PDA

View Full Version : Advice

CPlane Pilot
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Need opinions. I recently purchased a 04 197 from a mastercraft dealer (The boat was out of my area and I purchased it by reference to many pictures and trust in the dealers representations). I purchased it as is, however, was told it was in perfect condition. The dealer stated that he had his service department go through the boat and all I would have to do in the spring would be put it in the water a enjoy. The boat arrived a couple weeks ago and the appearance both inside and out was great as the dealer had said it would be. However, being semi mechanical I decided to give the mechanicals a once over. The first item I checked was the water pump finding the impeller missing half its blades. I was not happy thinking if they didn't check something that obvious how can I trust they in fact really went through it. I called the dealer and he genuinely apologized and is sending out a replacement, which I am thankful for. My new find was a nick in the prop. Took the prop to the prop shop to be repaired. ($100) I next checked the alignment after noticing worn bearings and binding when turning the prop. Way off. After looking for cause, pulled shaft took it to machine shop verified it was bent and had it straightened. ($50) The strut is also slightly skewed. My need for advice is this. Would it be reasonable for me to ask the dealer to pony up for a strut, and would a quality mastercraft dealer honor that request. Please bear in mind I did buy the boat as is going by only pictures and representations by the salesperson. Thoughts please and thanks.

duckguy
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
First I would not buy something this big sight unseen. So I think that is very irresponsible on your part. With that said however I dont feel it would be unfair for the dealer to at least pay half.

Chicago190
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I would certainly contact the dealer and be reasonable with your requests. It won't do any good to get upset or threaten them. I would also think about bringing the boat into a dealer to have them verify your findings so that you can have something official to show to the dealer you purchased it from.

88 PS190
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I would definately talk to the dealer about it.

I have always had good luck with the customer service of the dealers I have used, and since you purchased the boat, and they had assured you that it was mechanically sound and as the impeller is really the only wear item (yes most people replace those every season) I would think they should reasonably reimburse you for the expense of your repairs.

Bent strut, shaft, damaged prop, and strut bushing would indicate that someone had an encounter with a stump or the bottom of the lake.

This is a no brainer, you haven't gotten use on the boat and these are mechanical items that are required for proper function and are obviously previously existing conditions that weren't stated up front.

russlars
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I would certainly bring the items you mentioned to their attention and let them know that you are not happy with the way that the boat was represented. Next, ask them what they intend to do to make the situation right and then just wait... You might be surprised. If they are a quality dealership, they may be happy to pay for the parts and repairs since you provided the labor. I would start with the person you were dealing with and if that doesn't go anywhere, ask to speak to the owner of the dealership. If they don't pay it all, then go for half. It also helps if you stroke their ego a little by telling them you know that they are a quality dealership and want to keep their customers happy.
Good Luck!

CPlane Pilot
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
I should clarify, Even though I would rather not have to deal with these issues, I am not upset with the dealership at all. They were very good to deal with through the sale and were quick to offer up an impeller when I called with that problem. I'm just trying to get a gauge before I call them on whether what I think is reasonable is in fact a reasonable request in the opinion of others. I don't want to treat them or myself unfairly.

Chicago190
02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
I should clarify, Even though I would rather not have to deal with these issues, I am not upset with the dealership at all. They were very good to deal with through the sale and were quick to offer up an impeller when I called with that problem. I'm just trying to get a gauge before I call them on whether what I think is reasonable is in fact a reasonable request in the opinion of others. I don't want to treat them or myself unfairly.

They presented it as a 100% mechanically sound boat, which it obviously was not. I think they should at least cover the parts if you are willing to do the labor.

h2oskifreak
02-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Dealer's fault for representation. Over selling is a big no no. Under promise and over deliver and then there is never an issue except when are we doing our next deal. Hit em up, you'll never know unless you ask and don't be hesitant. You'll find out if you will use them again in a hurry.

JohnE
02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I bought a used boat out of area sight unseen last year from a dealer. Same as you. It was billed as perfect and was perfect. If there were anything wrong, I'd have been on the phone right away, and would expect him to replace the parts at his cost. And I believe that he would have. I got to know him from here and I trusted him. For some reason a dealer advertising a product as perfect is different in my mind than a private party advertising as perfect.

BrandonKTM
02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I bought a used Outboard for my pontoon last year on E-Bay. Private seller said it was mechanically perfect as he had just gone over it and listed a few items he fixed. Put it on pontoon, went a few miles and engine smoked and seized. had local dealer fix it and here the guy had missed the connection on the cooling line. Anyway, the dealer wrote it up what was wrong and I had called the seller ahead of time and he paid for half the repairs, and got positive feedback from me. Seems like you should get AT LEAST that from a dealer.

flipper
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM

I don't think it's unfair to ask them to make the boat what they said it was. They told you one thing, sold you another. I would think they would pay for you parts, and fire somebody in their service department if the boat was really in the service department.

