PDA

View Full Version : Oil question

Bruce
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I know another oil question! I just picked up Penzoil 15-40 Gold for oil change (1999 Maristar Vortec). Manual says use CG-4SJ. This says CG-4 on the bottle but no SJ. Deal or no deal?

TMCNo1
02-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I know another oil question! I just picked up Penzoil 15-40 Gold for oil change (1999 Maristar Vortec). Manual says use CG-4SJ. This says CG-4 on the bottle but no SJ. Deal or no deal?

BigMac, Code Blue, Stat, Code Blue, Stat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peason
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Bruce, I think you should be fine. I would do a search of this forum on oil - there have been many debates on what oil to use.

Here is an excerpt on motor oil from Wikipedia:

Motor oils are further categorized by their API service class[1]. The API service classes have two general classifications: S for "Service" (orgininating from Spark ignition) (typical passenger cars and light trucks using gasoline engines) and C for "Commercial" (orgininating from Compression ignition) (typical diesel equipment). Note that the API oil classification structure has eliminated specific support for wet-clutch motorcycle applications in their descriptors, and API SJ & newer oils are referred to be specific to automobile and light truck use. Accordingly, motorcycle oils are subject to their own unique standards. The latest API service standard designation is SM for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SM standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. All previous service designations are obsolete, although motorcycle oils commonly still utilize the SF/SG standard. There are seven diesel engine service designations which are current: CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, and CF. All others are obsolete. It is possible for an oil to conform to both the gasoline and diesel standards. Engine oil which has been tested and meets the API standards may display the API starburst symbol with the service designation on containers sold to oil users. The latest guide to API oil certifications can be found at [2].

Bruce
02-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Bruce, I think you should be fine. I would do a search of this forum on oil - there have been many debates on what oil to use.

Here is an excerpt on motor oil from Wikipedia:

Motor oils are further categorized by their API service class[1]. The API service classes have two general classifications: S for "Service" (orgininating from Spark ignition) (typical passenger cars and light trucks using gasoline engines) and C for "Commercial" (orgininating from Compression ignition) (typical diesel equipment). Note that the API oil classification structure has eliminated specific support for wet-clutch motorcycle applications in their descriptors, and API SJ & newer oils are referred to be specific to automobile and light truck use. Accordingly, motorcycle oils are subject to their own unique standards. The latest API service standard designation is SM for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines. The SM standard refers to a group of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories include SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. All previous service designations are obsolete, although motorcycle oils commonly still utilize the SF/SG standard. There are seven diesel engine service designations which are current: CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, and CF. All others are obsolete. It is possible for an oil to conform to both the gasoline and diesel standards. Engine oil which has been tested and meets the API standards may display the API starburst symbol with the service designation on containers sold to oil users. The latest guide to API oil certifications can be found at [2].

Many thanks Peason. Actually I did a search but it did not bring up the CG 4SJ question. However your answer did! I knew when I used the "o" word I would probably be persona non Grata in the eyes of many. However, you came through and no personal abuse!

bigmac
02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
CG4 was the standard oil for diesels back in about 1996. The oil Bruce mentions is not up to current specs, but I doubt it would hurt anything to use.