PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dipstick....Need help!

learjet2230
02-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm questioning the oil level in my boat. Seems like it reads high all the time. Just recently changed the oil and it always read way above the safe level, before and after. I thought it might be the way it sits in the lift. I then started checking it in the water and no change. I have only put 5 qts in it, and changed the filter. I have looked everywhere for oil capacity, with no luck. Two things that I am starting to wonder....

1. Is this only a 4 qt system?
2. Is the dipstick the correct one?

Can some folks with an Indmar 351 give me some dipstick measurements.

Also the oil type in the owners manual says 30W for oil viscosity. Is this right! Anybody running straight 30W? I have 10W30 in it right now and was planning on running 10W40 or 20W50 in the summer.
All help apprecated.
Nik

TMCNo1
02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm questioning the oil level in my boat. Seems like it reads high all the time. Just recently changed the oil and it always read way above the safe level, before and after. I thought it might be the way it sits in the lift. I then started checking it in the water and no change. I have only put 5 qts in it, and changed the filter. I have looked everywhere for oil capacity, with no luck. Two things that I am starting to wonder....

Also the oil type in the owners manual says 30W for oil viscosity. Is this right! Anybody running straight 30W? I have 10W30 in it right now and was planning on running 10W40 or 20W50 in the summer.
All help apprecated.
Nik

Mine has been like that for 19 years. I just marked the dipstick with a fine file and go by the new markings. I was told several years ago, that some of the 351W's had the wrong dipstick put in them by Ford/Indmar. It's always the same level before a oil change as it is after and it has been run and cooled down and all the oil has returned to the pan. 5 quarts with a filter according to my owners manual.

WilliM1940
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
There is a bunch of info on oil in this forum. With the 351 you should be running race oil, off road or diesel rated oil. The reason is you have a flat tappet cam, and a zinc phosphate (wear) additive no longer is in typical automotive oils that are intended for roller cam use. I use Mobil 1 5-40 Diesel, others use 20-50 race oil. If you prefer a specific brand, go to their respective websites to view the application.

east tx skier
02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
If you stick with the 30W, you can use the Rotella T as well as the SAE 30 and SAE40 still have the ZDDP. As for the dipstick, I'll see if I can dig up a part number from my 93, which I verified as the correct dipstick pn with a mc dealer. I was always able to get 5 qts if you count what I primed the filter with.

Edit. Part number for my 93 351 HO dipstick was D5UE 6750 AF Ford M. Depending on the filter, the filter will hold between 3/4 -- 1 qt. Pan will hold 4 qts.

TMCNo1
02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
If you stick with the 30W, you can use the Rotella T as well as the SAE 30 and SAE40 still have the ZDDP. As for the dipstick, I'll see if I can dig up a part number from my 93, which I verified as the correct dipstick pn with a mc dealer. I was always able to get 5 qts if you count what I primed the filter with.

Edit. Part number for my 93 351 HO dipstick was D5UE 6750 AF Ford M. Depending on the filter, the filter will hold between 3/4 -- 1 qt. Pan will hold 4 qts.

Thanks Doug for the part #! I may just have to splurdge go to a Ford dealer here in Tennessee and get one!

east tx skier
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
You're welcome. I'm presuming that the PN is the same for the 351 as the 351HO. I figure it would be as same block and all.

TMCNo1
02-09-2008, 01:49 PM
You're welcome. I'm presuming that the PN is the same for the 351 as the 351HO. I figure it would be as same block and all.

I can take mine with me and compare the marks on mine to the new one, It should be close enough.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm questioning the oil level in my boat. Seems like it reads high all the time. Two things that I am starting to wonder....

Mine reads full at 4 quarts and thats what I run it at. I have looked in both the MC and Indmar manuals (I bought their Ford service manual) and no spec for capacity is given in either. My thought is that the engine sitting at an angle is what effects the reading and they rely on the dipstick markings for the correct level.

learjet2230
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I did switch today from 10W30 Q state to ya'lls recommendation. I went online an researched ZDDP. Turns out Castrol HD30 has the highest concentration according to the site I read. Sucked out the old and put in fresh 30W and a new filter. I will run 40W in the summer if I can find it. Pressure was quite a bit higher too. Ran around 50 at power and settled to 30psi at idle after it was hot. Just got back from a 2hour + booze cruise. 70+ degrees and absolutely no wind. Will post a few pics in "glass waters". Had a little too much Cap'n -n- Coke though. Wow, and it is only 4:30pm.