6ballsisall
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I'd call the dealer and ask them to make it right. I bet they will. It's already been said but that sure was awful risky of you to make what most would consider a sizeable purchase without a visual inspection at the least of the boat. Just something to think about.

Best of wishes!

BGcraft
02-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Of the opinion it's not to much to ask a dealer to stand behind their product...

For your part- it's seems that you are only trying to be fair in this situation.

Would echo previous thoughts- correspondance and "tone" of approach with dealer is everything.

Surely a "no" if you don't ask...

Best of luck and hope this situation works out for you.

Best.

BG

bigmac
02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I should clarify, Even though I would rather not have to deal with these issues, I am not upset with the dealership at all. They were very good to deal with through the sale and were quick to offer up an impeller when I called with that problem. I'm just trying to get a gauge before I call them on whether what I think is reasonable is in fact a reasonable request in the opinion of others. I don't want to treat them or myself unfairly.Offering up an impeller is a $30 exercise in customer service. In inspecting a boat, checking the impeller, checking the prop and running gear....those things are at the top of the list. Pretty lame that they could sell a boat as being "in perfect condition" and say that their service department had gone through it, then turn out to have something as rudimentary as a shredded impeller and a nick in the prop (which always implies the possibility of bent shaft and strut).

Yes...a quality dealership would stand behind the boat after making the statements they made to you. But...either the sales guy lied to you, or their service department is incompetent, and I'm not sure you're dealing with a quality dealership here. We'll know by their response after you talk to them about the strut/shaft/prop damage.

eyeball_jerry
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I talk about my dealership non stop. Sorry, however, I think that they represent the vast majority of dealerships, they just tolerate me. I would whole heartedly expect them to honor thier word, they would also do everything short of losing the shop to help me. If your dealer isn't like that, i am happy to send you to mine. But just call them, they should suprise you.

sk8salomon
02-14-2008, 07:47 PM
a worn impeller or dinged prop is one thing but you have a serious issue here that i think the dealer needs to be responsible for. i'd make them pay for new shaft, strut and components + labor. prop & impeller are more like tires and spark plugs IMO but i would definitely bring them up and say you plan on taking care of that if they fix the rest. your fault for not looking the boat over & finding little stuff but their fault for taking the boat in whether or not they knew about the problem. good luck bro!

JohnE
02-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I talk about my dealership non stop. Sorry, however, I think that they represent the vast majority of dealerships, they just tolerate me. I would whole heartedly expect them to honor thier word, they would also do everything short of losing the shop to help me. If your dealer isn't like that, i am happy to send you to mine. But just call them, they should suprise you.

I don't understand.......do they tolerate you or do they do everything short of losing their shop to help you?

CPlane Pilot
02-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Just to follow up. I contacted the dealer and the result was very much to my satisfaction. After their numerous apologies and asking what they could do to make it right, they are sending a new strut and shaft so I’m not running re-worked gear. Even though I’m sure their profit margin on this sale has disappeared, they were more than willing to do what ever I thought was appropriate without hesitation. This was an unseen problem among two honest parties and it should be comforting to Mastercraft that this dealer is representing their brand well.

Leroy
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Great ending, stories like this are what make me proud of MasterCraft!

Just to follow up. I contacted the dealer and the result was very much to my satisfaction. After their numerous apologies and asking what they could do to make it right, they are sending a new strut and shaft so Iím not running re-worked gear. Even though Iím sure their profit margin on this sale has disappeared, they were more than willing to do what ever I thought was appropriate without hesitation. This was an unseen problem among two honest parties and it should be comforting to Mastercraft that this dealer is representing their brand well.

coz
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
The dealer stated that he had his service department go through the boat and all I would have to do in the spring would be put it in the water a enjoy.

As a contractor I know that a contract is binding weather verbal or written, it seems to me this should be the same with this contract, right? a contract is a contract. So in the dealers contract to you he stated the above quote just add water and enjoy :confused: This in itself seems like breech of contract to me becuase of the things you have had to do in order to get it in the condition the dealer said it was in, it obviously wasn't even seawothy when you took delivery :confused: My biggest concern if it were mine would be the bottom strike :( you mentioned you had the shaft straightened but is everything else inline and to the same specs as it left the factory? Little wobbles don't go away they just get worst.:( Where's the lagal eagles on this one?

coz
02-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Just to follow up. I contacted the dealer and the result was very much to my satisfaction. After their numerous apologies and asking what they could do to make it right, they are sending a new strut and shaft so Iím not running re-worked gear. Even though Iím sure their profit margin on this sale has disappeared, they were more than willing to do what ever I thought was appropriate without hesitation. This was an unseen problem among two honest parties and it should be comforting to Mastercraft that this dealer is representing their brand well.

oops! sorry, didn't see that one, good news:D

ShamrockIV
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM

sorry to be rude, but if the above is true why are u complaining??

sorry i have to hear this all the time from my wife. "i do not want to complain,but....."

i am also sorry i did not see ur post about them making it right!!!! good customer service is the way to go!! my dealings with connelly customer service made me go with them for my new ski!!!