PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Question

marty5
02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Hey, I would appreciate some quick feedback from X-Star owners...I'm looking at a '07 X-Star with no hours MCX, Bimini, 4 tower speakers w/lights, heater, heated seats, pretty much loaded for $62,500 (black & white)...is this a decent deal?

Lennyp04
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not an x-star owner but if I were you I would do it. From the info you gave us its a brand new boat with goodies for what I would call a good price but other people who know alot more then I do will be the people to listen too

jkski
02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
The question is...What is wrong with it?
It's a great deal, especially if you are getting it from a dealer and it has never been titled...that way the new boat warranty fully applies.
To give you an idea, our local dealer has a loaded 2008, now granted it has the 400HP motor and pretty much every option known to man, but it's advertised for the mid $90k range if I recall.
Good luck.

D-MAX-Star
02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a 04 x-star and love it if you can get a 07 bought for that I would jump on it. I would check on it though like jkski said because that is a good deal. Good Luck!

SteveO
02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
@ $62.5 I'll but it. Is that with the trailer??? If so, a GREAT deal

Ole Miss Rebels
02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
i assume it has a trailer. mcx is a great engine. you may need to upgrade the prop (another $400-$500 you will also want to add another amp (or two) to beef up the stereo. heated seat is nice, heater is nice. make absolutely sure that the boat is sold as new with the entire factory warranty remaining. also, make positively sure (in writing) that the boat has never been wrecked or had any damage or repairs to the fiberglass or the underwater gear (again, IN WRITING). you will want to be sure and get the tower braces to prevent the swaying that that year's tower experienced. the brackets may not be sent to the dealership yet but make sure the dealership puts in writing that he will get the braces at no charge for you. Check the hour meter and make sure the hours on it are below 10 hours. if something doesn't seem right with the hours you can have the hours verified by pulling it off of the ecm with the dealership's diagnostic laptop. regardless, the fluids may need to be changed as maybe does the impellor depending upon how long the boat has been sitting since it was manufactured. is the boat still winterized from the factory? did it stay outside at the dealership during the winter months? if so, it certainly should have been thoroughly winterized, including the heater core and the ballast tanks/pumps. does the dealership have a good reputation? how long have they been in business? all of these issues i brought up are somewhat overly cautious but something to think about anyway. otherwise, i would jump on that deal in a heartbeat. you will absolutely love the XStar. it is the king of the wakeboarding world. wakesurfing???well, not so much so, but adequate. skiing??? absolutely the worst. family use??? lots of room and comfort. bling, looks, usability, all very high. i love my 2005 xstar and am somewhat sadly trading it for a 2008 xstar. it has been a wonderful boat. caution: never run your boat below half tank of fuel. the fuel pumps burn up very easily if you run your boat on a low tank of fuel. fill up EVERY time you pass a gas station. other than that, go for it before someone else snatches it up. that sounds like a good value to me. especially considering what the 2008 model is running now.

PendO
02-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Plain and simple ... I woud not buy an Xstar with the MCX ... this topic has been discussed an nauseum on here if you want more info

marty5
02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your replies...Yeap, the boat has a trailer & has never been titled so it would start life as new. Only been in the water once for a demo and was stored inside. Regarding upgrading the amps, if it has two JL amps (600 & 400) will that be enough? Basically its the factory set-up for a boat with 4 tower speakers is what I'm being told. I appreciate your help!

marty5
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I understand you comment about the MCX, but talking with local guys they say that its a great engine to have here in the midwest...out west, its worthless, don't even consider it because of the altitude.

