full size trucks and SUV's have the larger brakes to accomodate the heavy loads.

Also, the longer the wheelbase of the vehicle the more stable the trailer. A heavier and longer truck is just going to perform better.

Driving up to Wyoming (heavy wind) I saw a Durango V8 pulling a camper trailer (maybe 26') and watched the wind push this thing into fishtailing and then all of a sudden, the entire truck AND trailer flipped...everything still attached. Only a few car lengths in front of me!! Although he was not paying much attention to the fishtailing, I think the heavier truck would have been safer.

Finally, just because you get a new boat doesn't mean you need to get a new truck as well! A good, used one will do just fine. Go get yourself a $3000-$4000 truck or suburban to tow it.;)

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
hey jaydoug where in the southeast are u?
terrain has a big bearing on this too!!
are u in Tn with 45 degree ramps or are u in FL or AL where is is flatter?

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
i agree with jeff on the tow rig.
i needed a yukon xl with my 4 kids and it just works out but it is not feasble to get crappy mpg all the time to just be able to haul the boat!!
my 95 chevy p/u does great too

TheOneandOnly
02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
This is probably the most important issue. The smaller SUV's may say they can TOW that weight but you may have some difficulty stopping easily. The full size trucks and SUV's have the larger brakes to accomodate the heavy loads.

Also, the longer the wheelbase of the vehicle the more stable the trailer. A heavier and longer truck is just going to perform better.

Driving up to Wyoming (heavy wind) I saw a Durango V8 pulling a camper trailer (maybe 26') and watched the wind push this thing into fishtailing and then all of a sudden, the entire truck AND trailer flipped...everything still attached. Only a few car lengths in front of me!! Although he was not paying much attention to the fishtailing, I think the heavier truck would have been safer.

Finally, just because you get a new boat doesn't mean you need to get a new truck as well! A good, used one will do just fine. Go get yourself a $3000-$4000 truck or suburban to tow it.;)

True no need to get a new vehicle, then again having a hooptie with a 60+k boat looks rediculous

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
True no need to get a new vehicle, then again having a hooptie with a 60+k boat looks rediculous

yeah but only till u get to the lake!!! then u can PIMP!!

TheOneandOnly
02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
haha lol, for each their own, I just couldnt roll like that!!

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
i guess i am good though i have 03 yukon xl and a 97 205 lol

6ballsisall
02-12-2008, 04:56 PM
As the truckers say "It's not the go thats important, it's the WHOA that matters!"

trickskier
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
As the truckers say "It's not the go thats important, it's the WHOA that matters!"
You haven't talked to my drivers..............8p

Ski-me
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Pretty expensive route ($60k boat, $50k truck) just to look good on the road for a few hours:rolleyes:

I bet those two payments are pushing close to a house payment....

jaydoug
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I just replaced the transmission this year. I don't like my boat sitting in the water all the time so I always pull it home ever weekend (40mins away) . We currently have a 2007 glastron gt205. I know sorry, it was my first boat and I wasn't sure howmuch we'd be on the lake. boy was I wrong, I calculated that we made 26 weekend trips to the lake with the boat and put almost on 185hours . Now that I know we'll be up there I wanted to have THE setup :) hence mc and the x15

jaydoug
02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
hey jaydoug where in the southeast are u?
terrain has a big bearing on this too!!
are u in Tn with 45 degree ramps or are u in FL or AL where is is flatter?

In Birmingham, Alabama we're at Smith Lake..

mrprostar
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
My brother in law just bought a JC and he pulls his 98 Aluminum Princecraft fish and ski around with it. It is a heavy boat for the truck. He used to tow it with an older inline 6 JC and it did fine. Aside from towing, in my opinion, it is a rough ride that isn't very comfortable for an SUV. If a trailblazer can tow it, I would go that route.

TheOneandOnly
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Pretty expensive route ($60k boat, $50k truck) just to look good on the road for a few hours:rolleyes:

Is very expensive, then again how can you afford 60k and not be able to afford a 20-30k truck to haul it? :confused:

If one cant afford it there better off buying used...

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 07:19 PM

close nothing i bet they are more than alot of people's!!

dapicatti
02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
We had a 03 GC, great vehicle but was not enough for our X-2. We previously had trashed the transmission in our 96 GC pulling a Cobalt, same weight . Both GC's were V8, AWD, great vehicles but really not meant for pulling boats uphill as we have to. With my Yukon it doesn't even seem like I am pulling a boat. I would look at upgrading to something a little more capable of towing and stopping.