PDA

View Full Version : GMC Yukon help

flipper
02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I bought a GMC Yukon a couple weeks ago with the 5.3L. I love it, has plenty of power, but off the line it sucks. Anybody have ideas that won't void the warranty? I thought of gears, but don't want to kill the gas mileage with gas prices the way they are.

Lennyp04
02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
my dads suburban is awesome of a green light but maybe my good isn't your idea of good

flipper
02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Mine does okay, but I haven't pulled the boat or anything with it yet. Do you know which gear ratio you dad has? I think mine has the 3.42.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Get a chip...Doesn't void the warranty. I have the Denali XL with the 6.0 and it s**ts and gets it off the line. But a chip will help.

stuartmcnair
02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
one thing I can think of...happened with mom's burb...it was only dropping into 2nd gear for some reason...make sure it is using all of the gears

flipper
02-11-2008, 04:05 PM
one thing I can think of...happened with mom's burb...it was only dropping into 2nd gear for some reason...make sure it is using all of the gears

Didn't really think about that....have to check on it. Thanks

flipper
02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Get a chip...Doesn't void the warranty. I have the Denali XL with the 6.0 and it s**ts and gets it off the line. But a chip will help.

I bet the 6.0 hauls!!! I thought putting a chip in it would void the warranty, or does it depend on what chip you get?

Maristar210
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
That 3:42 rear end with that motor blows. I just turned in my GMC Sierra with that setup. Hated it for three years. I would try a chip like others have said or see about switching to the 3:73. I have the 3:73 with the 6.0 in my new Sierra and love it. Shouldn't void the warranty just switching it out. Might be costly though....

Wife has the Yukon Denali and that thing gets all kinds of excited when you hammer it. Knocked the dog clean off his feet - THUD - You alright Boy?

Good Luck

D3skier
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
if you want more off the line as well as improved gas milage. put in a cold air intake from K & N.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a chip for my Chevy 2500HD 6.0. When I take it for service I just reset to original settings. They never know. The cold are intake and trottle body spacer will go well with the chip. You will definatly feel a difference.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I have an Airaid on the truck, very similar to the K & N. A little cheeper too.

flipper
02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I'll have to check out some chips....any suggestions? I plan on getting a cool air also

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I have the Hypertec Programable chip. You can also adjust the shift points and all other kinds of stuff. Cant recall but i think it was around 300 bones or so. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

stuartmcnair
02-11-2008, 05:00 PM
just do this...

Turbo (http://www.turbo-kits.com/yukon_xl_turbo_kits.html)

bcampbe7
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a wait4me tune in my 2004 Yukon 5.3L. It woke it up pretty good. No complaints here, but I am coming from a Land Rover Discovery II that did 0-60 in 2 minutes! :D :rolleyes:

www.wait4meperformance.com/

trickskier
02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
That 3:42 rear end with that motor blows. I just turned in my GMC Sierra with that setup. Hated it for three years. I would try a chip like others have said or see about switching to the 3:73. I have the 3:73 with the 6.0 in my new Sierra and love it. Shouldn't void the warranty just switching it out. Might be costly though....

Wife has the Yukon Denali and that thing gets all kinds of excited when you hammer it. Knocked the dog clean off his feet - THUD - You alright Boy?

Good Luck
Like Steve say's the only thing that's really going to help off the line is GEARS.............I have a 3.73 in my Yukon and 4.10 in the Suburban.......:D

bcampbe7
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Also, good thing about wait4me is that you get a new PCM with your tune. You can swap out the the PCM's when you need to take your vehicle in for service. Takes about 10 minutes to swap them out.
Another good thing is that you have free re-tunes for life. If you add cold air intake, exhaust, turbo, etc Jesse will retune for the mods. Just tell him what you have added and send in your PCM. :cool:

flipper
02-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the help guys....I'll have to check some of these out.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Supercharge It..................

flipper
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Supercharge It..................

