PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Selection

learjet2230
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Ok folks,
I'm having a hard time making a decision so I will let ya'll do it for me. I am going to put a new stereo in my boat. Of course, I dont want to spend a lot of money. I think I am going to leave the speakers for now. There are only four in the stock locations on the side panels (no tower). I can always upgrade those at a later time. I want a head unit that is XM capable. Has to be XM, not Sirius! I dont need a cd player. I just want a tuner basically that recieves XM and FM freq and also has the Amp inputs. Something that also has the ability to put in a remote at the back of the boat. I also need some suggestions on Amps. Again this is not mean to be something you can hear while skiing, but definately underway in the boat! Can a head unit and amp per the above be done for under $500. I will be doing the install.

JBaker
02-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Ok folks,
I'm having a hard time making a decision so I will let ya'll do it for me. I am going to put a new stereo in my boat. Of course, I dont want to spend a lot of money. I think I am going to leave the speakers for now. There are only four in the stock locations on the side panels (no tower). I can always upgrade those at a later time. I want a head unit that is XM capable. Has to be XM, not Sirius! I dont need a cd player. I just want a tuner basically that recieves XM and FM freq and also has the Amp inputs. Something that also has the ability to put in a remote at the back of the boat. I also need some suggestions on Amps. Again this is not mean to be something you can hear while skiing, but definately underway in the boat! Can a head unit and amp per the above be done for under $500. I will be doing the install.

This can absolutely be done for around $500. If it were me...I would go with Clarion M475, or CMD5 if it is possibly going to come in contact with moisture. Then you just need to pick up the XM tuner (not sure of model#.) Choose either a display or non-display remote and it will come w/ necessary cable. As far as an amp goes...you could go two or four channel (the advantage of four will be retaining fading capabilities), and spend as much as you feel comfortable with. I personally think that just driving cockpit speakers is a really easy load on an amp, so I wouldn't be too worried about breaking the bank to get the best amp around.

stuartmcnair
02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
learjet,

Go to crutchfield.com. They will take care of you.

learjet2230
02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
learjet,

Go to crutchfield.com. They will take care of you.
Got some recommendations from Crutchfield. Ordered a xm ready Sony X-Plod Head unit and a 600W amp. Shall I document the install on here as a thread?

stuartmcnair
02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
can you do that? Never seen a how to on here... :)

learjet2230
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Ok got the AMP today. WOW! That was fast especially on standard shipping. For the owners of older prostars, where are ya'll putting the amps. I dont want to go under the observer seat due to water, and that is where I have the MSD box. Any suggestions or pics!!

stuartmcnair
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
the guy that had my boat before me had one mounted on the left hand sidewall of the storage area behind the observer seat