PDA

View Full Version : iTouch / iPod

Ben
02-09-2008, 01:59 PM
V-day shopping for wife. Neither of us is very high tech anymore, but she wants an iPod. Do I spend a few extra bucks for the iTouch? I'm not sure how much she'd use the extra features, but still may be kinda cool. We have wireless @ home, but she already has a laptop.

Any experience w/the device or tips?

bigmac
02-09-2008, 02:24 PM
V-day shopping for wife. Neither of us is very high tech anymore, but she wants an iPod. Do I spend a few extra bucks for the iTouch? I'm not sure how much she'd use the extra features, but still may be kinda cool. We have wireless @ home, but she already has a laptop.

Any experience w/the device or tips?

The iPod Touch is an amazing device, but its usefulness over a coventional iPod depends on her needs and her interest in cool electronic gadgets. If she is just interested in portable music, the iPod touch is way overkill and the iPod Shuffle works great. If she has interest in basic video such as storing and watching a few home videos and maybe the occasional ripped DVD, or displaying photographs, the iPod Nano is very cool too. If she is interested in ripping and watching DVDs on the thing as well as storing a lot of music, then the iPod Classic is a good choice. The Touch is aimed at people who really want to surf the internet on a pocket device and be freed from their laptop. Personally, I find my iPod touch most useful when traveling, for watching videos and listening to music on an airplane for example, or for giving one-on-one presentations. I use it on the road for showing photographs, Powerpoints, or work-related videos in small conferences without having to uncase a laptop. Other than that, I rarely use it in situations where I have my MacBook Pro with me, including at home.

Ben
02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks. I think the main uses will be music and photos, with a bit of internet access mixed (slight chance). Videos is probably a bit much right now. I was initially looking at the nano, but her brother pointed me to the iTouch. Although he is a techie 30 somthing with no kids, and we are the opposite...

ShamrockIV
02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
go with the nano or reg ipod!!!
i got touchscreen on my treo and i do not like them!!!

bigmac
02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks. I think the main uses will be music and photos, with a bit of internet access mixed (slight chance). Videos is probably a bit much right now. I was initially looking at the nano, but her brother pointed me to the iTouch. Although is a techie 30 somthing with no kids, and we are the opposite...I'm a techie too, and I have the 16 gig iPod Touch. It is very, very cool, but other than the coolness factor, I confess that the only time I use its uber-cool features (larger-screen video, wireless) is on the road. At home, I'd rather use my laptop. Outside the home, a Touch's usefulness depends on whether or not it's in range of a WiFi hotspot. Other than occasional coffee places (note that Starbuck's is NOT free, for example), there aren't that many.

If the coolness-factor is appealing to her, do get the iPod Touch. Otherwise, it's likely to be overkill. IMHO, for the non-techie, pictures and music primary use = iPod Nano.

stuartmcnair
02-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm a techie too...so take this with a grain of salt. :D

I have a nano and it does everything I need it to. I have other things to do internet or photos. One thing I would get as well would be the ear bud attachments that fit inside your ear. Really cut down on the external noises (I use mine while on the tractor and the diesel and cutter are loud) and make the sound much clearer.

magnum
02-10-2008, 01:21 AM
i think it really depends on what your wife wants to do with it. if she wants to have internet on it and not that many songs then i would get the itouch but if you don't want internet then i would get the 160gb because you can put alot of songs on there, or if you don't want to spend that much i would get the 60 gb or the 80gb.

suedv
02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
I don't have good advice other than don't put them in the washing machine. I did it once and now I know for sure that they don't like swimming.

Now to be serious. I have an ipod nano and I like it a lot.

Chief
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I bought the daughter a itouch and she loved it. So did someone else. Took it out of her purse when she went to the bathroom.(School rule no purses in the bathroom.) So I'm out $400.

"Teenagers" Who thought that was a good idea.

ShamrockIV
02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
dang bro u dropped 400 bucks for an itouch for your kid!!! i need ur job!!

Ben
02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
i think it really depends on what your wife wants to do with it. if she wants to have internet on it and not that many songs then i would get the itouch but if you don't want internet then i would get the 160gb because you can put alot of songs on there, or if you don't want to spend that much i would get the 60 gb or the 80gb.

I think music is the main thing, after that, pictures will be cool and used. I don't think she'd use the internet much (mom w/2 little ones) as she doesn't get to places too often that have wifi. On the flip side, she saw one and said it was "neat" and would like one. At the end of the day, I think I'm stuck between getting what is practical and will be used (nano), vs. paying more for something that is neat that won't be used too often (iTouch).

hmmmmmm.

ShamrockIV
02-10-2008, 12:42 PM
go nano bro!!! my wifes ipod just had puppiues and i replaced it with a nano!! she loves it!! it is smaller and she does not want a ton of songs on it anyway!! she is a mom of 4 and a fulltime college student so she loves using it to study and uses it while she is walking to class on campus!!

Ben
02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
go nano bro!!! my wifes ipod just had puppiues and i replaced it with a nano!! she loves it!! it is smaller and she does not want a ton of songs on it anyway!! she is a mom of 4 and a fulltime college student so she loves using it to study and uses it while she is walking to class on campus!!

I'm 75% there, I think I need to get to a store and see the physical goods to see how size & ease of use will factor in too.

4 daughters... Holy crap, I've got 2 small girls, now I know where to go for tips in the future... I'm suprised your boat isn't pink yet...

ShamrockIV
02-10-2008, 01:18 PM
nope not pink check out my pics on here and u will see it and all my kids!!! hey to tell u the truth we got her nano off ebay for like 100. it is the old style skinny one. they have the new one that starts at 150. she really did not care and as i said she does not need more than 2gb anyway!!!

yeah ben send ur daughter questions!! mine are 8(twins), 6, 3!!!

lanier92prostar
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Ben, I am in the same situation as you concerning tech gadgets. We got a Nano last year and it works great for our needs. I think we got the 8 gig Nano which was overkill for us. We do not use it for anything other than music. I agree with the earlier posts in that we have computers and other devices, so in my opinion the I touch is overkill unless you are into the coolness factor.

Lennyp04
02-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Ben, I have the iPhone which I absolutley love (other then the fact apple always comes out with something bigger or better 2 months after I get mine) but in anycase. I guess what you need to ask yourself or what your wife needs to ask yourself is what will I actually use it for. If its only for music then there is no reason to get the ipod touch. The next thing is where will you be using it? If your going to bring it on the boat you will need to be really careful with an iTouch because of the screen being glass...same as the iPhone. The internet on my iPhone is really nice to have when I leave the house for the day because I can still use all my normal internet functions and still send e-mails which I believe you can still do that with the iTouch.

Basically it comes down to what you will actually use it for...wether it be music, photos, video, internet or emails all ipods/itouches have their own strengths. But to be really sure what you want, see where the closest apple store is to you and go in and play with the fun stuff!

Chief
02-10-2008, 07:38 PM
dang bro u dropped 400 bucks for an itouch for your kid!!! i need ur job!!

Only kid at home syndrome, ya gotta make them happy or they will make you miserable.

I started saving for it before they knew they were going to make it.