I wish....don't think the wife will let me. Gonna have enough trouble trying to talk her into a chip.:cry:

dmayer84
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I had the silverado with a 3.42 in the rear end. Took me 9 months to hate that rear end and trade it for a 3.73, HUGE difference

flipper
02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Again, thanks for all the help guys....anybody know the difference between 3.42 and 3.73 as far as gas mileage? I'm leaning towards a set of gears. Any idea on cost to have it done?

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
man mine is good off the line!!!!
If you can afford the gas!!!

Sodar
02-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Read here: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21244&page=4

2wd gear install is about $1200

flipper
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
man mine is good off the line!!!!
If you can afford the gas!!!
What kind of mileage do you get? Is it the 5.3L with 3.73?

ShamrockIV
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
i have the 5.3 i guess with stock 4x4 gears.
i get 20 or more on the highway. not sure about around town it is nto driven in town much.
i may have 5.7 i am not sure!! i can look when i get home. is there ven such a beast as a 5.7(350 right?). these liters kill me!!! can we not go back to the good old cubic inch system!!!

flipper
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
i have the 5.3 i guess with stock 4x4 gears.
i get 20 or more on the highway. not sure about around town it is nto driven in town much.
i may have 5.7 i am not sure!! i can look when i get home. is there ven such a beast as a 5.7(350 right?). these liters kill me!!! can we not go back to the good old cubic inch system!!!

I know what you mean. Thanks for the help

Ski-me
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I know what you mean. Thanks for the help

I had an 02' Tahoe with the 5.3 and 3:73 gears. It had all kinds of pickup off the line. My average mileage was anywhere from 16 to 18 MPG but I didn't pay too close attention. I did hit 20 mpg going 75 or so when I first got it. I don't think you will see a huge difference in mileage changing gears.....maybe 10% or so.

Look in your glove box:
GT4 - 3:73 gears
GU6 - 3:42 gears

I now have a 04' 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 and 3:73 gears.....a blast to drive but also only gets 12 mpg. Hard to pass by gas stations these days!!

My friend bought an 07' Caddy suburban with the 6.2L and 6 speed tranny......driving to the ski resort he said he got 18 mpg!

Chevy had done some good things. The Caddy sounds like my 8.1 and moves almost as quickly! He tows a 30' trailer with ease. He was always a Ford Excursion guy but after driving the Caddy, he's changed over!:D

Good luck with your Tahoe. I put on 135,000 before selling mine and it was incredibly reliable!

ttu
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
jeff, i've got a 07 tahoe 4x4 and the best i have ever got on the highway is about 18 and town 12.

any clue?

flipper
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
jeff, i've got a 07 tahoe 4x4 and the best i have ever got on the highway is about 18 and town 12.

any clue?

That's about what I get also. I just called wait4me performance, send them my computer, $75, they ship it back same day, and make any changes I want done for free for life. Think I'm going to do that. He said the off the line issue is mainly just timing. I should get 30hp more through the RPM range.

Sodar
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I heard that wait4me tunes are really bad and not custom tailored to the vehicle in the least.

Look around here for more info! http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/

From what I have heard these are the best: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

ttu
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
but what pisses me off is they "chevy" advertised these as the best full size fuel ecomony. heck my 01 & 04 Sequoia got better gas mileage.

flipper
02-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I heard that wait4me tunes are really bad and not custom tailored to the vehicle in the least.

Look around here for more info! http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/

From what I have heard these are the best: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Thanks for the heads up Sodar....I'll check the other out.

Prostar Rich
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I have an 05 suburban 4x4 with the 5.3 and 3.73 gear. As said on previous posts the 3.73 gear will help get the truck moving from a dead stop. I have added a Corsa cat back ( GM aftermarket) and the air raid intake. These mods made a difference. For a truck it performs quite well. To swap out the gear to a 3.73 or 4.10 would run you some $$ and you would still need to get the PCM tuned for the new gear.

Prostar Rich

Ski-me
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM

any clue?

I'd say your in town may be a touch low but nothing too unusual. Your highway seems to be very good.