jkski
02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
You can't really go wrong with the MCX(350hp), as it is a great motor and puts out a lot of power. In an ideal world, if you were ordering this boat, then you would probably want to upgrade to the 400hp, but then again, the price would not be what it is, so you have to weigh that out for yourself.
At the end of the day, the MCX will move that boat out of the hole fully loaded just fine..maybe not as fast as the 400hp, but it will get the job done. If you were considerig this same boat with a 310hp then the story would be completely different.
Again, great deal.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-09-2008, 12:25 PM
pendo has a very valid point to consider. my 08 will have the L18. mainly because i am adding the Pro X ballast system. and if i was going to trade boats i wouldn't have traded an MCX for an MCX. I was going to get the LY6 but there were overheating issues not worked out yet if your LY6 had a heater attached to it. so, i begrudgingly upgraded to the L18. I still have not taken delivery of my new boat yet but i strongly reccommend you get the OJ 14.25 X 14 110 cup prop. maybe your dealer will swap you at no charge. the MCX with that prop can handle 4000 pounds of weight but it will take you about 25 seconds to get up to plane. unless you are a pro and going to keep your boat heavily loaded ALL the time the mcx should be adequate CONSIDERING THE PRICE. also, even with the wakeboarding specific prop i was only burning 5.3 gallons of fuel per hour. i suspect my L18 will burn more than that, hopefully not too much more. i have read that it isn't going to be a terrible increase in fuel consumption and hopefully the benefits will help justify the increased fuel consumption. also, the mcx with the silentmaster muffler is as smooth and quiet as a sewing machine. it makes for a smooth, quiet, pleasant day on the lake. my L18 has no muffler, only in-line baffles, and is significantly louder. you got yourself a value, just make sure it has never been wrecked or had fiberglass or underwater gear re-worked.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-09-2008, 12:28 PM
amp set-up is adequate and no big deal to upgrade. don't let that stand in the way of this deal. for another few hundred dollars you can add another amp and another subwoofer and have a killer set-up. Yes, your stereo will sound wonderful as is and will upgrade easily and inexpensively.

PendO
02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Ole Miss ... c'mon, you really don't care how much that baby burns :)

look, if somebody wants a V-6 Mustang, great ... but when my wife walks by and says "that just like the car you used to have" ... "no baby, mine was a cobra ..."

Ole Miss Rebels
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Ole Miss ... c'mon, you really don't care how much that baby burns :)

look, if somebody wants a V-6 Mustang, great ... but when my wife walks by and says "that just like the car you used to have" ... "no baby, mine was a cobra ..."

i suppose you're right about the mustang vs. a shelby gt500 but i still think he is getting a good value and there are a lot of people, including me, who really just don't NEED the LY6 or L18. my boat with factory ballast and six people still put out the best wake on my lake. i never did put 4000 pounds of weight in it. i only got the pro x ballast for the convenience when we surf. that being said, i now should have as bad a boat setup as there is available and i will certainly be proud of it and enjoy it. i always wanted a hemi cuda, though and would probably trade the boat for a well-restored one.

Eagle Lake Rebel
02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

chaseandrews
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM
that is an amazing deal! i have a 2006 X-Star with the MCX and i probably run a total of 4000-4500+ in total ballast and the MCX with the 14.25x14 prop is excellent. Granted it will not yank you out of the water but we are cruising at 25-26 mph in around 15-20 seconds

the PWT was using the MCX with the PWT setup for a while but now on most of the boats they use the LY6. I know that Rusty has the L18, Zane only has the LY6, but he has had the MCX in his boats for a while.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
seems like everybody is a comedian these days. don't ya'll know that's MY job?

marty5
02-09-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks for the feedback...I guess the 350MCX doesn't scare me that much, not planning on turning pro anytime soon, and if I'm in the mood for more HP I'll switch to my land toys...or the 210HP RXP it will be sitting next to. Thanks!

Jerseydave
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Marty, sounds like a nice deal.

My '05 has the MCX and with the right prop (not 13.7 X 17) it will handle extra ballast and people fine. (4000 lbs. and 10 people, it won't)

With that said, I run 1500 lbs. plus stock ballast with the MCX but I wouldn't recommend any more than that.

Mine has the stock JL setup, 4 tower speakers, 6 cockpit and one sub. If you adjust the gain on the amps the tower speakers will come alive. The only way to make it better would be new tower speakers that actually project the sound better (NVS or Wetsounds) An extra amp would help, but those JL's are not made to throw sound a long distance.

Rest assured, you're buying the best wakeboard boat hull available regardless of engine size. Have fun with it!

magnum
02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
i think the mcx 350 is too small for the x-star. i test drove one and it had a little power but during the summer last year i drove one with a 400hp and then i also drove one witha 450hp. the 450 awsome but if you don't want to pull alot of things or ppl then the 350 or 400 would be fine