PDA

View Full Version : Previous Thread on Replacing Trailer Bunks???

bobbyB
02-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm sure that this has been gone over in some previous thread. I've searched and found some threads on replacing the carpet, but not the bunks themselves. Can someone point me towards where to find.

Also, opinions of using a composite decking type material vs. a pressure treated type natural wood?

B

east tx skier
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sure that this has been gone over in some previous thread. I've searched and found some threads on replacing the carpet, but not the bunks themselves. Can someone point me towards where to find.

Also, opinions of using a composite decking type material vs. a pressure treated type natural wood?

B

The composite stuff MC used on the v bunk was not particularly resilient over time. Tended to crumble. I'd go with wood. On a two bunk, use your old bunks as templates for the holes. You will need some mechanical advantage to get them into place in the front and get the desired twist to contour to the hull. Also, when the boat is back on the trailer, go back and retighten your nuts to the carriage bolts. One last thing, if I could do it again, I'd double nut the bolt rather than use a nylock nut. Carriage bolts can turn inside the wood and it is easier to get a regular nut sufficiently torqued on without making the bolt turn versus a nylock nut.

whitedog
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
The composite stuff MC used on the v bunk was not particularly resilient over time. Tended to crumble. I'd go with wood. On a two bunk, use your old bunks as templates for the holes. You will need some mechanical advantage to get them into place in the front and get the desired twist to contour to the hull. Also, when the boat is back on the trailer, go back and retighten your nuts to the carriage bolts. One last thing, if I could do it again, I'd double nut the bolt rather than use a nylock nut. Carriage bolts can turn inside the wood and it is easier to get a regular nut sufficiently torqued on without making the bolt turn versus a nylock nut.

When I replaced the bunks on my trailer last year, I used redwood instead of pressure treated. Also easier to use stainless steal bolts than carriage bolts. You will be able to re torque them later and take them out if you need to recarpet in the future.

bobbyB
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Stainless with double nuts....sounds good.

Redwood? Closest thing around this area is Ceder and I don't think it's strong enough for my comfort level. Is Redwood stronger? If yes, then I'll have the local lumber yard order me some.

B

east tx skier
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
When I replaced the bunks on my trailer last year, I used redwood instead of pressure treated. Also easier to use stainless steal bolts than carriage bolts. You will be able to re torque them later and take them out if you need to recarpet in the future.

I used stainless carriage bolts. I assume you used stainless lag screws instead?

Sodar
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I used pressure treated wood. And remember to double up the carpet for some added cushion and protection

sk8salomon
02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
like above, and i'll add S.S. staples.