The difference between the Tahoe/Yukon compared to the Caddy is the tranny (mainly). I believe yours is still a 4 speed and the Caddy is a 6 speed. My dad has the 07 Tahoe and his is a 4 speed. GM should have put the 6 speed in all of these trucks.

ttu
02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd say your in town may be a touch low but nothing too unusual. Your highway seems to be very good.

The difference between the Tahoe/Yukon compared to the Caddy is the tranny (mainly). I believe yours is still a 4 speed and the Caddy is a 6 speed. My dad has the 07 Tahoe and his is a 4 speed. GM should have put the 6 speed in all of these trucks.

gotcha. :mad:

Ski-me
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
but what pisses me off is they "chevy" advertised these as the best full size fuel ecomony. heck my 01 & 04 Sequoia got better gas mileage.

Our 2004 Volvo XC90 with a turbo 6 cylinder gets around 16 to 17 mpg on the highway and can't tow anything compared to the Tahoe. I am really impressed with the Tahoe/Suburban platform. Great truck, rides nice, tows nice and gets decent mileage. In reality, 1 mpg difference is no big deal (comparing to the Sequoia).

ttu
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
jeff, i agree, but i used to get 22 mpg going to colorado with family and truck loaded with ski gear with the sequoia

my overall combined is around 14 during a typical week of both highway and city driving.

now i will say the newer platform tahoe's is a great improvement over the old.

6ballsisall
02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I've got an 07 Tahoe w/ the smaller motor (4.8 liter) and road gears (not sure what ratio) It will pull a 197 orthat size boat no problemo. The ride is great!

Mileage I am not overly impressed with. It gets 14-15mpg in town (all it sees is in town miles) I'd guess thats equivalent to the 5.3 liter in town mileage.

flipper
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Went down to Fresno yesterday, and met with Justin from Blackbear Performance. Great guy, and great results. He hooks his lap top to the car, and adjusts the computer how ever you want. Thanks for the link Sodar, and would recommend him to anybody. He only does GM.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Sodar
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey Flipper, what did it cost?

MIMC
03-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Flipper -

Despite all the great comments you have heard on this site, a chip can void your warranty - only if you have a problem that was caused by the chip. As an employee of GM (in the service arena) I have to tell you that any modification can void your warranty. I can't tell you how many times we have denied warranty covereage due to modifications. If you think the dealers can't catch this stuff then think again! The best course of action for you to get better "off the line performance" is to bump your gear set to 3.73 gears. If you go to 4.10 then you will be complaining about MPG's and I would recommend a re-cal with that gear set. Is the Yukon 4WD? If yes, then remember you will have to replace both gear sets = $$$. Re-programming the factory PCM settings is possible and can create some extra HP, but it can also get you in trouble with emissions. I believe you are in Cali? Do you have smog testing requirements? If you do have testing I would be concerned about passing with any mods to the factory cals. I don't want to sound like "Big Brother" but these are just some things to think about before modifying your vehicle - just my two cents.

flipper
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey Flipper, what did it cost?

$200, plus gas to get there.

flipper
03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Flipper -

Despite all the great comments you have heard on this site, a chip can void your warranty - only if you have a problem that was caused by the chip. As an employee of GM (in the service arena) I have to tell you that any modification can void your warranty. I can't tell you how many times we have denied warranty covereage due to modifications. If you think the dealers can't catch this stuff then think again! The best course of action for you to get better "off the line performance" is to bump your gear set to 3.73 gears. If you go to 4.10 then you will be complaining about MPG's and I would recommend a re-cal with that gear set. Is the Yukon 4WD? If yes, then remember you will have to replace both gear sets = $$$. Re-programming the factory PCM settings is possible and can create some extra HP, but it can also get you in trouble with emissions. I believe you are in Cali? Do you have smog testing requirements? If you do have testing I would be concerned about passing with any mods to the factory cals. I don't want to sound like "Big Brother" but these are just some things to think about before modifying your vehicle - just my two cents.

Yes, I do know all that....but there are always around every one of those issues:D The stock pcm is still around for and work that needs to be done at the dealer. Same for smog.

As for the gears, that's next on the "to do" list. Thanks for the advice though.